• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
JMesh said:
Nope. Reserve force prior to the CANFORGEN:
age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College

Post CANFORGEN:
age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College or otherwise maintains full-time student status until age 17

Seen.

Stacked said:
So if the applicant remains in school, they can enroll at age 16 and must remain a full time student until age 17 or be released?

That is what it says in black and white.

This DAOD actually makes some other changes to the SOP beyond the age requirements:

Former Service in the CF, Other Military Force or RCMP

In accordance with QR&O article 6.02, Action Prior to Enrolment of Persons with Former Service, an applicant with former service in the CF, any other military force or the RCMP is required to:

state the particulars of that service;
state the cause of their release; and
produce their release papers.
In accordance with QR&O paragraphs 6.01(2) and (4), unless special authority is personally obtained from the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS), an applicant with former service shall not be enrolled if released:

as medically unfit;
for inefficiency;
with a conduct assessment below “good” or equivalent, other than a conduct assessment below “good” or equivalent that was based upon conviction for which a pardon has been granted under the Criminal Records Act; or
for misconduct.

For applicants with former CF service, the above includes any release from the CF under Item 1 (misconduct), 2 (unsatisfactory service), 3(a) (medically unfit for further service), 5(d) (not advantageously employable) or 5(f) (unsuitable for further service) of the Table to QR&O article 15.01, Release of Officers and Non-Commissioned Member. For applicants with former service in any other military force or the RCMP, the above includes any reason analogous to one of these Items.

Note – All previous CDS orders, instructions and authorizations that provided authority for officers subordinate to the CDS to authorize the enrolment of applicants with former service have been revoked.

There were actually several other changes to the DAOD in the January amendment, including that one cannot be a member of the Canadian Cadet Organizations and the Canadian Forces. However, they were not changed in this CANFORGEN, but rather a re-write of the DAOD.

JMesh said:
...that one cannot be a member of the Canadian Cadet Organizations and the Canadian Forces...

That's not actually new policy.  Although, it may not have been included in that DAOD before.

211RadOp said:
3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17

I am a 16 year old high school student who has completed all testing (CFAT, Medical, Interview, ect.) who is awaiting enrollment.  However, I was told that I could not enrolled until I reached the age of 17. 

Could anyone clarify what "Full-Time Student Status" means?  I thought I would have qualified for this but perhaps I have misread.

Unless you are applying for RMC you can ignore that line. To join the PRes you must be 17.

For the RMC enlistment option I would assume that full time student means you must still attend high school then once you complete high school you start RMC. 

-Skeletor- said:
Unless you are applying for RMC you can ignore that line. To join the PRes you must be 17.

For the RMC enlistment option I would assume that full time student means you must still attend high school then once you complete high school you start RMC.

Okay I understand now.  Thank you for clarifying.

....and JMesh argued the same point RecceApplicant did in a different thread.

As always, interpretation of policies can vary but it is best to follow the CFRC. This is an example why we stress this is an unofficial site.

agc said:
That's not actually new policy.  Although, it may not have been included in that DAOD before.

It was still possible to be a cadet and a primary reservist at the same time until quite recently.

Actually you'll want to contact the unit you want o join interestingly enough.

I'm not sure if it is CF wide but I know in London the CFRC has implemented a new process where individuals must interview with a unit who than decides if they want to offer them one of their (now limited) spots. If we do we give them a form letter to take to the CFRC who will then start the process.

A little longer process but I think we will see the quality of soldiers hired increase if the units know who they are hiring.

As for 4 RCR, I know we will not interview anyone who is not yet 17, there are enough individuals interested who we can actually hire there is no time.

Ranger Rick said:
Actually you'll want to contact the unit you want o join interestingly enough.

I'm not sure if it is CF wide but I know in London the CFRC has implemented a new process where individuals must interview with a unit who than decides if they want to offer them one of their (now limited) spots. If we do we give them a form letter to take to the CFRC who will then start the process.

A little longer process but I think we will see the quality of soldiers hired increase if the units know who they are hiring.

As for 4 RCR, I know we will not interview anyone who is not yet 17, there are enough individuals interested who we can actually hire there is no time.

That is the same policy being enforced by the CFRC and units in Ottawa.

Cycophant said:
Individuals who are slightly older may not always be at the same physical level as their younger counterparts (though many can, in fact, meet or surpass the younger ones), but they bring something else entirely to the table.  Something that‘s not easily replaced.

I know this is not the gist of what you are aiming at, but relatively effortless retention of muscle mass and strength are among the things we, the older guys, can bring to the table.  When younger, I would work out, then, well, I will not use the term "shrivel" when I ceased to work out, but that is what it could feel like.

I was enrolled into the CF (PRes) at age 16 in 1999. I turned 17 before going on my QL3 Infantry. I was a full-time student this time period.

So, not much has changed. :-\

The Essex and Kent Scottish (Eeks and Squeeks) to be more precise. I have two jobs currently, one being seasonal the other being year round. I was employed at both within the same week in September of this year. What are the chances of me getting recruited? I'm hoping to become an Infantry Soldier after high school. I'm currently in Grade 12 and not involved in any sports due to my work schedule.

Go down to the E&K and talk to someone. I know some guys in the unit and from the sounds of things they're not recruiting much (*cough* the Windsors are though *cough* ;) ) Your best bet would be to go down to the unit and ask if they are hiring at the moment. Some units are, some aren't.

AgentSmith said:
Go down to the E&K and talk to someone. I know some guys in the unit and from the sounds of things they're not recruiting much (*cough* the Windsors are though *cough* ;) ) Your best bet would be to go down to the unit and ask if they are hiring at the moment. Some units are, some aren't.

Haha thanks for the helpful cough :p I'm driving into Windsor this week to go talk to someone. The Windsors are Armoured no? I want to be Infantry specifically. And if they aren't hiring would it still be best to leave them all the paperwork? Or should I just call/go in every now and then to see if their hiring before leaving the paperwork?

Yes, the Windsors are Armoured  Recce (why carry your kit, when your kit can carry you? ;) ) Still, Infantry is a good trade, good on you for wanting to go with it. I would suggest calling/dropping in every now and then if they're not hiring since leaving them the paperwork otherwise would be pointless. You don't deal with the unit much during the recruiting process, you deal mostly with the recruiting center.

You could also if the E & K aren't currently hiring you could join the Windsor Regiment and then transfer over to the E & K Scots.  Units who are not recruiting sometimes will take transfers form other units.

Lowlander said:
You could also if the E & K aren't currently hiring you could join the Windsor Regiment and then transfer over to the E & K Scots.  Units who are not recruiting sometimes will take transfers form other units.

Even so, a unit transfer is never guaranteed and it can take quite a long time to transfer over (plus you'd be wasting a unit's time and a space that someone who really wanted to join the unit could have used instead). Upflames: if you really want Infantry just wait out for the E&K to have an open position.

Back