• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

gk404

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I‘ve been thinking about it.....but I‘m not quite sure.  I just had my 31st birthday and I‘m thinking of joining the Amy Reserves.  Am I too old or what?  I‘m in pretty good shape, so passing the PT test wont be an issue, but I just don‘t know if my age will be a problem.What do you guys think?  :confused:

I‘ve seen a woman of around 43/45ish join the reserves and in the maple leaf a while back a man of 50 joined (russian immigrant).
Theres a good chance too you‘d also get very subtle special treatment now and then because your older thenthe average recruit.

I did my basic with a man of 34, the average age in our platoon was 17. I know but a few gentlemen of your age who have join and most of which have the liability of a family, consequently they did not finish there BIQ and only attened the first 3 weeks of our 8 week course.

You are definantly not too old. I would say, if your not a homesick individual and cope with the slings and arrows of often immature teenagers :rolleyes: then go for it man, it‘ll make ya feel like your 17 again! :skull:

You are definitely not too old at all. In the news sometime ago there was coverage of a recruit who had recently immigrated from Russia. This gentleman was 50 yrs old and was on course with people old enough to be his children. Age is not a factor. Just get yourself in decent physical shape and you should have no problem at all. Good luck!

-the patriot- :cdn:

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. I think I‘ll go for it! :warstory:

I was 25 when I joined the PRes (reserve) and was one of the older people on my Basic course. If anything given that you are in decent shape your age and experience will benefit you.

gk404 - I am a 28-year-old full time worker, and there are at least 2 others in my platoon (all infantry folks) who are older than me, currently on my basic course. The other platoon, which is all armour/eng/arty people, has at least a handful of older lads.

So far, no one is finding it too much of a problem, except, of course, for the PT. It‘s not that the PT is necessarily that hard, but at least one of th eolder guys in my platoon has stated aloud he knows he needs to work out more on his own time to meet the standard.

Me, I am just happy if I can keep up on a run, and I usually can.. My weakness is pushups, and so I try to do those on my own time when possible.

Again, the average age is 17-19, with a few early 20s mixed in, but not many.

What is MOST gratifying is to see people much younger than yourself falling by the way side, holding their sides and wheezing, after only a minimal warm up run.

Older guys usually know the "lessons of life" such as: Don‘t try and impress everyone by running fastest/hardest early on -- take your time and pace yourself.

Thanks for the advice portcullisguy, How long is BMQ when you do it on weekends anyway? And how does it work? Do you show up on Friday night or Saturday morning? Where is it? :warstory:

BMQ should add up to about 20 training days, I think. (4 weeks if done straight)

On weekend BMQ, you show up friday night and leave sunday afternoon.
It should probably be every two weekends that there is training, and possible training on your regiments weekly training night and it should probably at your local armoury.

It will also vary depending on your unit. Some may do things differently, but most units should be starting their weekend BMQ courses soon...

Yes, BMQ should add up to about 20 days. Our course is running about 12 full weekends, with a one-day weekend for SHARP.

Topics covered primarily include:
- CF introduction (what it is, what we do)
- Rank structure
- Who to salute, what to call everyone
- Personal hygiene
- Drill
- C7 safety, etc
- C7 personal weapons test 1
- First aid CPR
- NBCD intro
- Gas hut
- Map & compass intro
- Nav exercise
- Field ex weekend
- Sexual Harassment and Racism Prevention (SHARP)
- Grad weekend

They cram a lot of stuff into it. Weekends are supposed to be 2 weeks apart, but because of holidays, etc., there were lots where it was back-to-back, and sometimes when we had 3 weeks off.

Here in 32 brigade, our BMQ has been at Fort York Armoury. Another BMQ starts up this month, have no idea where they will train.

Nope. I had a 40 year old woman on my course. And she was 5‘1" like 90lbs(well thats an exageration) and she made it through. So ANYONE can

GoodLuck

Andrew :bullet: :cdn: :bullet:

Thanks. All these "young whipper snappers" on this forum had me second guessing a bit.

Bah!

I joined the militia at 34 in 1993, and completed my infantry qualification as a private. I decided last year to return for my commission, 9 years after I left. I work in the fitness business, and know at 34 I am twice as fit as i was when I did basic, and i found the physical training fine.

I think we are healthier for longer now, so Getting in in your late 20‘s and thirties can still give you a good military career. My good friend joined the reg force artillery at 28, as has been there for 8 years now.

I meant to say i joined originally at 24 and now I am 34.

One more question. I am currently stationed in Nunavut(govt reconaissance) and have found no info on the website where I can join from the territories. I am from Regina and claim it as my home, but am a **** of a way from there.

I am in the process of joining and I am 38 ! I know that it will be harder physically but I think that I am prepared (certainly mentally) for what will be a tough basic.

What is the age limit for joining the Reserves?

Is there any other information that is important to know if someone wanted to join the Reserves?

dont know, one of the new members of my unit looks like he‘s in his 40‘s, he served in the Rsv‘s in the Seaforth for awhile in the ‘80s so that might have helped him get in, I‘m really not sure on the age limit, I would assume under 50 an in good physical an medical shape, you should contact your local CFRC for info

If someone was not in good physical shape, could they still join the Reserves?

What I am thinking is that by joining the Reserves,
someone could get in physical shape if they are not already.

Back