• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annoucement of New Cabinet Ministers.

rcr

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/07/19/martin_cab040719.html

Bill Graham expected to take over Defence, as his position in Foreign Affairs will be taken over by Pierre Pettigrew.

I have a feeling from hearing his comments in the past the old Bill already has some firm ideas on what direction he wants the Forces to go in. He also is pushing for a full foreign policy review followed by Defence review. Excellent! More Change!!

HCA said:
I have a feeling from hearing his comments in the past the old Bill already has some firm ideas on what direction he wants the Forces to go in. He also is pushing for a full foreign policy review followed by Defence review. Excellent! More Change!!

I don't know if your being sarcastic or you ment that but with the way things are going in the Canadian Forces, change and I mean big change looks to be needed.  :-\

I think Bill will do a great job as the new Minister of Defence; he has done a great job thus far as the Foreign Affairs Minister.

Huh?

What great job?

Do you mean all the problems he solved with the US?  You know, solving the softwood, beef, immigration problems and so on?

Or the problems he solved with Saudi Arabia arresting our people?

Or the problems he solved with Iran murdering our people?

Or the fishing disputes?

Or the territorial disputes with Denmark?

He has done nothing as foreign affairs.  And he'll do nothing as MND.  Another position, with the same perks.

I wish that the liberals would do something right for the Armed Forces.  But of course they won't, because they're liberals.

Bill is a big fan of the international criminal court.  I can see it now, Bin Laden will say, "Gee we better not perpetrate any more crimes against humanity because we might be tried in the international criminal court."  This is not really great news for the CF.
Greg

I'm adopting a wait and see for now, in the past he's been the puppet for Uncle Jean.

We'll see how Martin runs the show.

IMO - Watch and Shoot.  Now as MND his eyes will be opened to many new things, and hopefully he will use his powers for good and the new Defence review and Foreign Policy review will work to Canada's (and the CF's) advantage.

Maybe we should let him in on the whole MGS thing...

1.  Notice the pecking order (i.e. where MND and his ADM are on the PM's website)

2.  Note also the emphasis on official languages in the MND's and ADM's bio's.

C'est domage.  Looks like the CF will become even more politically correct.

PM's list of cabinet

Mr. Graham:
A past president of the Alliance française de Toronto, Mr. Graham has been recognized for his contributions to French language and culture in Ontario by being granted the Prix Jean-Baptiste Rousseaux, the Médaille d'argent de la ville de Paris, the Médaille d'or de l'Alliance française, and the Ordre du mérite de l'Association des juristes de l'Ontario. He has been made Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur and Chevalier de l'Ordre de la Pléiade.

Mr. Belanger:
Deputy Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, Minister responsible for Official Languages, Minister responsible for Democratic Reform and Associate Minister of National Defence

Mauril Bélanger was first elected to the House of Commons in a by-election in February 1995 and was re-elected in the 1997, 2000 and 2004 general elections. He has served as Chair of the Standing Committee on Official Languages, a member of the Standing Committee on the Library of Parliament and a member of the Prime Minister's Caucus Task Force on Urban Issues. From July 1998 to August 2000, he was Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage, and in 2003 he was named Deputy Leader of the Government in the House of Commons

Prior to entering politics, Mr. Bélanger held various positions in the public and private sectors. In the early 1980s, he worked for the Honourable Jean-Luc Pépin, then Minister of Transport. In the mid to late 1980s, he worked as a registered investment advisor. He was Chief of Staff to the Chair of the Regional Council of Ottawa-Carleton prior to his election to the House of Commons.

In 1977, Mr. Bélanger graduated from the University of Ottawa, where he was president of the Students' Federation. He is married to Catherine.

Politically correct?  Maybe.  Looks like it will become more french-influenced.  This minority government is just an opportunity to campaign while imitating government, after all.  And if you keep the Quebeckers happy, they vote Liberal.

It's about making the BQ look less effective, so that Montreal and Toronto can elect them in again.

I suppose this would be the wrong time to petition the DND of going all english.  I realize the chances of have a R22nd section on my flank but wouldn't a one language army (sep. cmbt arms) be more effective?

Foreign Affairs already has too much say in Defence, withtout being a former minister taking over. We don't need a diplomat, we need a warrior. My gut feeling is that he is a disciple of Axworthy's soft power. Therefor you can see  the word combat , and peacekeeping becoming out reason for being.

Infanteer couldn't have summed it up better.

RCA said:
Foreign Affairs already has too much say in Defence, withtout being a former minister taking over. We don't need a diplomat, we need a warrior. My gut feeling is that he is a disciple of Axworthy's soft power. Therefor you can see   the word combat , and peacekeeping becoming out reason for being.

Infanteer couldn't have summed it up better.

Pfffft.  That is rediculous.  The two are intertwined as they must be.  I agree we need a robust CANADIAN foreign policy, one that is translated into greater support for defence.  But to say it has too much say is foolish.  What needs to be done is more liaison between the two, and to ensure that we are singing a similar (if not the same) song.  We need identifiable foreign policy goals and objectives that are tied to defence.  The Aussies don't go stomping about the world without a robust foreign policy, not the two are tied and mutually supportive.  Ours is not.  We need more interaction, not less.

As for peacekeeping, guess what Guns, ask any average Canadian and THAT is what the CF is to them (if anything at all).  Who totes that image mate?  We do.  We are a soft power...as are the Aussies.  What we should be is a weak power...which is where we are heading.

So I believe this new MND is in for a bit of a surprise coming from DFA and HOPEFULLY he will use his powers for the common, CANADIAN good.

As for combat... wish you were in Iraq do you???

Cheers,
Mike

I agree with Anti-armour, and would like to expand on one of his points:

Military action on foreign soil (whether that be war, Ops other than War, or whatever other term is used) is the result of CIVILIAN leaders enforcing the Canadian Foreign Policy. With the exception of actual defence of Canada (not within our capabilities anyhow, except an attack from Iceland), the Minister of Foreign Affairs, MND, and the PM must be on the same page philosophically. Love him or hate him (I'm not sure yet), Graham's experience as MFA is a huge asset to his new post.

As for needing a warrior in the post of MND, I could not disagree more. Our system is set up as a Civie (MND) and a 'Warrior' (CDS). We need an actual Warrior as CDS, not as MND. The MND is supposed to balance the 'Hawk' philosophy of the CDS, and the CDS is to balance the 'Dove' MND, thereby ensuring the military remains a CONTROLLED tool of the elected civie powers.

But that's just my opinion.

What was meant, and it wasn't clear in my original post, is the word combat will disappear (as in combat capable), and peacekeeping will become or only reason for being. Taken to the nth degree, we might as well be the international section of the RCMP.

Going hand in hand true, but that is not the case these days. Who announces major troop deployments (when the PM doesn't). Its not Defence, its Foreign Affairs. We are a very junior (and often times unheard) member (not partner) in international policy, especially when it comes to decisions on deploying troops.

And by soft power, I mean speak softly and carry no stick. The Military is not an instrument of a nation's foreign policy other then stopping fanatics from killing each other. Defensive with no offensive capabilities required.

Ceasar, that may work, if in fact we had a "warrior" as CDS.

Instead, we have a puppet, who was perfect for Chretien, for he never ever would say anything that might actually benefit the troops under his command.  Henault is the perfect CDS for the liberals.  Someone in uniform who is not a leader, who is not a warrior, who would never rock the boat.

Lance Wiebe said:
Ceasar, that may work, if in fact we had a "warrior" as CDS.

Instead, we have a puppet, who was perfect for Chretien, for he never ever would say anything that might actually benefit the troops under his command.   Henault is the perfect CDS for the liberals.   Someone in uniform who is not a leader, who is not a warrior, who would never rock the boat.

I sorta disagree with you... General Henault has probably been one of the most active (behind the scenes) CDS' we've had in some time.  Remember the DCDS telling a parliamentary comittee that he briefed (then) MND Eggleton on JTF2 activities in A'stan?  There is no way the DCDS would have blown off his political masters without a nod from the CDS.  The problem is he wears a uniform, so when his boss states... "that's the end of it".  Well guess what?  Even a General has to follow orders.  I'd take him over any of the others we've had, remember Baril?  Blaming us for the Challenger screw up?  That was a PM fault.

I can't wait to see what happens when a real warfighter and warrior like Leslie becomes CDS...  sadly sometimes he too will probably have to "carry on"...

@ RCS, that is much more clear.  I agree we need to bring defence and defence policy (the new one) to a more equal footing with DFA.

As with any minister being appointed, all that can really be done is wait and see what happens. At least with Graham there's a higher profile than most others, so there is potential for the forces to get a little more attention if he plays his cards that way. Additionally, due to his previous position, he likely has a much better grasp of where the forces stand in the context of the world than many others would.

Infanteer said:
Bill Graham expected to take over Defence

Ah Shit....

Maybe so Infanteer, but I get the feeling you would be saying that regardless of who was put in the position. Take a look at who's in the house playing for the red team. Who would you prefer?

At least its not Jack Layton or Libby Davies, who knows what sort of demands the NDP would have made if they got one more seat away from the Bloc or Alliance.

Back