• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quiet~One said:
... we can do many things well, sometimes simultaneously.  That includes defence planning, procurement...
  :eek:rly:

"You only get one chance to make a first impression."  ;)

You're not some community college kid from Manitoba trying to find online dates er, expert  too, are you? 

ballz said:
... there are plenty of professions that don't have unions that also have a grooming standard more relaxed then ours.

Some non-union employers may have higher standards than others. Funeral Directors, for example.

Professional competence is an absolute and appropriate expectation.
But, for certain professions, the military for example, it is not the only expectation.
I believe this is explained to applicant's before they join.

See also,

All things beard-y (regs, memos, Army/Navy) - merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29581.350
15 pages.

Quiet~One said:
Hi,

Long time lurker.  Mods, I have read the appropriate starter's pages etc.

So, in my mind, there are a few things going on here.  One guys opinion, but have at:

It is easy to say it is on the member, they know what they joined, but in all my experience, we are hemorrhaging soldiers, sailors and fliers airman.  This is an easy thing to change, and it might be a little thing, but maybe its the final straw for some soldier? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airman
An airman is a member of the air component of a nation's armed service.

Just my pet peeve. Good post.

Cheers

Beards unprofessional? What is professional then? Being 300lbs? Being so weak and tiny that you can't hold your rifle properly? NCOs and Officers that look so old and worn out, you'd think they should have been CRA a decade ago? How about fixing these issues? Pathetic.

mariomike said:
Some non-union employers may have higher standards than others. Funeral Directors, for example.

Professional competence is an absolute and appropriate expectation.
But, for certain professions, the military for example, it is not the only expectation.
I believe this is explained to applicant's before they join.

See also,

All things beard-y (regs, memos, Army/Navy) - merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29581.350
15 pages.

I think you are trying to have an argument with me about whether or not the military needs to have grooming standards, which is not an argument that I was ever having.

There is nothing unprofessional about having a beard. Just because a bunch of people that grew up in an era when being "clean shaven" was the trendy thing say that a beard is unprofessional doesn't make it so.

Those same people also say that a mustache waxed and curled in the most God awful way is a professional look. They are wrong. By today's fashion trends, those people actually look unprofessional.

And that's all this comes down to, fashion trends. Which leads me back to my original point... we are absolute joke for spending so much time worrying about fashion trends and comparatively almost no time worrying about some pretty important stuff.

If the CAF will begin to accept current fashion trends...next up man buns, and
we you will all be issued crocs for the parade square.  :rofl:

Man buns are the sole reason I can use to justify the death penalty.

kratz said:
If the CAF will begin to accept current fashion trends...next up man buns, and
we you will all be issued crocs for the parade square.  :rofl:

All jokes aside, I never thought about man buns when I was talking about how the CAF is going to get pwned by someone who wants to make a public spectacle regarding the gender stereotypes that are strongly strongly reinforced by the CAF (all the while making people do "gender based analysis" courses and having an Op HONOUR crusade)...

but that is something to be weary of!

So if I,  as a physical male, decide to self identify as a female can I grow a beard since the dress policy doesn't discuss "women" growing beards?
???

Pusser said:
If you can pass the test and get a seal, then I see no reason to not allow someone to wear a beard.  The trouble is that now, they won't even let you take the test unless you are clean shaven.  Oddly, this does not extend to CBRN training...

So, again, I'll explain why you're wrong*

1) there is a possibility that a leak created on the face to face piece seal could create a venturi effect and actually draw toxins in to the face piece. This would be a sustained leak, like one that could in theory be caused by an air gap created by your beard. Your beard would make movement of the face piece during periods of exertion much easier - and trust me, face pieces move on everyone under periods of exertion.
2) beard hair wrecks the sealing surface of the face piece. This is even more prevalent since most SCBA started getting CBRN designation and had to use different materials. Stubble and beard hair is like a wire brush. I have seen this.

Just because you got a successful fit test with your beard is irrelevant. It should not have been done. Besides which, I would suspect that you probably influenced the test by over tightening the face piece to reflect a good result with your beard. I can pass the test with any size mask if I reef on the straps, I can pass just by holding the mask to my face.

*all as a general rule of thumb - another reason why a blanket policy is a good idea. And all given in a bit more detail than the actual directives would.

Far as what the military does, I don't care - just to be clear. But when you could have to wear some form of respiratory equipment as a part of your job, well, you come in to my wheelhouse as a SME.

Jarnhammer, give 'er, grow the beard once you identify as female, just don't wear SCBA ;)

ballz said:
I think you are trying to have an argument with me about whether or not the military needs to have grooming standards, which is not an argument that I was ever having.

Not at all, Ballz. This 4-page thread is nothing new. These haircut and shaving discussions have been going on for a long time.

CF Hair Regulations (males, females, cultural, & colouring)
17 pages.

All things beard-y
15 pages.

The Shaving Superthread
25 pages.

etc...

ballz said:
Just because a bunch of people that grew up in an era when being "clean shaven" was the trendy thing say that a beard is unprofessional doesn't make it so.

Long hair and sideburns, earrings for men, tattoos and piercings, beards.

In a non-union workplace - such as the CAF - my understanding ( not an SME ) is that the employer can usually impose whatever dress or appearance code they wish, subject to any human rights issues that could arise.

ballz said:
Those same people also say that a mustache waxed and curled in the most God awful way is a professional look.

Not me. That's for sure!  ( Not that there's anything wrong with them, of course.  :) )

Scott said:
Far as what the military does, I don't care - just to be clear. But when you could have to wear some form of respiratory equipment as a part of your job, well, you come in to my wheelhouse as a SME.

I don't know what the US Army does either.

But, our SOP is, "All personnel who may be required to use the N95 or C4 mask must be free of facial hair that will interfere with the seal of the respirator contact surfaces to the users face."

We had to carry our fit-test approved N95 masks while on duty at all times.
We also had SCBA and CBRNE squads.

I am not a Fit Tester or SME. For reference,

Respirator fit test with facial hair
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=rZ_CWNONCOiM8QemzIHYCA&gws_rd=ssl#q=respirator+fit+test+%22facial+hair%22&*

Quiet~One said:
1.  We are a large organization, and we can do many things well, sometimes simultaneously.  That includes defence planning, procurement... you name it.  It also includes maintaining dress regulations for hair.

:rofl:

Oh, you're serious...

Quiet~One said:
3.  Subset of para 2.  I'd suggest this is larger than beards.  If we can manage small things, it's easier to manage big things.  Also, having seen the political environment we operate in; it behooves us to seize the initiative, and manage change ourselves, lest it be foisted upon us.  We can manage a silly thing like beards easily.  But what happens if we don't and a ridiculous Human Rights Complaint gains traction and beards are suddenly allowed.  Full stop.  Then we react.  Normally in a poor knee-jerk manner.

The thing is that we can't get these small, relatively unimportant things get in the way of bigger picture issues that have a real impact on people and the organization.  We tend to focus on the small stuff because it's easier than tackling the bigger issues.  And most will just leave it to the "system" to fix things.  Guess what: we all are "the system".

I dont believe you will see the Army allowing beards throughout the force.Exceptions for religious and special operations requirements.

SupersonicMax said:
:rofl:

Oh, you're serious...

The thing is that we can't get these small, relatively unimportant things get in the way of bigger picture issues that have a real impact on people and the organization.  We tend to focus on the small stuff because it's easier than tackling the bigger issues.  And most will just leave it to the "system" to fix things.  Guess what: we all are "the system".

Fair enough.  It is poor phrasing; but I think the point still stands - and I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Making the small stuff a big issue is a very easy way for the CAF to deflect from the major issues we face.  Looking at our "Buttons and Bows" mentality, at no point should a senior staff officer be worried about gorgets, beards, and what not.  It is far easier to look at these things, present the illusion of productive and effective work than it is to worry and come up with solid plans for the CAF to reduce the legal architecture, stove-piping and empire building that is getting in the way of major concerns like vehicles, ships, personnel, planes to allow us to actually purchase new and better equipment or adjust our organizational structure to handle a rapidly changing operational environment.

I guess what I'm getting at is - if we can't prove to our political masters - we can handle little things and manage those effectively, we will not be trusted with making smart, effective decisions regarding big things.

Quiet~One said:
Looking at our "Buttons and Bows" mentality, at no point should a senior staff officer be worried about gorgets, beards, and what not. 

I accepted the shaving rule without question when I was in the PRes. But, that was a long time ago.

To soldiers of today, does being clean shaven matter as much as it did back then?

eg:

Artillery Soldier ( Just for example, as I believe you are an Artillery Officer. Could be any job. )
What They Do

Artillery Soldiers are responsible for surveillance, target acquisition, and indirect fire to engage the enemy.

The primary responsibilities of Artillery Soldiers are to:
• Position, operate and maintain Field Guns and Air Defence weapon systems.
• Provide fire-support advice to the Infantry and Armour units
• Use and maintain personal weapons and section-level weapons up to and including machine-guns and anti-tank weapons
• Operate technically advanced command-post computers, laser range-finders and fire-control computers
• Operate and maintain surveillance and target acquisition equipment, LAV III, Forward Observation Post Vehicle equipment, air defense weapons and radar systems

Working Environment
Artillery Soldiers normally work outdoors, where they experience the unique challenges that come with extended periods outside.

In a job like that, or any other job in the CAF, competence is an absolute and appropriate expectation. But, should it be the only expectation?

ie: As long as they can "close with and destroy the enemy, by day or by night, in all weather conditions, and terrain" does being clean shaven matter, one way or the other?

How good of a seal does a soldier get on the gas mask with a beard as compared to without?  That's the first question that pops into my mind.  Or a sailor with their FF gear/oxygen systems?  Same for aircrew.

*Uniformity in dress/look* considerations aside, the effect it has on a soldier/sailor/airman or airwoman WRT them becoming a casualty in a CRBN environment, fire, *insert SHTF situation* should be the real consideration. 

There is a new beard growing/permission SOP out for the RCAF...can't recall all the details but it has basically been tasked to the SCWO/UWO level for assessment/decision.  It may have been a CANAIRGEN?

Eye In The Sky said:
How good of a seal does a soldier get on the gas mask with a beard as compared to without?  That's the first question that pops into my mind.  Or a sailor with their FF gear/oxygen systems?  Same for aircrew.

I believe Scott is an SME,

Scott said:
Your best chance with RPE is ALWAYS when you're clean shaven. If that offends your personal sense of fashion and style, too bad. You always default to manufacturer's instructions - and I have yet to see one that doesn't mention being clean shaven.

It is surely the end of days...

I'm pretty sure that this slippery slope into chaos all started when they stopped issuing us black boots that we had to polish to a high sheen, and uniforms we had to iron ourselves with sharp creases, you know, like real soldiers (or Army Cadets).

And mess tins... what about the mess tins? :)

That he is...but the CAF would likely have studies and reports from testing at DRDC or something to base their decisions on.

CFP 265 states:

HAIR
4. Hair on the head shall be neatly groomed and conservatively styled. The length, bulk or style of hair shall
not detract from a positive military appearance or preclude the proper wear of military headdress. (Bulk is the
distance that the mass of hair extends from the skin, when groomed, as opposed to the length of hair.) In
particular, style and colour shall not present a bizarre, exaggerated, or unusual appearance. Unusual colours,
such as green, bright red, orange, purple, etc., are not permitted. Hair must be secured or styled back to reveal
the face, and any accessories used to secure or control hair styles shall be as unobtrusive as possible. Hair
ornaments shall not be worn, except women’s conservative barrettes which blend with the hair colour. Shaving of
all of the hair on the head is permitted. The personal manner of wearing hair within these general style limits,
including moustaches, beards and braids, shall be modified to the degree necessary to accommodate operational
or occupational equipment, such as gas, oxygen and scuba masks, hard, combat and flying helmets, etc., where
a member’s safety or mission is put in jeopardy.

Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established by commanders of commands, permission to wear a beard
shall only be granted to all ranks who wear the naval uniform, wherever serving; all ranks on
strength of an infantry pioneer platoon; adherents of the Sikh religion (see Section 3); and
personnel, on the direction of a medical officer, subject to medical reassessment at intervals not
exceeding six months. Other personnel shall shave off their beards.
(b) Where beards are authorized, they shall be worn with a moustache; kept neatly trimmed,
especially on the lower neck and cheekbones; and not exceed 2.5 cm in bulk.
(c) When a beard is grown or removed, identification documents shall be replaced in accordance
with security regulations

Some of our SOF folks are in the crap close to areas where there is a CBRN threat, and some of them are sporting beards.  They are our high speed/low drags folks, so if they can perform with beards, should the low speed/high drag side of the CAF be that concerned about beards?  :dunno:

soldier1.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

I do know the new RCAF beard policy sort of went against some of the stuff in 265. 

If my MO/Flt Sgn gives me a no shave chit...I'm not exactly sure what authority my CofC has to say "nope, we don't care" or that my SCWO has to approve it.    ???

Eye In The Sky said:
Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established by commanders of commands, permission to wear a beard
shall only be granted to all ranks who wear the naval uniform, wherever serving; all ranks on
strength of an infantry pioneer platoon; adherents of the Sikh religion (see Section 3); and
personnel, on the direction of a medical officer, subject to medical reassessment at intervals not
exceeding six months. Other personnel shall shave off their beards.
(b) Where beards are authorized, they shall be worn with a moustache; kept neatly trimmed,
especially on the lower neck and cheekbones; and not exceed 2.5 cm in bulk.
(c) When a beard is grown or removed, identification documents shall be replaced in accordance
with security regulations

I do know the new RCAF beard policy sort of went against some of the stuff in 265.

The pub on beards needs a bit of an update, because there are CANFORGENs that extend "beard wearing privileges" to any member who requests religious accommodation, and explicitly state (as per the Supreme Court ruling) that it doesn't need to be a "mandatory" part of someone's faith, they just need to have a "sincerely held belief" with regards to their beard. Being a Sikh no longer has anything to do with it,  really there is just kind of standing policy for Sikhs.

This policy is extremely easy to abuse* and we have had plenty of troops in my unit go the way of abusing it. The troops trying to use a loophole in policy to do something they otherwise would not be allowed to do is a very real display of poor professionalism and poor discipline, IMO, and is a symptom of something much worse (I, perhaps optimistically, think/hope that it is limited to my Unit). While I wish there was some sort of standing policy allowing people to keep a full beard until required to shave for operational purposes, I certainly wouldn't be unprofessional enough to abuse a policy just to obtain that. I'll respect the policy until it changes... or until October when I'm a civie and no longer have to, whichever comes first ;D

*For example, I, as an atheist, can request religious/spiritual accommodation to wear a beard based on that fact that I sincerely believe the Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and that facial hair is a characteristic that nature has naturally selected, and wearing a beard allows me to live my life more in line with my spiritual beliefs.... and I would most definitely be successful in being granted this accommodation, and was confirmed by the numerous sources of authority on the subject when I was unfortunate enough to deal with 30 "beard requests" all at once.

Eye In The Sky said:

*Uniformity in dress/look* considerations aside, the effect it has on a soldier/sailor/airman or airwoman WRT them becoming a casualty in a CRBN environment, fire, *insert SHTF situation* should be the real consideration. 

In the civilian world, I worked in environments where you had to be clean shaven. This was for OH&S reasons because we were working in a place where a H2S gas leak was legitimate safety concern. I worked on that job site for maybe 3-4 weeks and while I was there, I had to shave every day.

In the military, I see no reason that Commanders aren't capable of dealing with a CBRN threat in the same manner. As was said earlier, we have CBRN dress states for a reason. It's hard to make a rational argument that you have to shave every day "in case you need to put on a gas mask" when your gas mask is 24 hours behind you in an MSVS. Obviously the squirrels are capable of making this judgement call, it's not a difficult one, I can't see why we can't be capable of the same decision-making skill.

Ditto for other "respirator" type employment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back