• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
cfinnwindsor said:
17 even with parental consent?

Are you asking if you need parental consent to join at 17?  If so,  then yes parental consent is needed for enlistment unless you are 18 or older.

Yes I know you need consent under 18, but i was under the impression that you could join at 16 with parental consent, not 17.  Looks like I'm waiting another year

It is not 17... at least where I live?

I am currently in the process and have the medical and interview left. I'm 16.

I believe it's:

16 with parental consent for the Reserves

17 with parental consent for the Reg Force

They processed my application at 16, but I was not sworn in until I turned 17 a few months afterwards.

You can begin the application process at 16, but you can not be enrolled until you are 17. 

@ Habs- Thats what I thought too man, I'll just go take a trip to the recruiting centre
@ Hatchet man and C.G.R- in that case I'll sign up now and hopefully I'll be all ready to go for my birthday

I guess this must have changed int he last few years, I did my Co-Op BMQ at 16, with parental consent, in 2007. I turned 17 right before I finished my DP1 Infantry.
I am in roughly the same area as yourself (Kitchener). However, if the guys on here are saying 17, I would take their work over mine, as things may well have changed since I went through.

This is what the recruiting website says:

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
Be a Canadian Citizen

Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106

Odd, I'm sure my BMQ course had a 16 year old.

Granted he DID turn 17 during the middle of the course.

You can join the reserves at 16. I know people who have joined the reserves at 16 within this year and I was toyed around with at the recruitment centers when they claimed to have changed it. They said they had changed it to 17, then one month later, they switched it back to 16. It was changed so you had to be in highschool to apply at 16 otherwise you would have to wait until 17 to apply for the reserves.

I remember talking to my recruiting officer about this when I first applied, he said you can apply, train and join all when you're 16, as long as you maintain full time student status.

The Captain at my CFRC told me that I'd be going to BMQ this summer if I pass my medical, interview, and get a spot with my unit... I don't turn 17 until October.

Best bet, though, is to just go to your local unit/CFRC.

This is the OFFICIAL word from the recruiting bible.  If you are on DWAN and are interested PM for the link

3.2.0 Age on Enrolment

Refs: A.  QR&O 6.01 - Qualifications  for Enrolment
B.  CFAO 9-12 - Regular Officer Training Plan
C.  DAOD 5002-4 - Supplementary Reserve
D.  DAOD 5002-1, Enrolment
E.  Military Personnel Command - The New CF Regular Force Terms of Service
F.  CFAO 15-3 - Release By Age and Years of Service Officers - Regular Force
G.  CMP Instr 09/06 - Military Personnel Command - Compulsory Retirement Ages For The Supplementary Reserve (Supp Res), Cadet Instructors Cadre (Cic) And The Canadian Rangers (Cdn Rangers)
H.  CANFORGEN 038/11 - CMP - 171252Z FEB 11 - AMENDMENT TO MINIMUM ENROLMENT AGE DAOD 5002-1

1. Minimum Enrolment Ages:

a. The minimum age to be eligible for enrolment varies. To be eligible for enrolment in the Regular Force, an applicant is required to have reached:

(1) Age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College or civilian university or college, or

(2) Age 17 in all other cases.

b. In the Reserve Force, an applicant must be:

(1) Age 18, if the applicant enrols in the COATS or Canadian Rangers.

(2) Age 16, if the applicant is selected for education and training at a Royal Military College or otherwise maintains full-time student status until age 17.

(3) Age 17 in any other case.

c. The minimum age for enrolment in the Special Force is age 17.

d. The consent of a custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the enrolment of an applicant who is under the age of 18 on the day of enrolment.

Hatchet Man said:
  c.  The minimum age for enrolment in the Special Force is age 17.
Now, you know you're going to get all the "oh, dude, totally.....I can join the Special Forces at 17..." posts.

:pop:

Journeyman said:
Now, you know you're going to get all the "oh, dude, totally.....I can join the Special Forces at 17..." posts.

:pop:

I am not responsible for people's lack of reading comprehension and/or google skills. ;)

Hatchet Man said:
c.  The minimum age for enrolment in the Special Force is age 17.

Unless my brain has caught a terrible case of the dumb... If the minimum age is 16 for the CF, and SF requires 2 years of service....wait wat?

Dkeh said:
Unless my brain has caught a terrible case of the dumb... If the minimum age is 16 for the CF, and SF requires 2 years of service....wait wat?

The Special Force is not "special forces".

Read QR&O Volume 1, Chapter 2 , article 2.01 "Constitution Of The Canadian Forces" and article 2.04 "The Special Force".

(2) The components of the Canadian Forces are: (a) the Regular Force; (b) the Reserve Force; and

(c) when established by the Governor in Council under section 16 of the National Defence Act, the Special Force. (See article 2.04 - The Special Force.)

“16. (1) In an emergency, or if considered desirable in consequence of any action undertaken by Canada under the United Nations Charter, the North Atlantic Treaty or any other similar instrument for collective defence entered into by Canada, the Governor in Council may establish and authorize the maintenance of a component of the Canadian Forces, called the special force, consisting of:

(a) officers and non-commissioned members of the regular force who are placed in the special force under conditions prescribed in regulations;

(b) officers and non-commissioned members of the reserve force who, being on active service or having applied and been accepted for continuing, full-time military service, are placed in the special force under conditions prescribed in regulations; and

(c) officers and non-commissioned members not of the regular force or the reserve force who are enrolled in the special force for continuing, full- time military service.”

Back