• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Take a guy from pri 2 SAR to teach (pri 1). I guess there aren't any pri 3 or 4 pilots left? who needs AC's in a SAR sqn anyway.

Does ACS give you like a score that can help or hurt you from getting selected? Or is it just pass or fail like the aptitude test? It would be nice to know that's for sure, somehow I think it'd boost my confidence.

ASC is just a check in the box, you never see your score, it's a simple pass/fail.

I don;t know what it is about ACS?? does it sound better or more integrated in the sequence of letter than ASC?... hm.. just another waisted post by me.  :p

Thank you

Ha! The use of the two different terms has bothered me as well. It does make sense I suppose, as ACS would be Air Crew Selection, if you didn't know that Aircrew was one word. It's not a huge deal, except when trying to search for threads. I remember being very confused when I myself was looking for info on ASC.
  It seems so ingrained as to be useless to try to correct...

benny88 said:
   except when trying to search for threads. I remember being very confused when I myself was looking for info on ASC.

I hear that!

I can't tell you why this bothers me so much, but ASC or ACS - it is amazing how many people feel they have to find the secret to passing the tests on the forum. There are numerous threads that say, "there is no secret to ASC" so why start another? There are many test/evaluations in the CF. Do you have to discuss each one to death before hand to feel comfortable? If so, good luck. Just my $0.02.

I hear ya MG, although having been through ASC pretty recently (about a year) I gotta say it makes a little sense. The CFAT and medical and stuff, you get another shot at, ASC, if you fail, you need to get your next stage of pilot's license, which can be costly, and therefore impossible for some folk.   
      Now that I'm SLIGHTLY less of a FNG, I know what you mean, although I do still feel the pain of people heading to ASC.

MG: As a FNG I certainly feel privileged having access to a network of forum so informative about my future/dream career. The more I can educate myself about the pilot MOC the more I believe I will succeed towards expecting the unexpected. I don’t think that I am the only one who feels this way. For those who have triumphed through the basic application processes it’s easy to condemn the most basic test/evaluations threads on here.

That being said I’m sure most of you in the 32U have meticulously researched ASC before going or at least asked recruiters/pilots at your local CFRC what to expect.

This is why we have forums; no matter how repetitive it gets there will always be other people posting their opinions.

Zoomie said:
The CF is short quite a number of pilots (in the hundreds) - that being said, we are short operational pilots, not student pilots.

that seems like universal problem.  I am in marine industry and shortage of skilled personnel with high tickets is quite dramatic.  You cannot just take someone from street and make him engineer or captain.

benny88 said:
   Ha! The use of the two different terms has bothered me as well. It does make sense I suppose, as ACS would be Air Crew Selection, if you didn't know that Aircrew was one word. It's not a huge deal, except when trying to search for threads. I remember being very confused when I myself was looking for info on ASC.
  It seems so ingrained as to be useless to try to correct...

To add to the mix, ACS is an actual Air Force trade.  AirCraft Structures Technician. (Which, IMHO is the one I would have re-mustered to if I knew what I know now)

eurowing said:
To add to the mix, ACS is an actual Air Force trade.  AirCraft Structures Technician.

Haha oh no, damned acronyms.

I pretty much screwed myself today ... I've gotta learn how to follow directions before I'll amount to anything.

Chill out ballz, the last sim session is weighted the heaviest. Relax and watch the instruments.

If it cheers you up ballz, I heard from a current pilot today that a guy who crashed the CAPSS 7 times passed, and a guy who didn't crash once failed (in his group). It's about your learning curve not how well you fly.

Perfect_Clark said:
If it cheers you up ballz, I heard from a current pilot today that a guy who crashed the CAPSS 7 times passed, and a guy who didn't crash once failed (in his group). It's about your learning curve not how well you fly.

;D  .....or how well you crash.

George Wallace said:
;D  .....or how well you crash.

haha I can only hope ... I pulled the throttle out instead of pushing it in while trying to do a climbing turn haha ... I was wondering why pulling back on the yoke wasn't doing anything haha

I crashed my level circuit the first time.......went completely off the track lol. They came and reset me and then I was fine. Try not to get wound up if u make mistakes....keeping your cool will go a long way. I used to recite (is that how its spelt?) what the mission listed on the screen so that I knew in order exactly what had to be configured to achieve the given performance criteria.

Good luck.

Perfect_Clark said:

I actually crashed the simulator about four times and passed, haha.

Crashes are actually caused by the candidate exceeding pre-programmed parameters. When these parameters are exceeded, that specific simulator has to be reset and that specific practice or test is essentially re-done and re-evaluated. Therefore, crashing the thing doesn't record you as having failed that specific practice.

ballz said:
haha I can only hope ... I pulled the throttle out instead of pushing it in while trying to do a climbing turn haha ... I was wondering why pulling back on the yoke wasn't doing anything haha
Heheh. So can you tell us if there a stall warning in the sim?  ;)

Good luck today!!!

Back