• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Thank you Loachman(and I'm sorry for the late reply),
I will always keep that "dumber people than me have been able to do this" technique in mind :p

My Aircrew Selection is next week, getting ready to go on this Sunday!

By the way, I had a question about the 'dress code'. On the instructions document it says:
"No denim jeans, T-shirts, shorts, running shoes or sandals. Flat soled shoes are recommended."
Could anyone that already attended the course please provide some more information?
What's been listed not-to-wear are pretty much the only types of clothes I wear so I was wondering what else is appropriate.
Flat shoes like converse, dress shoes, cargo pants even a formal dress(only the bottom) perhaps?

Thanks again guys, and please! wish me luck!

gwones

Holy crap man I think they mean something like business casual.
a set of dress pants/a shirt with a collar/ and some dress shoes.
or if a fairer sex....
A set of dress slacks/ a blouse/ and a flat soled dress shoe (no heels)

Should cost you  all of $50 bucks at Walmart.

Please don't be  "that guy" and do something just because the rules were vauge. Start using your noggin!
CONVERSE??????????How about some  bright pink DC skater shoes. the soles are flat. Remember your trying to impress and sell yourself at the same time.

It was jacket and tie when I went through, as we ate in the Officers' Mess at Downsview (where ACS was done in those days) as that was the dress code for dinner. Every item of one fellow's clothing was a different loud colour, none of which complimented another.

He didn't make it.

Biting a couple of people didn't help him either.

Showing up "dressed for success" demonstrates that you care enough to put effort into something.

mover1 said:
Holy crap man I think they mean something like business casual.
a set of dress pants/a shirt with a collar/ and some dress shoes.
or if a fairer sex....
A set of dress slacks/ a blouse/ and a flat soled dress shoe (no heels)

Should cost you  all of $50 bucks at Walmart.

Please don't be  "that guy" and do something just because the rules were vauge. Start using your noggin!
CONVERSE??????????How about some  bright pink DC skater shoes. the soles are flat. Remember your trying to impress and sell yourself at the same time.

Thanks,

I was thinking about the interview and was hoping to know if ACS is in a similar atmosphere.

Loachman said:
It was jacket and tie when I went through, as we ate in the Officers' Mess at Downsview (where ACS was done in those days) as that was the dress code for dinner. Every item of one fellow's clothing was a different loud colour, none of which complimented another.

He didn't make it.

Biting a couple of people didn't help him either.

Showing up "dressed for success" demonstrates that you care enough to put effort into something.

Thanks Loachman,

I have misunderstood the word casual civilian 'dress'. I was thinking casual civilian 'clothes', that's where I got a little confused. My bad :)

Hey guys, sorry for the late update on the forum.

I came back from Trenton last week, unsuccessful :salute: 7 people were in the course and 4 people made it. Although I failed the exam, I had so much fun while I was in the base. I gotta tell you, the food is amazing!!!

Great thing about the ASC is that you are actually staying in the base so you get to meet people that are currently in the forces, just about anywhere you go. Also 5 out of 7 applicants were currently in the military. One person is in Armoured Recon, other is an MP, Avionics, Infantry etc. Hearing different point of views from the experienced people really helped me re-discover my interest in different types of occupations offered in the CF.

I can say to you that I've learned so much than what I've lost during the stay in Trenton. For anyone getting ready to attend the ASC, go in open-minded and you will discover a lot of new things just like I did  ;)

So now pilot is off the list(which was the only choice in my ROTP application) and I put 3 new trades which are Logistics/Artillery/Armour. I was actually considering NCM path(AES Op/AC Op) but I was told to continue on with this application since I came this far. The counsellor also told me that he received an e-mail from RMC saying my application was approved and good to proceed further(actually never knew that RMC approves your application first).

Anyways, that was my story! happy and excited again :) Congratulations again to those who passed the ASC last week!!!

P.S // If you're doing an interview for the third time, would it be a short update interview? or is it the long one that covers all three occupations that I chose?

Hey gwones, sorry to hear that.  Did you write the ACSO exam in case you decide to go that route?

There were a few already serving members in the group when I went.  One was a navy MARS officer, another was an infantry officer, and one was a ~40yo ACSO.  There were also a couple of reserve infantry guys.

Anyway, it sounds like you're in RMC regardless, so good luck in your future.

how often and on what basis does aircrew selection choose its candidates??? i applied this year but they turned me down because i have no flying hours, and i am just finishing up high school. i am although getting my glider license this summer through cadets :cdn:

There are a ton of posts regarding Aircrew Selection, if you search you will find them (try CFASC). I found this one to be helpful when I was researching for CFASC - http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/70257.0.html

I think you need to understand why your application was denied because lack of flying hours is not a reason. You also did not mention if you completed the course and failed or if you never were selected to go to the course.

well i dont really know, they said they were only hiring about 20 to 30 pilots this year and were choosing ones with lots of flying experience and degrees, so thats probly why. would having written and passing the air nav exam also help my pilot application?

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/82669.0.html

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/12744.0.html

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/62660.0.html

I suggest backing up and starting from the beginning. Read these forums and they will answer your questions.

And please capitalize properly.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes the Air Force to hire pilots after a potential candidate has completed aircrew selection? I am still waiting for a call to the selection though, and I am hoping gaining flying hours this summer will help. I have also done a lot of research about aircrew selection, including visiting the website  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8w-8e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=8252. It says that a candidate does four missions, but do they make their decision based on the final mission, or on all of the different missions?
Thanks for the help

Phil

Read the advice on your last thread...SEARCH, all this info is on this site.  Trust me, I found it all when I started looking for it.

The two classifications that I put down on my application were ACSO, and IntO.
I have done CFAT, Medical, Eye tests, ECG, blood test, urine test, chest xray, Aircrew Test, and Interview.
I thought that I was done, but then my file manager called me last week and said I had to go to ACS in the next couple weeks.
I've already done the  ACSO test, so I was wondering why I need to go do CAPSS and all that.
Also, do we get paid when we go to this? Seeing as in some cases we need to book a whole week off of work, it would sure be nice.
A final question, do we get some sort of uniform to wear during this? Or do we have to be Susies for the week.

tl;dr - ACSO, why am I needed for CAPSS, Do we get paid, Do we get a uniform.

2011Applicant said:
tl;dr - ACSO, why am I needed for CAPSS, Do we get paid, Do we get a uniform.

Unsure of why you need CAPSS, especially if you have already done the ACSO written exams.

No pay and no uniform.

No doubt.
The Career Councillor that interviewed me was an ACSO too, and he didn't say anything about having to do ACS.
He told me that I was finished and just needed to wait for my air factor to come back so they could send my file to Kingston.

2011Applicant said:
Do we get paid

You will receive a 17,30$ daily allowance while in Trenton... The CF takes care of the transportation, food and hotel for you. The food in Trenton is awesome.

I have no idea why you need to do CAPPS, but enjoy it if you go. It can be very fun and you'll learn basic instruments scan. ( I can't say I had that much "fun", since I was way too anxious about passing! I'm only applying for pilot thought).

Back