• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

I'm 31 and just handed in my application on Friday...  I can't believe people consider over 30's to be "too old"....  Crazy in my opinion.

Youth has no age...

D :cdn:

CDN Aviator said:
CRA is 55. Not everyone has an entitlement to CRA 60

Does that mean that except if you're in certain trades, you are "let go" at 55 ?

Roy Harding said:
Age has little to do with it (leaving physical infirmities aside) - it's mostly to do with your mindset.

I can't comment on that on the army side. But for the civilian side, I think he's right on target...
I've got friends on their 30's that are of older mindset then the one in their 70' ...

[Edit to add a "[" that was missing in the code.]

I am 36 and I joined 5 weeks ago! I wouldn't be concerned about age. It is the right mindset that counts.

HIghFlyer said:
I am 36 and I joined 5 weeks ago! I wouldn't be concerned about age. It is the right mindset that counts.

Don't let age be the deciding factor in joining the Res.
I was accepted back into the Res. back in 2002 at the very young age of 52.

If you are physical and mentally fit for the career choose then go for it.

Its a memory that will live with you forever. :warstory:

hey
im 52 ,,,,was released 3-b medical...stupid quesion ,,can i still join the reserves,,,ill sign wavers up the
ying yang to wear that uniform,,,i can still give as good as it gets....no prob....
wishing upon a star....anyone know ricks home phone...email,,,office number....
right ill shadup now,,,
                                  scoty b

I am sorry if this is a second post on the same subject but my orginal seems to have disappeared as I
likely put it in the wrong spot. It will be a bit embarassing if I can not figure out how to use this web site.  Firstly, my sincere graditute to everyone in the Forces.  I am older - o.k. way older 53 but in very good shape.  Finished a recent ultra-marathon (65 km) in third place.  I have also run 42 km at near minus 40 in Northern Alberta (Rainbow Lake) one past Jan. I may have been the only guy in the "40/40 - World's toughest marathon" but it was still fun. I love this type of stuff.  Climbing, sky diving , looking for andacondas in the Amazon gets me going a lot more than golf.  While I have a degree with some very impressive marks I would prefer to go as a medic rather than as an officer.  I have been told that I am not too old but hope this is not just for political correctness.  I certainkly do not want to look like an idiot going through a mid life crisis, or to waste my time.  Any advice, especially from medic people would be greatly appreciated

It hasnt disapeared, it was merged with a thread on that subject that already existed.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13210/post-799124.html#msg799124

I've read a lot of posts here and there seems to be a wealth of knowlege. I'd like to take advantage of that.
I'm looking for advice on whether I'd be a candidate for the reserves. My city regiment is the 2IR.
I'm looking for a no BS assessment. Here's the details:
I'm 40 years old. That is my first worry. This year I completed my first half ironman triathlon, so I have a good level of fitness, but I'm still much older that the average candidate.
I've been a full time firefighter for 13 years, and I'm an Acting Captain (Captain within 2 years). I also have completed the Certified Company Officer Diploma through the Ontario Fire College.
I've worked as a paramedic, security guard, and I've taught high angle and confined space rescue, water rescue, and CPR/First Aid/Defib. I also taught College for 5 years in the Pre-Service Firefighter program.
As for my education, I have a college diploma in Business and I am a certified Paramedic 1. I'm also working on a BSc through correspondance. Would I be better to go Officer or NCM?
I have 3 daughters, aged 7-12, and my wife is completing a Nursing Degree. She asked if I was still interested in joining after she graduates.
My Chief told me yesterday that he is exploring ways for department members to be able to serve in the reserves, ie. time off, topping up pay, etc.
I'm not looking for comments on my resume, and I don't want to seem like I'm fishing for compliments. I would like a Go-No Go opinion.
Thanks for any heop you can give me.

The simple "Go/No-Go" advice is "GO".

I suggest you go and chat with the unit recruiter about your options and the training time commitments each of them will require.  That time requirement may be what narrows your choices.  The recruiter will also be able to investigate if your BSc program by correspondence is sufficient for enrollment as an officer, it may depend on how much you have completed and how long it will take to completion.

40 isn't old! How many more people do we have to have come here and think that just because that their older then most people who join means that they will not do good. That's wrong. If you're in good shape, and have the knowledge and willingness to learn, you'll do just fine.

As for becoming and Officer vs. NCM, that's you're choice. Do what you think would be suite you. Some people would much rather be out in the field, doing hands on work, while others would much rather spend a bit more in the office. (Not saying that Officers do not get to go out in the field, or that NCMs are always out in the field.)

When it comes down to it, you seem more then able to become a member of the Forces, and it is also a matter of personal opinion, to either be an Office or NCM. There are loads of information on here, but I think you might have gone though it already ;) Also, check out the Unit Recruiter, since they can help you out a lot more then us on here.

Best of luck to you.

Best place to find out is by visiting the local armoury & have a chat with the nice people.
On a fitness level, you need not worry
On an age level, you need not worry - x-cept possibly being refered to as "pops" by the young 'uns... whom you can run into the ground.
Only thing you have to fear - the boys finding out, weithin the next 4 years that you have a 16-17 year old daughter they'd like to meet... (get a shotgun)

I just note that you appear to have your hands busy at present - between raising the kids, covering off for your wife while she is studying, correspondence school, professional development at work etc, etc, etc.....  just make sure you aren't spreading yourself out too thin.

Other than that, come on in - the water's fine

CHIMO!

13 PAGES

13 Pages of people asking about the Age Limits for joining the Reserves.  13 Pages of answers, all saying the same thing. 

I have read threw the whole thread, and i see that a few people have joined before being 16. Does the credit thing mean you have to finish grade ten or can someone explain the credit thing to me?

2007brennanm said:
I have read threw the whole thread, and i see that a few people have joined before being 16. Does the credit thing mean you have to finish grade ten or can someone explain the credit thing to me?

From the CF Recruiting Site:

Q. I would like to join the Canadian Forces. What are the basic requirements?
A. You must meet the following minimal conditions:
be a Canadian citizen (if you have a permanent resident status, you may still be considered eligible for employment under certain conditions); be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/guardian consent for minors; have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

So, in brief:

YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 16 TO JOIN THE RESERVES

YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED GRADE 10

Any other questions?

Is it normal for a 39 year old male to be considering a part-time career as a reservist? Is it common? I have been giving this some serious thought and would love to serve my country while continuing in my full-time profession.

Your thoughts?

Young (but not too) whippersnapper!!!  ;D

I'm 42 and just got sworn in last month to the army reserve.  If you want it, go for it, but be ready.

39? ...yer just a pup man:)

I've also recently applied - at 48... >:D

seriously, in a recent phone conversation with a Capt. at the CFRC in Edmonton, he advised that the age limit for an army reserve recruit is 60: you have to be able to complete, BMQ, BMQ-L (formerly SQ) and DP1 before mandatory retirement age.

Back