• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All You Want To Know About Bagpipes[ and then some]- Merged

RHFC_piper,

I am in awe of you.  You served in the same Company of the greatest Battalion I did, and you also carry on the tradition of the highlanders!

findlater1.jpg

http://heritage.scotsman.com/greatscots.cfm?id=39912005

Dileas Gu Brath, Pro Patria!!

tess

Wasn't really sure where this question belongs...But I had some questions about learning the pipes.
They have interested me for a number of years now and I figure ill need a hobby in battalion. So I was wondering If there was and CF program or club in Petewawa for this sort of thing. If not what are the best ways to learn? self taught, music books, peers?

thanks

If you want to learn the pipes the proper way, you should find someone on base who is willing to give you lessons, or join a band if there are any around. If you have a good tutor, you won't need any books, and you can use that money to help buy a half decent practice chanter/set of pipes.

DiamondDarryl said:
Wasn't really sure where this question belongs...But I had some questions about learning the pipes.
They have interested me for a number of years now and I figure ill need a hobby in battalion. So I was wondering If there was and CF program or club in Petewawa for this sort of thing. If not what are the best ways to learn? self taught, music books, peers?

thanks

Across the street from the 1 & 3 RCR shacks, in what looks like an old run down shack, there is the 2 CMBG P&D band building.  Just go snooping around there on a Wednesday night (I'm pretty sure thats when they practice.). Option 2; ask around battailion for fellow pipers... There are a lot, just ask around.

I agree with Conquistador on his post; Don't try to learn from a book alone.  There is a lot of technique to playing that you cannot learn from a book.  I mentioned this to my father (who has recently taken up the violin); when it comes to musical instruments, experience and skill is better to learn from than books.  Whenever we have a piper join ou band who has learned from a book on their own time, we usually have to reteach them the basics, and it usually hurts their overall skills. (they tend to go back to bad technique made up from interpretation)

There are CF courses and programs, but only if you're a bandsman... then they're all at the School of Music in CFB Borden.  You're better off finding an experienced piper and learning.

The 2 CMBG Pipes and Drums Band has pipers from every trade in Petawawa, so it's not exclusive.  If they are like any other band, they'll probably train new pipers for free, otherwise private pipe lessons can be very costly.

Either way, like Conquistador said; at least buy a half decent practice chanter, and if you like to play and want to continue after learning the basics, get a decent set of pipes.  I'd suggest  McCallums AB1 or AB2.. they're good beginner sets.  Don't go out and buy a $3000 set until you can actually play (might take a few years).  Some bands actually provide pipes for students (and sometimes it turns into a long time loan.. like mine.) I don't know if the P&D band in Petawawa does this, but every band in Canada is entitled to cash for instruments, so I'll bet they do.

Anyway, I hope this has helped a little.  Good luck with the piping, and don't rush through the basics.

If you are going to Pet, then the 2 CMBG Pipes and Drums would be a good bet.  They perpetuate the SSF Pipes and Drums and still maintain close links with the various 1SSF and Airborne associations.  This means that they quite often have the opportunity to go to Montana or down to Ft Benning for those Reunions.  They do have a very good band and also Highland Dancers.  They can put on quite a good show.

Don't pipers tend to start on the tin whistle or is that just for the Irish bagpipes ?

AJFitzpatrick said:
Don't pipers tend to start on the tin whistle or is that just for the Irish bagpipes ?

Nope... Pipers start with the practice chanter, which is identical to the Chanter on the bagpipes, but with a plastic reed and much more quiet.

The tin whistle (Irish whistle) has the same number of holes but a different type of fingering; the tin whistle is played with the finger tips and the bagpipes are played with the flats of the fingers below the first knuckles (back from the finger tips) on the index, middle and ring finger, and the first flat below the tip on the pinky finger.  Also, the Tin Whistle has 2 scales based on how hard you blow, where as the pipes have one scale (from low G to high A... which is why you can't play O' Canada on the pipes).

I would advise any new pipers to not learn the tin whistle first, it will just mess you up when you try to learn the pipes.  Stick with the chanter.

* Quick chanter history *
When Pipes were banned in Britton, Pipers learned to play with quiet practice chanters so as not to be caught and put to death for practicing the instrument of war.  Before then, pipers had to learn on the bag pipes alone.  Anyone who plays would know that would be exceedingly difficult.

As for Irish Pipes (uilleann pipes); They're fingering is the same as the Great Highland Bagpipes (most common pipes) but usually with bellows and wacky looking drones.  Same goes for Shuttle Pipes, Chamber Pipes, and Scottish small pipes; fingering is all the same, but with subtle differences in pitch, tone, volume and playing techniques... but the fingering is all the same, and nothing like a tin whistle or flute.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks RHFC_piper

We had a piper at our high school who played us to the field for our Rugby games. Instruments of war indeed, the intimidation was worth a try or two.

No problem.  I love the shrill skirl of the pipes, always have... that's why I learned to play.

as a side note; I edited my last post, had to correct my mixed up head again (re. Irish pipes.) So to clarify, here's some pics.

Great Highland Bagpipes
ghp.jpg

3 Drones (2 Tennor, 1 Bass), Blow stick, and Chanter (with Wood reed)
Main Characteristic: Loud... very very loud.

Scottish Small Pipes
Scotishsmallpipes.jpg

2 Drones (1 Tennor, 1 Bass), Bellows (sometimes they have a blow stick), and Chanter (Reed can be D, Bb, A, D /A combo)
Main Characteristic: Only slightly louder than a practice chanter, same tone as a practice chanter.

Irish (Uilleann) Pipes
uilleann_masterset1.jpg

Drone cluster (unsure of specific tones), Bellows, Chanter
Main Characteristics: I don't know too much about these, but they sound a lot like the Scottish Small Pipes

Shuttle Pipes
shuttlepipes.jpg

Single drone tube with 3 reeds (practice chanter reeds), blowstick and Chanter (practice chanter)
Main Characteristics: Basically, this is a practice chanter with a bag.  The drones play the same reed as the chanter and are set with the slides on the drone tube.
* Great for beginners to get used to breathing technique while playing.

Practice Chanter
a_practice.gif

Simply a 'blow stick' and a 'Chanter' from a full set of pipes, with a plastic reed and less noise.
Manditory for learning music and fingering.

Pipers use practice chanters through out their piping life, to practice fingering, practice grace notes and learn / memorize music (we don't carry sheet music around with us).

If you are getting posted to Pet then you are in Luck..  The Pipe Major of the 2CMBG Pipes and Drums is Colin Clansey.. One of the best players in the world.
With 4 world Championships under his belt, I am sure he can start you off on the right foot !!

Cheers,

RHFC_piper said:
Great Highland Bagpipes
ghp.jpg

3 Drones (2 Tennor, 1 Bass), Blow stick, and Chanter (with Wood reed)
Main Characteristic: Loud... very very loud.

And all of my street love me for it! Screw the chanter. j/k   ;D

TN2IC said:
And all of my street love me for it! Screw the chanter. j/k   ;D

Heh... I just moved into a new house and have yet to fire up the horns for the neighbours...  going to be good times. :cheers:

Goosing..... yeah..... makes ones blood pressure rise... hehehe...  ;D

I'd like to start playing the bagpipes also. Do you guys know if anyone at the Aldershot base plays the pipes? If all goes well thats where I'll be this summer. ......although i here the people in Kentville aren't very hospitable to the men and women of the Aldershot base, but thats another topic. Also how much is a good practice chanter worth? Isn't $3000 a bit steep for bagpipes? lol no offense

Thanks Steve  :salute:

I paid $300 for my chanter and $3000 is normal for a set of pipes. I use to go to Aldershot all the time. But no more. As for pipers out that way... can't think of any. Only military pipe and drum band around mainland NS is 33 SVC BN Pipe and Drum and 1 NSH. As for pipe supply, over in Burnside, place called Little Scotland can help you out. Folks in Kentville are not friendly towards us  military folks. Just keep a low profile and wear a hat.

Cheers,
TN2IC

;D

You should be ready to spend around $100 for a plastic chanter, and up to $200 for a wood one that's half decent, some are even more

As far as the $3000 set of pipes, yes that is quite a bit, but you get what you pay for. Most people I know have spent anywhere from $500 (cheap Dunbar plastic pipes) to $2500-$3000 (engraved McCallum's plus goretex bag, wood pipe chanter, nice reeds, etc)

Me, I dropped $1600 on a new set last November, and I consider it a good investment, seeing I was playing a set of plastic loaner pipes that were probably older than me!

Steve,

36 CBG Band usually calls Camp Aldershot home for the summer . . . you shouldn't have problems finding someone to help ya out.

As for the Kentville and surrounding area don't listen to many rumors (but if anyone is looking for trouble around there, trouble will find you not a problem at all. Lots of mountain people from around there more then happy to you out with that as the summer moves on and Paddy's Pub gets tired of all reservists invading the bar on cheap Tuesday's and getting out of control).

steveyb4342 said:
I'd like to start playing the bagpipes also. Do you guys know if anyone at the Aldershot base plays the pipes? If all goes well thats where I'll be this summer. ......although i here the people in Kentville aren't very hospitable to the men and women of the Aldershot base, but thats another topic. Also how much is a good practice chanter worth? Isn't $3000 a bit steep for bagpipes? lol no offense

Too bad I wasn't in a place to learn the pipes  :'( I love the pipes  ;D

WHAT! Holy good lord! Why do they cost so much?!?! My guitar was worth about the same as a good chanter!  :eek:  . Well i guess i could just buy a chanter and learn that until I get some more money...... in between rebuilding a car, building a rifle and buying a pistol lol. Yea I hope Kentville Isn't as bad as i hear, I was told i shouldnt walk alone in uniform at night! But at 6'7  and about 215-220 lbs i think i can take care of myself hahahahhaha. If worse comes to worse i may have to just sit and listen to the pipes this summer than  :'( .....maybe with a chanter? lol

George Wallace said:
They do have a very good band and also Highland Dancers.  They can put on quite a good show.
How things have changed.  When I was part of the SSF P&D we had trouble getting members let alone dancers.  They were always willing to teach new people so if you want to learn, that is good place to start and they used to provide the equipment (don't know if they still do)

Anyone know who the drum major is with 2CMBG P&D?

Back