• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

There is a part of "me" trying to accept this situation positively and theres the other part of "me" starting to become a little worried.

It has been just over a week and I was not able to get any news regarding this matter. I'm a person who hate to blame and complain but I'm just a little worried that there might be something wrong. Anyways, I'm sure to believe that someone is working very hard at this hour to get this resolved.

Also, congratulations to everyone who had passed the exam. I wish you all best of luck in further selection process. (If I were there and had passed the course that would have been 10/12!  ;D)

In case those reading this thread have not yet heard, there will be ZERO openings for PILOT in any entry format for the next fiscal year.  This has been confirmed by myself and many others through recruitment centres.  Be prepared for a long, long wait.

Well, sort of.  I checked with my CFRC and they confirmed they currently had no available pilot positions.  However they had one available on Apr. 1, and it had been filled.  I guess the tap is not completely shut off.  Perhaps more will be opened up later in the year.

They are still sending me to CFASC, as well.

biggs said:
Well, sort of.  I checked with my CFRC and they confirmed they currently had no available pilot positions.  However they had one available on Apr. 1, and it had been filled.  I guess the tap is not completely shut off.  Perhaps more will be opened up later in the year.

They are still sending me to CFASC, as well.

My two cents....if being a pilot is what you want to do, keep trying.  You only do ASC once so if you get it, you can always apply when things open up.  It means you have the necessary skills/aptitudes to one day be given the opportunity to fly.  That being said, i've served 11 years before getting my shot at being Pilot and in the process, i've done and seen some pretty amazing things in my career.  That's the beautiful thing about the CF, tons of opportunities and they provide you the tools to become what you want.  Joining to be in one trade is cheating yourself.  Keep your eyes on the prize, but don't shut out to other opportunities the CF can offer.  No regrets.

I definitely hear what you're saying, and I would certainly consider other career possibilities in the CF if things don't work out.  Having an electrical engineering degree will mean most of the engineering trades are a possibility for me.  (Possibly all of them, I don't know for sure if any are discipline-specific.)  However, at the moment I'm committed to pursuing a pilot spot all the way.  It's just a case of unfortunate timing for me since currently, there aren't any.

Thanks guys, for keeping the updates coming.

There had not been great news, as you all may know already. I received a phone call from the CFRC that I will have to wait longer to see if there will be a third round selection but I was told that I shouldn't count on it.

I had difficult days, just like many others, trying to decide what to do next. This January, I had applied to other colleges(aviation-related) that I did not mention on the ROTP application(as a backup plan) and I had no other choice but to accept one of the colleges before their deadline, which was May 1st.

I will be attending Confederation College for Aviation program, and that is if I don't receive any further news from CFRC.

But hey, it's all good. There is always next year!

How's everyone else handling their situation?

Well, I'm confirmed going to CFASC for June 1-5 (leaving May 30, coming back June 6).  I got this confirmation several days ago, I'm only just posting about it now.  Also, as a side note, I got a civvy job in Ottawa, so I can be a Productive Member of Society™ (rather than an unemployed bum) while I wait for DEO Pilot to open up.

... and I passed CAPSS.  Yay is me!  No immediately apparent issues on the medicals either, although I was told the final word on that takes 1-4 weeks.

Guess now I just wait (... and wait ... and wait).  Also, I guess I'll have to see about switching to CFRC Ottawa since I'll be living there starting June 12.

Congratulations biggs! It is always good to see people progressing through their dreams.

Although I have not heard anything from the RC ever since I posted my last reply here, I think I'm going to settle with Confederation College Aviation program for now. Once I graduate, I am planning to look for a way to apply directly as an Officer with aviation-related diploma. Hopefully there will be more opportunities in the future.

Good Luck, I really hope you get selected and keep us informed!

So I passed for both Pilot and ACSO this past week! I'm definitely pumped! But now I wait...

I want to be accepted for ROTP Civi University. Unfortunately I put my application in for 2009-2010 ROTP around the start of February which was too late for selection. So it will be over a years wait since I started the process to be finally accepted for ROTP Pilot for 2010-2011. At least if I am accepted it will be that much more special.

I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me on here? Anyone who has passed CAPSS and is now hurrying up and waiting for acceptance into ROTP for 2010-2011?

Cheers

Hey guys,

First of all, to everyone who were selected to go to RMC this year, I hope everyone is doing well. (How is it by the way?) I just wanted to drop by again and share some of my new stories so hopefully other fellow ROTP applicants for 2010-2011 have something to read about.

As I've written on my previous reply, I didn't get the call for my ROTP 2009-2010 application so I took my 'Plan B' (actually I was a little disappointed in not being selected) which was going to the Confederation College for Flight Program. I knew at heart that becoming a military pilot was THE dream of mine but I also thought that becoming a civilian pilot isn't bad at all. Plus I was under the pressure that I should quickly move on with my life. So I decided to settle with going with the Commercial Pilot route.

Just 7 more days until my flight to Thunder Bay, my family ran into a financial trouble. I had to make a decision to cancel the flight, cancel my admission, get the tuition refund and use it to support my family. I was happy that I was able to help my family but down deep I was very frustrated because I did not have a Plan C. From the next day I started looking for a full-time job to save up the tuition so I can go to the College next year.

My family suggested that I visit the CFRC to arrange a new ROTP application but I really didn't wanted to give it another shot maybe because I was afraid of getting rejected again. So I faced the reality and tried to focus on saving up the tuition.

But then,

One day I got a phone call from the CFRC. The Cpt. asked me what I've been doing lately so I explained my situation. He asked me to come in so we could arrange a new application for next year. I asked him what exactly happened to my application last year and he said that all the pilots were selected even before my application was in(I submitted my application very late). At that very moment I remembered what the Lt. had told me way back in February as we were doing the interview. He said that my timing was terrible so if, for any reason, I don't receive an offer, it could be only because of my bad timing.

A few days later, I went to the CFRC to see the Cpt., we went over the application and I scheduled for an update interview which is next Tuesday afternoon. The thing is that, if I never received the phone call from the CFRC, I would never have thought of giving another shot at this. Hopefully things will work out this time ;)

// By the way, I have searched this forum to find information about 'update' interview and found out that it is only a 5-10 min sit-and-talk, not like the very first interview where you are asked about school, work, personal qualities, and etc. Rather, you are only asked occupation-specific questions. Can anyone with experience please confirm this?

Hey gwones, so it sounds like you have another shot at ROTP.  That's great!

Whatever the 'update interview' entails, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The ones you've read about are probably for people who've done the full interview for one trade, but decided to switch and go for another.  That's what the Captain who interviewed me said would be required if I decided to apply for another trade (I asked about it, because if I'd failed CAPPS I would have considered others).  Even if it is the full interview, you've done it before, surely you can handle it again.  You'd probably even do better, being a little older, a little wiser, and having learned a bit more about what they look for.

As for me, my recruiting file finally made the long trek here to Ottawa.  The CFRC called me and said they have it now, and asked for new university transcripts, since the ones they had were from before I graduated, and they need to know I actually got my piece of paper if they're going to let me in as a DEO.  So now I can relax and just sit on my hands until next April, when I hope to hear good news.

biggs said:
Hey gwones, so it sounds like you have another shot at ROTP.  That's great!

Whatever the 'update interview' entails, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The ones you've read about are probably for people who've done the full interview for one trade, but decided to switch and go for another.  That's what the Captain who interviewed me said would be required if I decided to apply for another trade (I asked about it, because if I'd failed CAPPS I would have considered others).  Even if it is the full interview, you've done it before, surely you can handle it again.  You'd probably even do better, being a little older, a little wiser, and having learned a bit more about what they look for.

As for me, my recruiting file finally made the long trek here to Ottawa.  The CFRC called me and said they have it now, and asked for new university transcripts, since the ones they had were from before I graduated, and they need to know I actually got my piece of paper if they're going to let me in as a DEO.  So now I can relax and just sit on my hands until next April, when I hope to hear good news.

Hey biggs! I'm glad to hear that your application is finally put together. I hope everything works out for you!

The Captain that I sat and talked with, repeated this three times "It is IMPORTANT to know about the training. Watch the videos" so I thought this new update interview would be focused on the occupation specific questions. Also I was told to dress casual.

I'm confident that I know the trainings well but when it comes to personal qualities questions, there are too many things that I have to prepare thats why :(

Anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow afternoon :D I'll post an update once the interview is over.

Good luck to you biggs!

Persistence pays. It gives one a chance of success.

Giving up gives one no chance of success at all.

By the way, the Canadian abbreviation for Captain is "Capt". "Cpt" is American.

Loachman said:
Persistence pays. It gives one a chance of success.

Giving up gives one no chance of success at all.

By the way, the Canadian abbreviation for Captain is "Capt". "Cpt" is American.

Hello Loachman,

Thanks for your advice. You're right, persistence pays off in the future.
This time, I will do my best to go all the way.

And thanks for the correction!

Good luck gwones! I'm a fellow ROTP Pilot applicant for next year. It's good to hear your process is back on track though. Just keep positive throughout it all and it'll work out fine.

Cheers.

Dou You said:
Good luck gwones! I'm a fellow ROTP Pilot applicant for next year. It's good to hear your process is back on track though. Just keep positive throughout it all and it'll work out fine.

Cheers.

Hey Dou You,

Thanks and same to you too! It's going to be a long wait until we hear the news but let's keep the hopes up :)

Good luck!

gwones said:
You're right, persistence pays off in the future.

You may or may not actually have the ability to fly, or at least to learn to the required standard within the time alotted. You may be one of the people who just gets nervous during flying tests. You may just be unlucky at the wrong time.

You have little control over those things.

You do have absolute control over the effort that you put in - working hard and excelling at academics and being as prepared as possible for each and every flight.

If you want your wings enough, if you are persistent enough, you can compensate somewhat for the things over which you have no control, and that may be enough to achieve your wings.

And, should you not make it, you will at least know that you did everything humanly possible; that is honourable, no matter how disappointing, and nobody has the right to look down upon someone who puts everything into such a goal but doesn't quite attain it.

I worked harder for my wings than for anything before or since. In some ways it was easy, because I had that goal, but it was also a long process, and seeing others drop out for one reason or another constantly injects an element of self-doubt.

That's where the persistence comes in.

Keep at it.

And feel free to use my secret self-motivational technique: when in doubt, remind yourself that "dumber people than me have been able to do this".

And good luck to you (all) too. That also makes a big difference, and is partially why I'm here.

Back