• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

I just heard back today - my dates are April 18\19 so youll probably hear back soon is my guess.

Pilot-Wannabe said:
I just heard back today - my dates are April 18\19 so youll probably hear back soon is my guess.

This is fantastic news!  Once of the nomination dates I was given was April 16-17.  I did hear back this morning the scheduler that was working with my file, and she had mentioned she had no new information (again), but that she was going to send an email inquiry today.  So fingers crossed.

And good luck to you!  :D :D

5kc11 said:
Hello,

I'm currently in the recruitment process, completed my interview and basic medical evaluation. Been waiting for a date for Air Crew Selection, but it keeps getting deferred. Its been a year now, with no word. I've called the recruitment center and its been the same line over and over. I'll receive an email 2 weeks prior to my test date.

Can anyone provide me with a timeline as to how long it took them to get a test date for Air Crew Selection?
Just to be specific, I'm a DEO applying for ACSO trade.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I'm a week out from phase 2 medical, so I'm not the best source of information but seeing as how you've had no public response I'll help out. Once you have completed your CFAT, IF you score high enough you qualify for the trade, I'll work off the assumption that you have your degree and scored high enough. What should happen next is that they do your background/security clearance checks. Mine took 6 months, though I had also applied for int officer. Once that is done they email you potential dates for ACS, these dates are for you to choose from, they will nominate you for one of the three you've selected and you'll be off. I did my ACS in December of 2017 and im only now going to be merit listed so expect more waiting. One thing I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend is going in to the RC in person bi-weekly. I had passed my background check and my RC had been sitting on it for a month, had I not gone in I doubt I would have heard for a while. Furthermore I had my medical (Phase one cleared) and had been ready to book my phase two for 3 weeks before I found out, again by going in person.

* I want to be clear i'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone or thing, I just want to make clear...WANT IT be a pain in their ass and go in once a week if you have to, show your  motivated. This process tests your motivation greatly. The ACS will test you ability and the training will test your mettle i'm sure but this Recruiting process test your motivation.

TL;DR - GO IN PERSON bi-weekly.

Hope this helps

Icarus035 said:
I'm a week out from phase 2 medical, so I'm not the best source of information but seeing as how you've had no public response I'll help out. Once you have completed your CFAT, IF you score high enough you qualify for the trade, I'll work off the assumption that you have your degree and scored high enough. What should happen next is that they do your background/security clearance checks. Mine took 6 months, though I had also applied for int officer. Once that is done they email you potential dates for ACS, these dates are for you to choose from, they will nominate you for one of the three you've selected and you'll be off. I did my ACS in December of 2017 and im only now going to be merit listed so expect more waiting. One thing I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend is going in to the RC in person bi-weekly. I had passed my background check and my RC had been sitting on it for a month, had I not gone in I doubt I would have heard for a while. Furthermore I had my medical (Phase one cleared) and had been ready to book my phase two for 3 weeks before I found out, again by going in person.

* I want to be clear i'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone or thing, I just want to make clear...WANT IT be a pain in their *** and go in once a week if you have to, show your  motivated. This process tests your motivation greatly. The ACS will test you ability and the training will test your mettle i'm sure but this Recruiting process test your motivation.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Finally, I got an answer today from the recruitment center that I'll receive an email soon since Ottawa has done processing my medical part1! Good news :)

Icarus035 said:

* I want to be clear i'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone or thing, I just want to make clear...WANT IT be a pain in their *** and go in once a week if you have to, show your  motivated. This process tests your motivation greatly. The ACS will test you ability and the training will test your mettle i'm sure but this Recruiting process test your motivation.

Hope this helps

They don't let you proceed with Aircrew selections until they do your background checks?

AliTheAce said:
They don't let you proceed with Aircrew selections until they do your background checks?
Seems to be a case by case basis or possibly the decision of the recruiting Center. I'm scheduled for ACS but have not yet had the background check done. Looking at the application samples I see ACS scheduled differently for many people

I apologize and should clarify, I am not an authority on the ACS i’ve Simply done it. I had intelligence officer as a trade as well as pilot and the background stuff is very lengthy for intelligence I believe, so it was done first. in terms of pilot, the thing that matters most is the ACS. With an rumoured fail rate of 75% (i’ve Been told 70-80%) it is usually the cut off for most people. Due to this they want to save time and resources and get it done first.

All that being said,I was on course with people who had done everything else from other provinces and this was the final stage, along with phase 2 medical. So brooks is probably right it’s case by case but if I had to guess I would say if you have other trades on your list expect to have the background check done then maybe the first medical + interview combo then ACS and phase 2.  If all you have is pilot I believe they ship you out to ACS ASAP once you’re done your CFAT. The cut off kills most dreams.

Reminder this has been my experience and yours may differ but hopefully this helps sort things out.

Icarus035 said:
I apologize and should clarify, I am not an authority on the ACS i’ve Simply done it. I had intelligence officer as a trade as well as pilot and the background stuff is very lengthy for intelligence I believe, so it was done first. in terms of pilot, the thing that matters most is the ACS. With an rumoured fail rate of 75% (i’ve Been told 70-80%) it is usually the cut off for most people. Due to this they want to save time and resources and get it done first.

All that being said,I was on course with people who had done everything else from other provinces and this was the final stage, along with phase 2 medical. So brooks is probably right it’s case by case but if I had to guess I would say if you have other trades on your list expect to have the background check done then maybe the first medical + interview combo then ACS and phase 2.  If all you have is pilot I believe they ship you out to ACS ASAP once you’re done your CFAT. The cut off kills most dreams.

Reminder this has been my experience and yours may differ but hopefully this helps sort things out.

Understood, thank you!

Jazz said:
Hello everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask..

Has anyone heard back about DEO ACS selections for the new fiscal year?  I was nominated for three dates in April (specifically told since there was no slots left in the current FY, I would have to wait for the new one), but I have yet to hear back.  And one of the proposed dates is this weekend!

I have emailed and went to the recruiting office in person a many times, but I just keep getting the same "there is no new information at this time" response. 

I'm just curious if any current DEO applicants waiting for ACS have been booked yet!  Any information is much appreciated! :D

I'm playing the same waiting game here....
Every other portion of my file is complete, just waiting on the dates (albeit, I'm re-testing so it could be a little different)...
I called the CFRC last week and they said, "you should be getting the email soon".
#hurryupandwait

Spc_Cdt said:
I'm playing the same waiting game here....
Every other portion of my file is complete, just waiting on the dates (albeit, I'm re-testing so it could be a little different)...
I called the CFRC last week and they said, "you should be getting the email soon".
#hurryupandwait

Hey there! 

I ended up calling the recruiting centre, and they said they were behind in booking ACS dates for DEO applicants.  I was nominated for new dates in May, and the following week (April 9th), I received the email nominating me for April 30 - May 1st testing dates.  The dates have been confirmed, I'm just waiting on travel and flight details.

Good luck!  Hope you hear back soon! :D

Also I am six feet, with long legs, I was told at ASC that I would not even fit in the cockpit of a fighter jet. So be warned hopeful topguns.
Anyway moving on to better opportunity, somewhere in the world, make more money, and not contribute to the bs of the military industrial complex.

mt.chep said:
Also I am six feet, with long legs, I was told at ASC that I would not even fit in the cockpit of a fighter jet.

How did you get official word on this? They only take measurements of pilot applicants after they passed ACS for pilot.

Roger123 said:
How did you get official word on this? They only take measurements of pilot applicants after they passed ACS for pilot.

Exactly,  we have a Pilot here at my unit.  CF-18 and Solo Snowbird.  Definitely north of 6 feet and lanky.  It may have been someone who shouldn't have given you their opinion at the time.

Roger123 said:

They now (or at least did last year) take measurements for pilots at ACS immediately following testing if you pass. So OP could've gone to ACS, passed, and then told after measurements that he would not be able to fly the hornet.

To ensure that everyone whom is 6' or taller is not deterred by the above comment, I qualified at ACS and am above 6'. Albiet I qualified and completed ACS over a year ago and the testing/measuring may have changed since then but I would not want all of the "topguns" to avoid chasing their dreams due to a comment.

The Hornet is likely not the issue but the path to the F-18.  The Hawk cockpit is tiny.

Yeah, I'm 6ft and passed anthro. The issue is that your femurs can't be too long or else if you eject your knees will hit the dash. It's all about your proportions. Some guy in my Aircrew class was 6'2'' and still passed. Like Supersonicmax said, it's not the CF18 that's the issue, it's the tiny Hawk.

Is it possible that ACS dates are assigned prioritarely to people with multiple trade choices? I just applied as pilot and been waiting for at least 7-8 months for ACS date confirmation (they are sending me to ACS before my interview/medical). I had to post new dates twice now. The recruiter couldn't help on that topic. I scored high in the CFAT and have an engineering degree with a good gpa (currently finishing my master) so my file shouldn't be that bad (no criminal record/debt/or anything either, though maybe 28 is a bit old for pilot applicant). I know it's a lenghty process and i will surely be patient but i was just wondering.

FSTG said:
Is it possible that ACS dates are assigned prioritarely to people with multiple trade choices? I just applied as pilot and been waiting for at least 7-8 months for ACS date confirmation (they are sending me to ACS before my interview/medical). I had to post new dates twice now. The recruiter couldn't help on that topic. I scored high in the CFAT and have an engineering degree with a good gpa (currently finishing my master) so my file shouldn't be that bad (no criminal record/debt/or anything either, though maybe 28 is a bit old for pilot applicant). I know it's a lenghty process and i will surely be patient but i was just wondering.

I am not sure about selection priorities but I was 37 when I went through ACS back in 2015; however, I was a UTPNCM applicant (17 years prior service), so that may have been taken into account.

FSTG said:
Is it possible that ACS dates are assigned prioritarely to people with multiple trade choices?

Dont take this as gospel but from what I have come across on this site, reddit, and interactions with other candidates, those with multiple trade choices will get the medical and interview first from a DEO standpoint. Those with pilot only applications seem to get the ACS first ( due to filtering and high ACS failure rate). RMC candidates have priority it seems during certain times of the year due to meeting university deadlines. When I went through, I had to give dates multiple times because I would give a date list to my recruiter and then 2 weeks later I would get an email stating that ACS was fully scheduled. This happened a second time and when I was about to submit my third set of dates, I got the email stating I was scheduled to write in a weeks time. I wrote among generally RMC candidates while my entry plan was DEO during late Feb.
    I would stay on top of status updates with your file manager via email both to confirm your list of dates is with the people at ACS and for the odd opportunity where a candidate drops from the course and he has to submit an individual, if that is even a thing. When I went to course, that was my operating theory of why I got loaded during that time of the year.

Back