• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
Journeyman said:
If I were a betting man (and I seldom bet on anything that can talk, skewing the game), I suspect the reason was to make Reserve enrolment just a bit more restrictive. With budget and personnel cuts announced and more to come, Reserve hiring will become even more limited -- why allow/encourage 16 year olds to be . . .

While this change to reserve enrolment age would have this benefit, I suspect that the motive behind this change was more likely to be a simple move to make the enrolment criteria the same for Regular and Reserve (and Special Force) service.  Having one standard (regardless of terms of service) is easier to defend if challenged, whether by activist groups in the media (e.g. "child soldiers") or by individuals at a human rights tribunal (e.g. some loony child crying discrimination because he can't get in the Reg Force at age 16).

My experience with the Reserves (or the Regular Force for that matter) is very dated but I suspect that an analysis of reserve recruit statistics would show that the percentage of 16 year olds enrolled to be very small.

An equally valid guess at NDHQ-think 
shrug.gif

Journeyman said:
An equally valid guess at NDHQ-think 
shrug.gif

It's been over twenty years since I was at NDHQ, but some thought processes are hard to get rid of - - - even with electro-convulsive therapy.

Blackadder1916 said:
My experience with the Reserves (or the Regular Force for that matter) is very dated but I suspect that an analysis of reserve recruit statistics would show that the percentage of 16 year olds enrolled to be very small.

My military experience is very dated. And limited.
But, on my Student Summer Employment Plan (SSEP) GMT course, I believe we were all "16 going on 17" ( like the old song ). 

Stacked said:
This will effect the Co-Op program for sure. Should limit it to mostly students in Grade 12 now.

Hell, I didn't even think of that.

Honestly, I approve of this move overall though. While a lot of 17 year olds don't know what they're getting themselves into, sixteen years olds have fully a year less of mature thinking under their belt.

If we cannot meet recruiting goals without having to recruit sixteen year olds, we're doing something wrong anyway. Limiting ourselves to those closer to adulthood is, I think, both an ethical and in the long term a more effective route.

I suspect the "one standard, easier to defend and admininster" is the intent there; indeed, there's a growing desire to streamline admin processes to have a single CF standard with exceptions if needed.  Maintaining the amss of policies in the CF is a nightmare; keeping the number down to a manageable number means they are more likely to be current and relevant.

Joining at 16 changed me in every way possible, over the last year I've changed from a egoistical fat, spoiled 16 year old, I only cared about me.  I was a mess, going through BMQ/SQ the (co-op) Once I got the taste of 'Army Life' I hated it, I wanted out, the staff wanted me out, god even my friends didn't want to be with me, into a trained P res Soldier at 17, who works hard, and puts 100ish% into absolutely everything. The army sorted me out, and now I believe it can sort lots of people out at 16 as well.

In no way Physically/mentally/socially prepared for what was going down over the semester.  After a few too many 'harsh' (albeit well deserved) jackings, I thought about what I wanted out of it, I came to the sudden realization about week 3/4 that I joined the army, and the army didn't join me.  Note: I've since un-pumped my ways.

Something leads me to believe that there was far too much of this going on, except, quitting, I would think that by sending immature kids out, to training, and have them become an administrative nightmare, and pay to send them all the way home, with purely nothing to show, except minus the money to get and get them home, i'm sure it goes on with every age group, but I can GUESS that the lack of us youngs guys that show up to begin with, they could have been loosing money on them, rather then getting trained soldiers.

Blackadder1916 said:

My guess would be that it varies by element and region (ie with the AF Res hiring mainly from Reg F at end TOS).  Probably as high as 50% in areas where part time employment for students is low.

I'm going to side with BlackAdder1916 and dapaterson on this one. Think of it: a single, universal, sensible, defensible enrolment age standard for the CF. 

What a great idea!!!

Let's hope it catches on.

I recently got a e-mail from Forces.ca saying...

Good day Paul,

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Forces (CF).

The minimum age to join the Primary Reserves recently changed to 17 years old, the same as the Regular Forces.

Should you have any additional questions please contact us by email, chat or the toll-free number below. 

Any reason why they changed the minimum age?

Unbelievable...
After waiting since my 16th birthday in August to join, and April just around the corner, it changes now. There goes my chances of getting in this year. See you next April reserves  :rage:

SoldierInAYear said:
Any reason why they changed the minimum age?
In the fullness of time, I too agree with Blackadder1916, dapaterson, Haggis...AND the email you received: "The minimum age to join the Primary Reserves recently changed to 17 years old, the same as the Regular Forces."

Is it possible to start the application process prior to the required age?  ???

I am 16 now, and my birthday will be in August, 4 months after the new fiscal year. I would hate to have to wait until August, and most likely miss this round of positions, like I did last year. Especially since I probably would not be fully processed until my birthday regardless.

C.G.R said:
Is it possible to start the application process prior to the required age?  ???

I'm thinking, no:

To be eligible for enrolment as an officer, an applicant is required to have reached:

* in the Reg F:
          o age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College or civilian university; or
          o age 17, in any other case;
    * in the Res F:
          o age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College;
          o age 18, if the applicant enrols in the COATS or the Canadian Rangers; or
          o age 17, in any other case; and

To be eligible for enrolment as a NCM, an applicant is required to have reached age 17, except for applicants in the COATS or the Canadian Rangers who are required to have reached age 18

Call the CFRC and see what they say.  They may let you apply but not action your paperwork until your 17th birthday, in which case, your info would be four months out of date.

That is what I had pretty well figured myself,  :-\

Well hopefully there are some leftovers in August for my taking!

CANFORGEN 038/11 CMP 019/11 171252Z FEB 11
AMENDMENT TO MINIMUM ENROLMENT AGE DAOD 5002-1
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: DAOD 5002-1 ENROLMENT

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO AMEND THE POLICY AT REF REGARDING THE MINIMUM AGES FOR ENROLMENT IN THE CF. THIS AMENDMENT BROADENS THE SELECTION OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS UNDER WHICH AN APPLICANT MAY BE ENROLLED AT AGE 16. REF WILL BE MODIFIED IN DUE COURSE

2. THE MINIMUM AGE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT VARIES. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE REGULAR FORCE, AN APPLICANT IS REQUIRED TO HAVE REACHED:

A. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE, OR

B. AGE 17 IN ALL OTHER CASES

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17

C. AGE 17 IN ANY OTHER CASE

4. THE MINIMUM AGE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE SPECIAL FORCE IS AGE 17

5. THE CONSENT OF A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN IS REQUIRED FOR THE ENROLMENT OF AN APPLICANT WHO IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ON THE DAY OF ENROLMENT

6. CDA HAS BEEN REQUESTED TO UNDERTAKE A REVIEW OF THE HIGH SCHOOL CO-OP INITIATIVE FOR P RES CANDIDATES TO ENSURE IT MEETS THE INTENT OF THIS POLICY AMENDMENT

7. DGMP/DHRD WILL CONDUCT A REVIEW OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR RESERVE SUMMER PROGRAMS, BLACK BEAR, RAVEN AND BOLD EAGLE, TO ENSURE THAT THEY REMAIN COMPLIANT WITH THIS POLICY

8. SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

Hmmm, was the DAOD amended before the CANFORGEN came out?

Posted here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98741/post-1010427.html#msg1010427

DAOD was amended effective 1 Jan 11, while this CANFORGEN was released in Feb 11.

So I guess the purpose of the message was to inform of the amendment of the policy, as opposed to actually amending it.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
So I guess the purpose of the message was to inform of the amendment of the policy, as opposed to actually amending it.  ;)

Nope. Reserve force prior to the CANFORGEN:
age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College

Post CANFORGEN:
age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College or otherwise maintains full-time student status until age 17

Back