• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All You Want To Know About Bagpipes[ and then some]- Merged

Congrats Hale! My pipe teacher used to tell me that until you learned to play the scale properly all you were doing was playing the agony bags.  The first tune I ever learned to play all the way through was "Scots Wae Hae".  It wasn't until years later after seeing Braveheart that I finally understood what the tune was about. 

anyone? anyone? still looking for a contact number.
I guess MP doesn't want to play nice.
Greg

Sorry to post on an old subject. But here goes.

Does anyone here have a copy of "Farewell to Nova Scotia" for the pipes? I had the copy once and lost it when I moved.

Thanks for your time,
TN2IC

TN, try www.viperpiper.org  There have been requests made in the past for the music and music has been sent. 

or

Contact the Cape Breton Gaelic school and ask for the sheet music to be sent to you. 

or

Contact the PDM at the Stad band and ask if they will give you a copy of a transposed piece. 

TN2IC said:
Sorry to post on an old subject. But here goes.

Does anyone here have a copy of "Farewell to Nova Scotia" for the pipes? I had the copy once and lost it when I moved.

Thanks for your time,
TN2IC

I have a copy of it in bww, if you have the program.  PM me with your email addy and ill send it to you.

I'm a piper (not military, but I do do military reenactment as a WWII Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders piper). My favorite tunes are as follows:

4/4 March: You guessed it...Scotland the Brave. There's a reason why it's played so much I say! I like playing it in sets as follows: STB/Lord Lovat's Lament/Braes of Killiecrankie/STB. Or Cabar Feidh/STB/Haughs of Cromdale/Col. Sinclair

2/4 March: Many good ones, I particularly like Balmoral Highlanders, Inverness Gathering, and  Lord Alexander Kennedy

6/8 March: Atholl Highlanders. I can play the full 6 part version though I often play an adapted 2-part version.

Retreats: I like Colin's Cattle, Lochanside, Highland Brigade at Magersfontein. I couldn't care less for "Green Hills of Tyrol".

Strathspeys: Duke of Gordon's Birthday, Miss Drummond of Perth, Marquis of Huntly and Miss Ada Crawford are among my favorites.

Reels: I love Sandy Duff, also Reel of Tulloch and Miss Proud.

Slow Airs: The Flowers of the Forest, The Return of the Unknown Soldier and the Sands of Kuwait are among my favorites.

I just realized how old this thread is. BTW, my pipes are Canadian-made (Dunbar). They're a plastic set; I am planning to get a blackwood set by next May (which will be in essence the 10th anniversary of my starting on the chanter). I am looking into both new and used pipes. The main brands I would consider are Fletcher, Pettigrew, Caledonia Road (from Toronto), Warnock (would have to be used and I would have to research this maker more) and maybe a VERY EARLY used Hardie set.

Go for the Hardies! I have a set of early 50's Hardies and they are a nice mellow tone.  Not silver mounted or anything, but a great set of pipes.  I have to use a band chanter, but the matched wood chanter with the big sole has a great tone too.

Does anyone have good contacts from players of the uilleann pipes? Specifically in the Scarborough/East Toronto area.

I would like to enquire about lessons.

dileas

tess

I'm on the GHB, but there are Canadian based contacts here: http://www.uilleann.com/contacts.html

You might also take a serious look at the Naill pipes if you are looking at new ones - they have excellent tone and the Naill chanter is hghly regarded for solo play.  The plastic McCallum chanter is a very good solo or band chanter that is quite durable for travelling.
Hardies are just fine for a good mid range quality pipe, but like any pipes, make sure you examine the bores and listen to the drones before you buy them.  They have had some quality control issue over the years, such as the jigs not meeting evenly when drilling out the stock, but they do have good tone.  Of course an old set of Hendersons would be a delight to find; they really sing.

Cheers,

trying to learn. but it's pretty difficult when you've got IBTS training, Ironman training, and sheer exhaustion to throw into the equation as well. Hopefully the Pipe Major and I can hook up soon so I can learn some more stuff with the chanter. I haven't even tried to touch the pipes yet.

redleafjumper said:
Of course an old set of Hendersons would be a delight to find; they really sing.

tell me about it brother.  I'd just about kill for a set of 1900 Henderson's right about now.

tell me about it brother.  I'd just about kill for a set of 1900 Henderson's right about now.

I am sure you aren't the only one.  I thought that I would mention them as I know a very good piper who, as a child was given the choice of a "used" and well-loved set of Hendersons and a "new" set of Hardies.  He chose the Hardies and has often regreted that choice.

It is all about how those drones tune and sound.

Brendo_51 said:
hey what is your favorite bagpipe tunes?

mine would have to be

Highland Cathedral
Maple Leaf Forever/Alberta Bound
Black Bear
Ballad of the Green Beret, when done with pipes is awesome

Fav tunes come and go for me.  Really depends on how many times I play said fav tunes.

Currently, Blue Cloud and Mason's Apron with big bold slurs are turning my crank!

Please help me to settle an argument about bag pipes.  Is it possible to play Last Post and Reveille on the bag pipes?  If not, why not?  It seems to me that a piper told me years ago that it can't be done.  Thanks for your help.    Ubique

fiddlehead said:
Please help me to settle an argument about bag pipes.  Is it possible to play Last Post and Reveille on the bag pipes?  If not, why not?  It seems to me that a piper told me years ago that it can't be done.  Thanks for your help.    Ubique

From my experience; No. Not accurately.  Not enough notes on the bagpipes to play the full range of either tune.

But, I have seen many "interpretations" and "Transpositions" of both tunes... they just vaguely sound like the original.

I googled "bagpipes+reveille" and found "Reveille" on the bagpipes. As RHFC inferred though, it didn't sound much like reveille to me...

Back