• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a beard for the winter, which was great insulation for the -40 days.  Wouldn't want to keep it for the summer as I always found it itchy, but don't really see why the RCN is the only one allowed to do it.  Still shaved the throat and few other ares, plus some regular trimming and grooming, so it's not like you need to go full hipster pioneer.

Would rock the goatee if that's allowed though; suits my ugly mug and will probably have the fringe benefit of really annoying the same people that don't like officers wearing berets.  I think if I had a goatee and was wearing a beret (instead of the peak cap) their heads might actually explode!

Old EO Tech said:
we have had these WW2/Korea era archaic policies that if your soldiers aren't shaving, how do you know they are staying clean in the field? 

Anyone who is curious if it's possible, tell them to google "CSOR soldier Op IMPACT" or "CANSOF IRAQ"...sustained op in the desert and they didn't fall to pieces.  Imagine, treating adults like adults.

Beards for aircrew are not authorized, I know a few guys who have beard chits and they have to be clean shaven for flying days.  One of my ROTOs, the Tactical Navigator (TacNav) had a reaction to something in the water or air in Kuwait.  He was given a shaving chit and flew every mission that roto without shaving at all.  He wasn't the only one who did their stint there with a roto beard while flying.

* all pictures from Google.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 516
Pusser said:
If you've never been to a mess dinner, you've missed out on one of the coolest things about military service and have had a life less lived.

I could go without watching people get drunk, loud and act like complete idiots in front of all their peers, coworkers and superiors all in the name of "tradition". If an outsider came in to observe, they would get the idea that the military is nothing more than a bunch of alcoholics.

In other news...

0ekn9wrg2at01.jpg

Brihard said:
Got a summary for us?

It was a joke/photoshop posted to Reddit.  https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/8dwbp4/i_guess_we_can_stop_shaving_this_weekend_new/

MJP said:
It was a joke/photoshop posted to Reddit.  https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/8dwbp4/i_guess_we_can_stop_shaving_this_weekend_new/

Horrible people!  ;D

I know a few beardos that were spinning about this lol.

When this finally comes to pass it will be interesting to see how it will inevitably get misinterpreted.

Remius said:
I know a few beardos that were spinning about this lol.

When this finally comes to pass it will be interesting to see how it will inevitably get misinterpreted.

I imagine we shall see the word "should" used a lot in the message and changes to the DM; and that always fun caveat that this is direction BUT COs always have discretion.

walrath said:
Or how badly I do not want to have to shave everyday anymore.

For me it will depend on what they come out with, I hate shaving everyday but the red (and a little grey caused by subordinates) of the sides of my beard give away the fact that I'm not as blond (or young) as my hair makes me look. With a goatee it doesn't really show anything.

Halifax Tar said:
I imagine we shall see the word "should" used a lot in the message and changes to the DM; and that always fun caveat that this is direction BUT COs always have discretion.

:nod:

CONTROL
8.Control is exercised by local commanders who may standardize the dress of subordinates on any occasion, including the wear of accoutrements and alternative or optional items, subject to overall command direction. See also Chapter 2, Section 1, paragraph 44.

1.Decide to grow a beard
2.Tell your Chain of command you want to grow a beard for religious reasons.
3.Pick a religion.
4.Grow a beard.
5.selfies

Never understood the institutional obsession with policing beards and boots.  :boring:

If l become a Pastafarian, can l wear a colander as my headress?

jollyjacktar said:
If l become a Pastafarian, can l wear a colander as my headress?

Yes, but god help you if you're caught wearing a non-issued one without a valid medical chit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back