• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

desert_rat said:
39? ...yer just a pup man:)

I've also recently applied - at 48... >:D

seriously, in a recent phone conversation with a Capt. at the CFRC in Edmonton, he advised that the age limit for an army reserve recruit is 60: you have to be able to complete, BMQ, BMQ-L (formerly SQ) and DP1 before mandatory retirement age.

Once again:

George Wallace said:
13 PAGES

13 Pages of people asking about the Age Limits for joining the Reserves.  13 Pages of answers, all saying the same thing.

One can serve until they are 60 years old.  They must have joined well before that date in order to become Trade qualified and employable.  That means that you have to have a number of years in which to pass through basic training (BMQ and BMQ (L) ), a Trades Course, and be employable in that Trade prior to compulsory Release.  If you are 54 or 55 years old, you may have just reached the maximum cut-off limit depending on what Trade you are trying to enter.

To replies # 176, 177, 178, 179: Thanks for the quick replies.

George Wallace, thanks for your feedback. I guess if I had used better keywords in my search I may have found the Age Limits thread.

So, you've all answered my question; turning 40 is not the end of the world. It will be a new beginning for me.
:salute:

Cheers all...

...turning 40 is not the end of the world

sheesh, I sure hope not, unless I didn't get the memo...;)

p.s. George Wallace, thanks for the clarification :)

If you're looking into the Cadet Instructors Cadre (Supplementary Reserver) I believe the mandatory retirement age is 65

lethalLemon said:
If you're looking into the Cadet Instructors Cadre (Supplementary Reserver) I believe the mandatory retirement age is 65

Let's not start adding to the confusion with the inclusion of Cadet Instructors in this discussion on joining the Primary Reserves. 

Anyone intending to find the criteria for Cadet Instructors, can look in the Cadet Forums.

George Wallace said:
Let's not start adding to the confusion with the inclusion of Cadet Instructors in this discussion on joining the Primary Reserves. 

Anyone intending to find the criteria for Cadet Instructors, can look in the Cadet Forums.

It's still an option; the thread doesn't specify which, plus it's in the recruiting section - where one would come to look for info on all things related to CF and enlisting whether it be superninjaJTF2psyops Regiment or the CIC - which is Supplementary Reserves.

But hey, I'll settle.

I'm 15 and was told by my father who was a former Queens Own Cameron Highlanders member that the minimum age to join is 16 with parental consent. I was in army cadets for a few years and got sick of the kids and quit. But while I was in cadets I heard from some of the older members that the age was changed to 17, is this true? Thanks to whoever responds.

Reserves is 16, grade 10 completed, must be full time student(ie still in school). 

CANFORGEN 038/11 CMP 019/11 171252Z FEB 11
AMENDMENT TO MINIMUM ENROLMENT AGE DAOD 5002-1
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: DAOD 5002-1 ENROLMENT

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO AMEND THE POLICY AT REF REGARDING THE MINIMUM AGES FOR ENROLMENT IN THE CF. THIS AMENDMENT BROADENS THE SELECTION OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS UNDER WHICH AN APPLICANT MAY BE ENROLLED AT AGE 16. REF WILL BE MODIFIED IN DUE COURSE

2. THE MINIMUM AGE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT VARIES. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE REGULAR FORCE, AN APPLICANT IS REQUIRED TO HAVE REACHED:

A. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE, OR

B. AGE 17 IN ALL OTHER CASES

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17

C. AGE 17 IN ANY OTHER CASE

4. THE MINIMUM AGE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE SPECIAL FORCE IS AGE 17

5. THE CONSENT OF A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN IS REQUIRED FOR THE ENROLMENT OF AN APPLICANT WHO IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ON THE DAY OF ENROLMENT

6. CDA HAS BEEN REQUESTED TO UNDERTAKE A REVIEW OF THE HIGH SCHOOL CO-OP INITIATIVE FOR P RES CANDIDATES TO ENSURE IT MEETS THE INTENT OF THIS POLICY AMENDMENT

7. DGMP/DHRD WILL CONDUCT A REVIEW OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR RESERVE SUMMER PROGRAMS, BLACK BEAR, RAVEN AND BOLD EAGLE, TO ENSURE THAT THEY REMAIN COMPLIANT WITH THIS POLICY

8. SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

I am the recruiter for a reserve regiment. Right now there is a small discrepancy between the CANFORGEN and the DAOD regarding 16 year olds who remain in high school-

YES. A 16 year old, with grade ten complete, who remains a full time high school student can join the reserves not counting the Cadet Instructor Cadre). I confirmed that via Canadian Forces Recruiting Group public affairs, plus from two recruiters at my local detachment.

Some recruiting centers are apparently not processing 16 year olds for the reserves. This is due to that confusion above, and as a result of my query I was told that clarification would be sent to CFRCs to the effect that the CANFORGEN is the more complete correct reference.

CIC - which is Supplementary Reserves.

Semantics but...We're not the SuppRes, we're the CIC , our own sub component.

39 ? no lot's sweat, good luck to you.

cheers,

PV

On the other end of the spectrum, why are you not allowed to work past 60?  How did they come up with this number?  The 60 year olds of today are much "younger" than the 60 years olds a generation or two ago.  Your ability to do the job should not be based solely on a number.  (I believe there is an army doctor in the US who recently deployed in his 70's or 80's.  He was valued for his immense experience and expertise).  Has anybody challenged this with Human Rights Tribunal or other appropriate avenue?

curious george said:
(I believe there is an army doctor in the US who actively recently deployed in his 70's or 80's.  He was valued for his immense experience and expertise).
If one were to set standards based upon singular exceptions, I'd like to bring 35 year old Matt Bogdanowicz, who did 522 chin-ups over the span of an hour at a USMC Recruiting centre into the equation.

To be clear, this is a recruiting thread...and I'm guessing that the doctor who deployed "in his 70's or 80's" was neither recruited this week, nor was expected to deploy as a Pte/Cpl.....in any capacity.

Journeyman said:
If one were to set standards based upon singular exceptions, I'd like to bring 35 year old Matt Bogdanowicz, who did 522 chin-ups over the span of an hour at a USMC Recruiting centre into the equation.

To be clear, this is a recruiting thread...and I'm guessing that the doctor who deployed "in his 70's or 80's" was neither recruited this week, nor was expected to deploy as a Pte/Cpl.....in any capacity.

He had previous military experience.

As for the 522 chin ups in an hour... :eek:

Brihard said:
Some recruiting centers are apparently not processing 16 year olds for the reserves. This is due to that confusion above, and as a result of my query I was told that clarification would be sent to CFRCs to the effect that the CANFORGEN is the more complete correct reference.

CFRC Toronto did not begin processing me until I was almost 17, and I was not allowed to be sworn in until after my 17th birthday (according to them). If anyone is 16 and considering going to the CFRC Toronto, as far as I know they are not processing 16 year olds.

P_Laurin said:
CFRC Toronto did not begin processing me until I was almost 17, and I was not allowed to be sworn in until after my 17th birthday (according to them). If anyone is 16 and considering going to the CFRC Toronto, as far as I know they are not processing 16 year olds.

As far as I know, you don't work at CFRC Toronto, so you should refrain from making assumptions about who/who is not be processed at the moment.  FYI your assumption is false.

Hatchet Man said:
As far as I know, you don't work at CFRC Toronto, so you should refrain from making assumptions about who/who is not be processed at the moment.  FYI your assumption is false.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106953.25.html

Someone in that thread, I believe, said that CFRC Toronto and other CFRC have different standards. CFRC Toronto is not processing 16 year olds and others, like CFRC Ottawa, are.

Habs said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106953.25.html

Someone in that thread, I believe, said that CFRC Toronto and other CFRC have different standards. CFRC Toronto is not processing 16 year olds and others, like CFRC Ottawa, are.

That's nice but I don't need to read it because it would still be wrong, hint I am not an applicant, nor am I making wild assumptions about the inner workings of the recruiting world.  Their is only one standard.  If someone isn't doing things properly its more than likely cause they are new to the job and/or the applicants involved are hearing/believing what THEY want to hear/believe.

Hatchet Man said:
That's nice but I don't need to read it because it would still be wrong, hint I am not an applicant, nor am I making wild assumptions about the inner workings of the recruiting world.  Their is only one standard.  If someone isn't doing things properly its more than likely cause they are new to the job and/or the applicants involved are hearing/believing what THEY want to hear/believe.

Oh I didn't even see it. The guy in that thread posted in here, several posts up:

I am the recruiter for a reserve regiment. Right now there is a small discrepancy between the CANFORGEN and the DAOD regarding 16 year olds who remain in high school-

YES. A 16 year old, with grade ten complete, who remains a full time high school student can join the reserves not counting the Cadet Instructor Cadre). I confirmed that via Canadian Forces Recruiting Group public affairs, plus from two recruiters at my local detachment.

Looks like there isn't only one standard.

Habs said:
Looks like there isn't only one standard.

There is only one standard its the Recruiting Handbook and Recruiting Process Manual, in it are listed the various requirements for entry with the appropriate references.  If people in CFRC's aren't staying abreast of any changes that is a short coming on that individual and their CofC. 

Back