• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beard provisions are being updated in CFP265, it was a line item on the National Defense Dress Committee minutes. Basically, people who had medical reasons to not shave were being required to shave their neck IAW CFP265. They're also speaking with the Chaplaincy as a few members of the CAF who are Christians have applied to have beards as part of their faith, and they've never crossed that bridge before.

The whole beard thing is ridiculous, and some CoCs are just dumb when it comes to applying the regulations. I've been on a Roto that the TF RSM required no-shave chits to specifically outline which areas couldn't be shaved, and the member had to shave everywhere else. Absolutely ludicrous.

Yup, its odd when you think that Assault Pioneers were required to grow beards. 

For RCAF types...does it matter, really, if the AC OP in the tower working PAR is clean shaven?  I'm not an AC OP but...my initial thought is no. 

CP-140, Herc, etc crew?  Yup...I'd rather the person fighting the fire has the best seal possible on their smoke mask;  that way they are less likely to become a casualty and make a bad situation worse.  Same for the Aviox in a non-contaminated situation.  There are times an a/c can't decent to 10k immediately.  Not such a big deal if a PAX goes hypoxic, sort of a big deal if a crewmember does.  However, I've seen folks get legit no shave chits in an operational theatre...should they be grounded if they can't shave? 

I remember an article in the Sentinel during Gulf War 1 about the sailors on the ships heading over having to shave their beards because of the CBRN threat.  What is the deal now...going to sea = clean shaven?

Eye In The Sky said:
I remember an article in the Sentinel during Gulf War 1 about the sailors on the ships heading over having to shave their beards because of the CBRN threat.  What is the deal now...going to sea = clean shaven?

Yes, anyone getting sea pay basically has to be clean shaven.

They did some testing and found that pers with beards where blowing through the air in their SCBAs in 10-15 minutes due to leaks around the masks when they were actually moving around and working.  That's too short of a time to be effective, and also means if you are part of a four person attack team that the whole team would have to pull back.

WIth a proper seal you can last 45 minutes of air without much of a big hassle, so it's a big difference.

Navy_Pete said:
Yes, anyone getting sea pay basically has to be clean shaven.

They did some testing and found that pers with beards where blowing through the air in their SCBAs in 10-15 minutes due to leaks around the masks when they were actually moving around and working.  That's too short of a time to be effective, and also means if you are part of a four person attack team that the whole team would have to pull back.

WIth a proper seal you can last 45 minutes of air without much of a big hassle, so it's a big difference.

For an operational reason this makes complete sense.

[quote author=PuckChaser] I've been on a Roto that the TF RSM required no-shave chits to specifically outline which areas couldn't be shaved, and the member had to shave everywhere else. Absolutely ludicrous.
[/quote]

I would get lightning bolt designs.

Jarnhamar said:
I would get lightning bolt designs.

If you're looking for some cool ideas:

circular_beard.jpg

beard-spiderman_2514744k.jpg

tennis_ball

Spider-beard is cool but the tennis ball head look is hard to compete with...

PuckChaser said:
The beard provisions are being updated in CFP265, it was a line item on the National Defense Dress Committee minutes. Basically, people who had medical reasons to not shave were being required to shave their neck IAW CFP265. They're also speaking with the Chaplaincy as a few members of the CAF who are Christians have applied to have beards as part of their faith, and they've never crossed that bridge before.

The whole beard thing is ridiculous, and some CoCs are just dumb when it comes to applying the regulations. I've been on a Roto that the TF RSM required no-shave chits to specifically outline which areas couldn't be shaved, and the member had to shave everywhere else. Absolutely ludicrous.

I'm withdrawing from this conversation. It's clear to me that shaving is required for CBRN reasons and the RCN  and RCAF have their reasons as well.

It is unfortunate that some want to be guided by what is currently popular and not what is required.

Perhaps a lock is now required.

We have had the same points repeatedly made as to why we must shave.

We have had the same points being made why we must be fashionable.

The discussion is now on its third or fourth turn around the circle.

Please re-read the past few pages to refine your arguments.  [;)

Temp Lock On

I was looking at joining the army reserves as an infantry soldier. Ive been growing a beard for like a year and I love it. Saying that due to the fact im I world be joining the reserves would I have to shave my beard? I know its a semi-meaningless thing but I was just wondering.

In the military you're allowed a beard with proper medical authority.

That being said; a beard can have adverse effects on your deployability for safety reasons. ie, gas masks won't seal.

I do not know how a medical chit is procured in the reserves, as I have only been in the reg force. I suggest inquiring to the recruiters with with; "I don't often shave because of iritability. How would I go about obtaining a medical chit?"

Pick a religion.

Submit a memo stating you feel your beard  helps you connect with said religion.

That easy.

(bonus points for picking an obscure religion and  not one of the gimmies)

Cwes said:
a beard can have adverse effects on your deployability for safety reasons. ie, gas masks won't seal.

Discussion of that,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=mAn_WeylNKuwjwTg0JDYBA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+seal+beard&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+seal+beard&gs_l=psy-ab.12...768762.779829.0.783433.11.11.0.0.0.0.127.781.10j1.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.cfTht8fwAUU

Cwes said:
I suggest inquiring to the recruiters with with; "I don't often shave because of iritability. How would I go about obtaining a medical chit?"

There was no mention of a medical condition ( or religious concern ),

44nic4444 said:
Ive been growing a beard for like a year and I love it.

I know its a semi-meaningless thing but I was just wondering.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

This may be crazy talk but how about you concentrate on what you can contribute to the organization instead of what, like, they can do for you?

44nic4444 said:
Saying that due to the fact im I world be joining the reserves would I have to shave my beard?

NavalMoose said:
This may be crazy talk but how about you concentrate on what you can contribute to the organization instead of what, like, they can do for you?

It does not read to me that he is asking any favours. Just a question about joining the Reserves.

I have heard the COC of units talking about Ottawa letting the CAF grow beards. Has anyone heard any information regarding this?

jackuphill2 said:
I have heard the COC of units talking about Ottawa letting the CAF grow beards. Has anyone heard any information regarding this?

I have heard this as well.  This will still preclude those of use who are required to maintain the ability to fire fighting systems.

Halifax Tar said:
I have heard this as well.  This will still preclude those of use who are required to maintain the ability to fire fighting systems.

Funny how several of our allies don't seem to have this problem...

Not only will beards make us succeptable to nation wide cbrn attacks but also lead to the collapse of dress and deportment standards.

Halifax Tar said:
I have heard this as well.  This will still preclude those of use who are required to maintain the ability to don fire fighting systems.

God forbid!

Our enemies are chomping at the bit now: All these years they've been wanting to gas Canadians from coast to coast, or cause radiation generating events in our large cities, but were held back by the certain knowledge that, other than a few seamen, the CAF was beardless!

And all these dastardly members of the RCN who actually have a beard - legally -while still serving: Slobs and rascals, all! Incapable of dressing properly as required by our standards, and equally incapable of deporting themselves properly, I tell you!

Sorry Jarnhamar, I can't tell if you were serious or being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back