• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

You must fit in the trainer for what ever stream you are training on. Ex: Jet Ranger for rotorary, Hawk for high performance, and so on...

canuck054 said:
You must fit in the trainer for what ever stream you are training on. Ex: Jet Ranger for rotorary, Hawk for high performance, and so on...

But you don't know your stream from the get go, do you ;)

Max

That is true, as far as I know you get "streamed" after you finish the BFT in Moose Jaw.  :-\

Yes, you get your selection at the end of phase IIA.  I think you need to be fit for 2 streams to qualify for pilot (ie: you can be too tall for jets, but then you must be fit for helos and multis).  I think this is what I remember from the Flight Surgeon's brief last year...

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Yes, you get your selection at the end of phase IIA.  I think you need to be fit for 2 streams to qualify for pilot (ie: you can be too tall for jets, but then you must be fit for helos and multis).  I think this is what I remember from the Flight Surgeon's brief last year...

Max

That's what I remember being told as well. My question is, if you don't fit a training craft cockpit at medicals, does that rule you out of that stream altogether? I didn't fit the Jetranger (somehow?), so does that mean I won't have to worry about avoiding those god forsaken broken-wing machines? (Kidding!)

Astrodog said:
That's what I remember being told as well. My question is, if you don't fit a training craft cockpit at medicals, does that rule you out of that stream altogether? I didn't fit the Jetranger (somehow?), so does that mean I won't have to worry about avoiding those god forsaken broken-wing machines? (Kidding!)

You will find that your 'dimensions' may be what scrubs you from any pilot training.  It is a safety issue.  For instance the length of bones in your legs, may be too long, and cause 'catastrophic' amputation in the case your had to eject from certain types of aircraft. 

Zoomie said:
Apparently the scuttle butt is that an FE in Yellowknife has been "promoted" to OCDT and will be riding the Ops desk this summer at 440 Sqn while OJT.

Yes I am, but off to BOTQ pretty quick.....and "Promoted" is an overstatement.....  ;)

My best advice to everyone for ASC is do what you're told, relax, enjoy the experience and some things are beyond your control. Oh and it is 2 types of trainers but don't fret....i'm 6'4" ;)

Arctic007 said:
Yes I am, but off to BOTQ pretty quick.....and "Promoted" is an overstatement.....  ;)
Congrats M, (How is my grandson these days?) BB

WrenchBender

Just a small heads-up for those heading to Trenton, there is now a new (ok not really new as this system is used by the Brits) selection system being tested that may eventually be part of the selection process for Pilot wannabes. Participation in these trials is voluntary and results do not count towards the current process but your involvement is highly encouraged as it will help the forces determine if this system may eventually be useful in the selection process.

This is a PC-based exam taking about 2.5 hours to complete which evaluates a variety of cognitive skills. The problems on the test turn around maths, spatial visualization, hands-feet-eye coordination, text analysis, reflexes and memorization.

Candidates attending ASC are asked to take this test before jumping into the CAPSS. At the moment, the AirNav test is no longer mandatory for Pilot applicants (this may apply to DEO candidates only) and is being done after you got your result from CAPSS.

I do not know how long the trials will last but they need to gather a large enough sample to be statistically significant. It also has to be validated with the results on PFT from those who have taken this exam as the ultimate goal is to predict performance on PFT (just like CAPSS does at the moment). Depending on the results, this system could eventually be used as a pre-screening tool at the Recruiting Center before sending candidates to the ASC. It could even replace CAPSS should it produce better predications or simply be scrapped.

If there are any actual changes to the selection process, it will certainly not be for another couple years.

George Wallace said:
You will find that your 'dimensions' may be what scrubs you from any pilot training.  It is a safety issue.  For instance the length of bones in your legs, may be too long, and cause 'catastrophic' amputation in the case your had to eject from certain types of aircraft. 

I've heard of guys being allowed to sign waivers if they're too big (i.e. they still fit and can do the job but infringe on the safety limits).  Anyone know if this is true?

Never heard of it, and I highly doubt it. There are enough pilot applicants that it's not necessary. And even besides that, it just sounds like bullshit.

ScottS said:
I've heard of guys being allowed to sign waivers if they're too big (i.e. they still fit and can do the job but infringe on the safety limits).  Anyone know if this is true?

Never heard of waivers - we're not going to sacrifice the safety of a pilot over their need to fly in a plane that is too small/big for them.  Lessons learned have taught us that not fitting properly usually results in catastrophy.

Zoomie said:
Never heard of waivers - we're not going to sacrifice the safety of a pilot over their need to fly in a plane that is too small/big for them.   Lessons learned have taught us that not fitting properly usually results in catastrophy.
Yeah I agree, I was a little skeptical but the person who told me seemed to know what he was talking about.  It could have just been a one time thing, I think it was a Hornet pilot and he was fully trained and then they realized he was too tall.  I don't really know/remember the exact story, but likely he grew a lot after they measured him when he was 17, and since the money was already invested, they made an exception.

Anyways, that sucks.  I need to get shorter.

I have personally met a USAF f-16 pilot who was to tall for the aircraft and needed to sign a waiver. It is simple, if your leg dimensions are above the limit of the aircraft you are in serious trouble if you need to eject. He was on a exchange program with Britain.

This is in the USAF 

On a side note, sticking to this topic of ASC. I am going sometime in January 09. The whole SIM part has been covered all to well. My big question is the Pilot aptitude test or any other written tests that are administered during this time. What can I expect academically

Anyone shed some light ? 

Magic said:
My big question is the Pilot aptitude test or any other written tests that are administered during this time. What can I expect academically

Anyone shed some light ? 

No such thing for pilots. You may be thinking of the AirNav (now Air Combat Systems Operators?) test, but for pilots it is strictly the sim.

Magic said:
I have personally met a USAF f-16 pilot who was to tall for the aircraft and needed to sign a waiver. It is simple, if your leg dimensions are above the limit of the aircraft you are in serious trouble if you need to eject. He was on a exchange program with Britain.

This is in the USAF 

I don't think they would have you sign a waiver just so you can fly what you want.  IIRC, you need to be abled to fit (physical dimensions) into 2 of the 3 streams.  Actually, they are cracking the whip now and started weighting people before they go flying so they don't exceed the ejection seat limits (eighter too heavy or too light, something people turned a blind eye to for a long time).  So, if you're brand spanking new, with no experience, you can't be too good to go helos or multis.  They can send you wherever they want and if you don't fit in the Hawk (the Hawk is the smaller than the Hornet, so this is the limiting cockpit), you won't go jets.

Ha, I think I should be fine for all. I am 5'8 at 165 pounds.

That is good news about the Pilot aptitude test. I still however do have an air nav test when I go early Jan 09.

As for the pilot and waiver issue. I remember him saying that he acknowledges any liability of harm during ejection. I asked him since he was really tall.

I think it's probably true that waivers are permitted in rare cases, but it's probably unlikely :)() that they'll accept people for pilot training who already exceed the limits.  If you're already in, maybe.  Honestly though I have no idea and there's probably not many people who do know the details of this stuff.  Maybe if I walk around with a load of bricks for the next few weeks...  I know I shouldn't worry cause there's not much I can do, but it's still scary.

Magic, do you know the exact dates you're going?  I'm tentatively booked for 12-16 Jan.

I just gave my 3 choices, I think the first was Jan 5. I basically picked the first 3 weeks in the new year. Waiting on word which one is available.

Back