• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All You Want To Know About Bagpipes[ and then some]- Merged

Nah I can blow out a lot of hot air no need to waste it on drums hahahaha

Steve

Don't worry, you won't be "walking" around Kentville in uniform.  ;D

And size doesn't matter these days. There are these things refer to weapons... not sure how they work.

Wow thanks alot for all the responses. I guess Ill have to mosey on over to the 2 CMBG P&D band building in the coming months and get a start.  Thanks again for all the info :salute:

DiamondDarryl said:
Wow thanks alot for all the responses. I guess Ill have to mosey on over to the 2 CMBG P&D band building in the coming months and get a start.  Thanks again for all the info :salute:

Chances are, I'll be back up in Pet by the end of this month.  Let me know when you'll be up there and I could give you a hand getting sorted out. :cheers:

Maybe I'll have to get into this... I was self taught trumpet, had that mastered in 2 years so I moved to sax in grade 9, was self taught basically because I moved so much faster than the rest of the class, now I play guitar and harmonica simultaneously both self taught...
I LOVE the pipes, it must be my highland ancestry but they've always caught my attention, I just didn't want to be freaking my cats out with a full set of pipes to learn...

Cdnrednk said:
Maybe I'll have to get into this... I was self taught trumpet, had that mastered in 2 years so I moved to sax in grade 9, was self taught basically because I moved so much faster than the rest of the class, now I play guitar and harmonica simultaneously both self taught...
I LOVE the pipes, it must be my highland ancestry but they've always caught my attention, I just didn't want to be freaking my cats out with a full set of pipes to learn...

This is why I suggest joining a band to learn (weather it be Civilian, Legion or Military).  Not only do they usually supply the pipes, but a place to play as well. 

When my folks moved to Mount Forest, my choices for locations to play were either my back yard, which annoyed the block, or an 1 1/2 hour drive to the Cambridge armouries (RHFC Band), until I met up with the Mount Forest Band.  I never played in Parades with them, but I went to their practice nights, just to have a place to play and tips from experienced pipers.

Same deal with the 2 CMBG band; I never played with them, but I practiced with them during work up. And when they weren't around, I played in the Drill Hall at Y101 (1RCR building) after hours... all you have to do is ask the Duty NCO.

Besides, My cat sits in front of me, while I play at home, and watches.  Makes me wonder what he's thinking; "Hope you don't do that to me."

If anyone's interested in getting hooked up with the 2 CMBG p & D, send me a pm and ill forward you a contact name.  Good friend of mine is a piper with 2 CMBG and im sure he'll help you out.

Piper said:
Good on you for learning the 'pipes. It's a great time, and you'll meet some amazing people doing it.

Regrettebly, I've let my skills diminish since there's no decent bands to practice with in town....and I don't have time anyways between school and work.

If you're in the Guelph Area I would suggest driving down 24 to the Cambridge Armouries on a Tuesday night around 7-7:30ish... Can't say we're a 'decent' band, but we're a band none the less... and we're always looking for pipers.

One point that I might add is that learning to play the pipes is a major commitment.  It requires a good teacher, but just as important, it requires that the student practices everyday in order to develop the skills and techniques needed to play well. 

It is easy to get discouraged in the early times, because learning the scale and the all the various gracenotes and doublings can seem daunting at first.  Many want to start off by playing tunes, but as one poster mentioned, spend the maximum time practicing the basics.  All the best pipers practice the basics as often as they can.  Don't be disappointed if you aren't playing tunes as soon as you might like.  Play the movements slowly and get them right; first you get good, then you get fast.

Good luck, and enjoy playing one of the finest instruments ever devised.

Cheers,

Piper said:
Regrettebly, I've let my skills diminish since there's no decent bands to practice with in town....and I don't have time anyways between school and work.
Know that feeling, I haven't touched the pipes since I left Pet in 89.  I couldn't afford my own pipes and just don't have the time to properly practice.

Piper said:
Good on you for learning the 'pipes. It's a great time, and you'll meet some amazing people doing it.

What? No one told him about the open bar when you play? Shame....

;)

I bought pipes while I was in edinburgh, cost me about 300 canadian for a decent wood set of pipes. My chanter cost me 8 canadian, and served me well (until it met an untimly end with my foot) and now I'm on a plastic chanter which is alright.

I am in need of a new blowpiece, as the current one is too long for me and my very short arms.

Does anyone have a recommendation for some reeds for my pipes? The ones I have aren't too good.

I'm working on my own until I start with the pipes because I don't have the $$ for a teacher at the moment.

I was re-organizing my room, and it rolled off the desk (stupid me forgot to put it away) and I stepped on it. It worked OK with the tape (it was wood, it fit back together) but I figured I better buy a new one.

On the point of the pipes being a weapon of war this goes back to the '45 Raising! Pipers where sent to London to stand trail with other Jacobites because they were with their clans! The legal ruling was made that they was combatants and not musicians because no Highland army has march without the pipes! So the pipes were said to a weapon and the pipers borne "arms" against the crown so they were hang! The pipe are still listed as a weapon of war in the British Forces! The '45 was the last in a series of raisings more commonly know by the English term of the Jacobite Rebellions! the trails took place in 1746! So for 261 years they have been weapons of war in law!!

if anyone can PM with contact info for 2 cmbg pipes and drums
think I might want to give this a whirl. always wanted to try to learn the bag pipes.
I could sort of play the recorder in public school, and I could still play hot crust buns with a recorder, could that impress them :p
Greg

ill fire off a contact name for you once I get home tomorrow night, im at work right now and dont have access to it.....

RHFC_piper said:
This is why I suggest joining a band to learn (weather it be Civilian, Legion or Military).  Not only do they usually supply the pipes, but a place to play as well. 

When my folks moved to Mount Forest, my choices for locations to play were either my back yard, which annoyed the block, ...

Speaking of annoying the neighbours...

I was in Florida from 26DEC to 30DEC, piping for my sister's wedding.  I stayed at Patrick AFB (and highly reccomend the USAF Inns to anyone travelling in the US!).
One morning I went to practice my pipes near the airfield, figuring I wouldn't disturb anyone that way.  After about 15mins a USAF Sgt walks toward me with M-16 slung over his shoulder.  The conversation went something like this:
"What are you doing?"
"Practicing my pipes, Sergeant."
"No, what are you doing on the base?"
"I'm staying in Visiting Airmens' Quarters.  I'm piping at my sister's wedding at Port Canaveral."
"Do you have I.D.?" (I give up same) "What's this?"
"Canadian Army, Reserve, Sergeant!"
"How did you get on the base?"
"Through the front gate, Sgt."
"We have a 24hour quiet policy here" (I look suspiciously at the flightline thinking 'This is an airport!?') "we'll need to check you out."..... "That means pick up your stuff and follow me,sir."
After close scrutiny of my ID and several 'phone calls to the gate and Space Coast Inn reservations desk, a more senior sgt. returns my ID and says "You're cleared."
I asked about the quiet policy and how far from any buildings I should go to practice.
He answered "You can practice right next to the buildings, or inside if you want.  The quiet story was just to get you in to the office without arresting you."
I went to the beach for any further practice.

After the wedding I wound up in their Enlisted Club, (which is now all-ranks after a fire at their Officers' Club last year) and shown some real 'Southern Hospitality'; I wound up at the base Marina and Yacht Club's tiki bar, I remember playing Happy B'day for one of the staff, and meeting the guy who'd set the USAF Police after me, not sure how I made it back to my shack.

Just had my first lesson with a Chanter, maybe when i'm next in Canada and Pet (Christmas) i'll drop into the RCR P&D's and say G'day. Its really easy where i am, we've got the Royal Australian School of Music just over the compound fence so its a pretty short walk. I'm loving it already, even if i've only really managed to hit a low G so far!
Have fun,
Hales

Back