• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Memo Templates: (AVOTP, ED&T, File Number, OJT, OT, Release, Retention)

trustnoone73 said:
Yes, but I doubt if that reason is because a LCol does not possess the faculties to make decisions with respect to leave or any other unit matter.  It's accountability.  The decision was in all probability rendered below the OCC level. 

But above the CO.  >:D

Which is why there was a grievance and a protracted fight.  DCBA applied the policy as is their mandate IAW the TB which still took 7 months to issue a decision.  It's hard to compare this to a short day, but we've probably all had obtuse CO's.  Fighting for the troops is still a good days work.

If DCBA had applied the policy, they wouldn't have rendered a decision which they had no authority to render, and they'd have forwarded the file directly to TBS - which is what the policy said to do (as the judge confirmed).

I can't add anything more.  I guess I'd have made one hell of a softie as a CO.  ;D

trustnoone73 said:
Fighting for the troops is still a good days work.

As long as the fight is FOR the troops and not simply "against" the chain of command. I have seen NCMs and Officers contest decisions by the chain of command simply because they felt the decision, not the policy or directive that enabled it, were wrong/unfair.  If a decision (order) is rendered by the chain of command and that decision (order) is founded in proper application of policy/directives, the time for discussion has ended.  Implement (obey) it and then fight the policy later.

It's been said many times by many people: "Pick your battles wisely.  Is this hill really worth dying for?"

Before this gets locked, I just want to add some points.

Administration, like so many other aspects of command, is often delegated down.  This includes the authority to approve and deny certain requests. Occasionally, delegated authority comes with caveats - eg the authority to approve but not deny certain requests. COs deal with quite a bit of banal crap and will often delegate management down. 

Leave is a good example.  A CO will quite often delegate to sub-unit command and below the authority to approve annual leave while retaining the right to withhold it. Special leave relocation Relative to a posting is an upscaled version: a CO will approve but must himself get approval to deny.

Transporter said:
Ok, let's look at another example using Compassionate Leave. Let's say I have a family emergency and I request 30 days of compassionate leave. Per the CF Leave Policy, the approving authorities for compassionate leave are as follows:

7.1.04 Approving Authority
The CO may approve up to 14 calendar days of compassionate leave. The OCC may approve up to 30 calendar days, inclusive of any compassionate leave already approved by the CO.

So, the CO can give me up to 14 days, but only an Officer Commanding a Command (OCC) can approve anything more than that, up to 30 days. I meet with the CO and we discuss the nature of my family emergency. Turns out my grandma passed away. I don't have any legal responsibilities for her affairs and there are plenty of close family living in the same town as my grandma who can look after things. But I had a very strong connection with my Grandma growing up and I really feel that 30 days would help me get over her passing.

You're my CO. My memo addressed to the Commander 1 Canadian Air Division requesting 30 days of compassionate leave is on your desk. Are you sending it to 1 CAD based on what you know to be the circumstances precipitating this request?

It's not an apples to apples comparison to equate a OC/CO relationship to a CO/OCC. A CO has a far bigger scope of authority compared to an OC in relation to administrative matters inside of his unit than the OC has within his Sqn or company.

I'm not going to be bothered to see if there is actually any policy relating to that fact and stopping correspondence from leaving the unit, but I suspect the difference between a CO's authority and an OC's authority may be a factor.

Eye In The Sky said:
If units/COs provide direction on Short leave/EDOs/CTO and it was promulgated down the CofC, put into ROs, whatever there wouldn't be confusion and decision-making wouldn't be so hit-and-miss.  What one WO or Capt might see as a reasonable request might appear to be "system-gaming" to another.  Nothing like 'multiple standards' within a sub-unit to piss of the oar-pullers;  1 guy works a Sunday, gets Monday off...guy from a different section does the same task, doesn't get it off and gets chewed-out for asking after finding out others are.  Which section would you want to be in?

I've noticed a trend the past few years, where there seems to be a willingness to ignore regs/policy/guidance whether it be this topic, unit PT policy, whatever. 

Maybe "back in the day" it was *all over the board* when it came to short/CTO/NWDs, BUT maybe that is one of the reasons the CF Leave Policy Manual was devised.  Just a thought; something queued the CAF to publish the manual.

It IS a CF policy document, and applies to all member of the CAF.  Regardless of if you agree with it personally, professionally you are required to adhere to it, and consider the should/shalls it contains.  I've already posted the part on short leave that one of its purposes is to compensate for working on what would "normally be a day of rest".  In line with DAAs post, maybe it is good to consider this as a morale/welfare of the troops/QOL issue.  It doesn't matter what happened in 1956, RV '81 or what have you.  We used to have muskets and horses.  Times have changed. 

I am not speaking specifically about the OPs case, but in general.  My unit has a very fair 'working outside normal hours' policy; it is good for morale and morale is very important, especially when budgets are tight and FTX, sailing, and flying is being shrunk.  Morale/welfare is not the only thing to consider, but it is something to consider nonetheless.

Anyone who doesn't take into account their subordinates welfare and GAFF is missing something in their leadership toolbelt.

Agreed, And Eye you know my current situation with my AVOT etc.

The unit I am at, is odd to say the least.

Our CO had to fight to be allowed to give us two short days for Summer Block leave. Which is a joke. However, next building over, not even ten feet from this unit is a unit that was given 2 for June, 2 for July, 2 for Aug and in addition, Specials are to be/were issued for two days (Canada Day on a tuesday, special issued Mon, and the other was the same situation for St Jean de Baptiste) Therefore the members would have more then ample time to be with family friends and enjoy some downtime from the past decade of High Operational Tempo.

I have had several discussions with NCOs here and there becomes a point where to be at a unit the GAFF and morale of the troops is affected. Things such as this here, severely deplete morale. When you see freebies handed out like Halloween Candy, and in this case legs closed tighter then a Nun, makes it even worse (these two units also work hand in hand, and nothing was even accomplished on those mondays).

Once again, this comes back to looking after your troops.

Previous units, we would use a blank leave pass, if a member was tasked with a driving detail, picking up someone from a TAV, or whatever, the member would take the day off, in the event of an emergency the Blank leave pass was used. This was all backed via email and it was regular occurence. That was with a good Troop Command team, I am starting to see a trend where the goals and aspirations of a few are outweighing the needs and welfare of the many.

Which disturbs me, because those many will soon take the place of those ahead of them and see that as the norm.

Dare I ask how your CO had to "fight" to give two days short for the summer block leave period?

Alright everybody. Enough going around in ever tightening circles, get it wrapped up.

---Staff---

Good2Golf said:
Dare I ask how your CO had to "fight" to give two days short for the summer block leave period?

Good point. Unless by fight he meant "Our CO had to sign a leave pass" to give us two short days.

stellarpanther said:
A different CO but the very same thing happened to me a couple years ago regarding a French course.  The CoC said no that they couldn't afford to let me go for that 2 hours a week and when the CO heard about it from someone else, he got pissed off and told them to get me on it.  He is the one who told me that when someone writes a memo to the CO, my CoC can put whatever minute they want but in the end it's the CO's decision.  I actually have the email he sent out to them and cc's me on demanding to know why it wasn't forwarded to him.  I am positive that when I submit a memo to the CO it is supposed to go to the CO.  I'm trying to find a ref however.

The approving authority for short leave is the CO.  The WO and Adjt can recommend that you not be given short leave, but in the end it's the CO's decision.

Crispy Bacon said:
The approving authority for short leave is the CO.  The WO and Adjt can recommend that you not be given short leave, but in the end it's the CO's decision.

As has been stated numerous times already.

If the OP can't figure their options from five pages of "stating the manual" and the other options offered, five more pages won't help.

We're all done here.

---Staff---

I've been in the reserves for 2 years this month. I'm moving away in a few months and am needing to write a release memo. I'm not sure what it should include, do I need to go into detail about my reasons? Another question, can memos be emailed or do they have to be paper copy? Thanks.

What the @$#%^&&@!

Just show up at your unit's Regulating Office (That's the Reg force support staffed one) and tell them you want to release ...

Some units require that members put in a memo to initiate release...

Are you kidding me?

Then just grab a piece of paper and write on it: The date; From: me; To: Unit; Text: "I want to release now". then sign it.

Reserve personnel serve  for undefined term. Unless the unit has been called out for active duty (which has not happened since WWII), they cannot keep you in the service and you owe them no explanation for terminating your service.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Are you kidding me?

Then just grab a piece of paper and write on it: The date; From: me; To: Unit; Text: "I want to release now". then sign it.

Reserve personnel serve  for undefined term. Unless the unit has been called out for active duty (which has not happened since WWII), they cannot keep you in the service and you owe them no explanation for terminating your service.

Wait for it........if you don't follow whatever policy they have put in place, just walk away, forget to return kit or forget to sign something, the Release Item will be a 5.f. for failure to complete administrative procedures.

Try rejoining the CF after that has happened.......

Why aren't they filling out the usual "Request for Voluntary Release" form like everyone else in the CF are supposed to?  I seem to recall when I got out of the Reg Force, the memo was a formality to accompany that form, saying effectively "On or about this date, I will no longer feel like presenting myself for work.  Nana Nana Boo Boo.  Hugs, kisses and middle fingers, Me."

Or did I forget something - there is still an actual, formal release process to be followed, regardless of Reg or Reserve Force, is there not?

MM

Smithy76 said:
I've been in the reserves for 2 years this month. I'm moving away in a few months and am needing to write a release memo. I'm not sure what it should include, do I need to go into detail about my reasons? Another question, can memos be emailed or do they have to be paper copy? Thanks.

This discussion may help.

Memo for Release 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104441.0

With my unit there's no form. Just a memo that gets passed up the chain of command. And if anyone along the way doesn't like it for some reason it gets returned to you to do it properly. That's why I simply asked before passing it up. But thanks to those who answered.

Back