• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

I think the key word was how old when joining....but i remember that it used to be like 52 but that may have changed.  If you look on the recruiting website it'll tell you the age range.

According to the recruiting package I picked up in January, requirements for joining the reserves are:

- you must be between 16 years of age and 52 years of age
- you must have at least 33 Alberta high school credits (equivalent to grade 10)
- you must be a Canadian citizen
- you must be 6 months free of any legal obligations

I'm pretty sure they won't be too strict on the Alberta high school credits thing for those of you that had the misfortune (or is it fortune?) of attending school elsewhere.  ;D

Hi guys how you doing...I have a question and some input would be greatly appreciated. Im 25 years old and Im applying for the reserves. I want to go to University for a diploma that will take 4 years to complete. God willing I should be 29-30 when I get out and which point I decided to take serious consideration in going full time. Ofcourse, life likes to throw you the odd knucle ball so I gave myself and extra year in case I dont get in the first time. If I find that Im continuously applying and getting rejected I will reconsider my options but for me it seems like a good root right now. So how old is too old....I know I could have just asked...but wanted to feed you some background. Thanks!! Cheers. :cdn:

By doing a search on this site you will find basic giudelines for fitness (especially in the recruiting forum). As long as you are able to meet if not exceed these guidelines and demonstrate that you have or are willing to improve yourself accademically and physically you will face no problems either transferring from reserves or applying through the regular process. As you may see there are those into their fourties that are currently training for the CF so as long as you dont see your age as an obstacle, neither will anyone else.Good Luck.

some days 34 is WAAAY too old.
Then I look at my Sar'nt-Major, leading the way at 50-something, and suck it up. SHELLDRAKE!! said it best. ('Cept he didn't cuss. Deducting points for that.)

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
By doing a search on this site you will find basic giudelines for fitness (especially in the recruiting forum). As long as you are able to meet if not exceed these guidelines and demonstrate that you have or are willing to improve yourself accademically and physically you will face no problems either transferring from reserves or applying through the regular process. As you may see there are those into their fourties that are currently training for the CF so as long as you dont see your age as an obstacle, neither will anyone else.Good Luck.

Thanks Shelldrake...and yea if I find that I cant get into my educational choice by the 2nd try in Univeristy Im going to seriously consider full time CF and hope for the best. For now Im concentrating on reserve entry and my portfolio. Cheers guys!!! :cdn:

Your age is not a factor. Run, then run some more. then, when you think you can't run any more...run some more...Brain in neutral, body in drive

I agree . You are not that old. Stay in shape, don't forget to train your brain to work hard and you will be fine. 30 is young!

Once again guys thanks...I don't know if you truly realize how much your helping a civilian attempting to join your ranks, I appreciate it. Ive always been able to hold my head up high and when told no, Ive proven them by telling them yes and doing it. I agree I'm a late bloomer in this department at 25 years old but in my life maturity was a factor as well as life experience which I have plenty off now. I cant rewind the clock as much as we all wish we could....so I'm making a move now.
1) Pros- Ive never been physically hurt yet from injury either sustained in sports or life, I have a big heart when it comes to people and wanna make a contribution in representing my country as much as I can, Ive worked enough since I was 16 to know I hate cubicles (nothing wrong with them...just not for me) and love rolling around in the mud...eat supper and roll in the mud somemore (all figures of speech if you know what I mean) and if you asked any of my close friends they would tell you that I would take a baseball bat to the head for any of em. Once again a figure of speech stating what would probably be serious comradory on my part and the fact Id probably get lit up like a Christmas tree trying to save a fallen soldier. (Of course I wouldn't wish such circumstances on anybody). I'm also a bachelor and as much as I love women, chasing them around and making a move like this isn't a wise decision right now I hear and I'm in no rush.
2) Cons- anybody here that has pissed out a kidney stone can attest to how painful that is (like razor blades through a urinary tract) twice that has occurred to me to the point where I can tell the signs. Liquid diet=water and beer...oh and cranberry juice for all that need help of fighting it lol (not bad).Finally, the most mysterious of all physical elements and one that I'm sure not all of you experienced but some do....is the high metabolism rate that has plagued me all my life. I eat 4 to 5 meals a day or try to at least (its difficult at times...I ain't the greatest cook) but I'm slowly gaining...anyways sorry for the story Ill make this quick....as much as it pains me I'm sitting of my application a little till I'm satisfied with myself in that I can do very well in my test. My problem is not so much cardio as it is weight lifting...I plan to change that soon. 6 feet at 140 lbs. I also stayed away from Inline hockey for this summer so I can gain some weight and Im a %$&?%$# goalie lol. Oh well guys its in the genes...so I do with what I can and continue working hard. Long story worth reading. Cheers!!! :cdn:

Hi everyone.

I was in the reserves when I was 17 years old. I am 38 years old now. Am I to old to consider joining again? Also I spoke with a man that was in the reserves in Holland. He said that they could call on
him until the age of 60. My understanding was that they could only call on me up to five years after I left the reserves. Am I right?

I was in the reserves in St Thomas Ontario. Sense it was so long ago I don't remember the name of the unit. I may have been 18 years old.
I don't know if I would still be on record or not? When I joined I was issued the FNC1 and latter I got the SMG.

My grandfather was a commando in WW2. I have no idea if our government would still have a record on him or not.

Anyway I was thinking about signing up again. I wonder why Prince George doesn't have the reserves though?

I am 34 years of age and I've applied to reenter the Reserves with the same regiment I was in before. Start the application process now. In addition to the normal application procedure, you will have to wait for a Verification of Former Service. I understand that some people on this board have waited up to 6 months for their VFS. I applied in April and haven't heard anything about my VFS yet.

I was in the reserves in St Thomas Ontario. Sense it was so long ago I don't remember the name of the unit. I may have been 18 years old.
I don't know if I would still be on record or not? When I joined I was issued the FNC1 and latter I got the SMG.

My grandfather was a commando in WW2. I have no idea if our government would still have a record on him or not.

Anyway I was thinking about signing up again. I wonder why Prince George doesn't have the reserves though?

It was probably the Elgin Regiment - then an Armour Recce unit - today an Engineer unit. If you were in back in the late 70s or early 80s they would still likely have a record of your service.

cheers, mdh

Thanks everyone for your replies. The Elgin Regiment would be the right one.
I am thinking of different possibilities. Today I am going to see about working in corrections.
In case anyone is interested I spoke with an RCMP officer and asked about me joining.
I said that I am 38 and a smoker and I had one impaired back in 1986.
He said that I would need a pardon for my impaired. He said that he is a smoker.
The RCMP officer said that I would have to get my GED.
The RCMP officer said that a 52 year old man went threw training and
did better then many of the younger people. 

Sixteen years old with your parent's permission to join the Reserves in 1971.

Tom

I am 35 turning 36 and did BMQ on weekends and SQ and BIQ last summer. I just finished my DP2A on weekends. No probs. Go for it.

I've been looking through the recruiting info on forces.gc.ca and also on this website but I havent been able to find anything on wether I can start any part of the application process before I'm 16.
Would anyone here know? I mean anything at all, I dont turn 16 until early May but I want to do BMQ this summer, should I even phone the recruiting office now or will they just tell me to call back when im old enough?

Even if you applied now I doubt you would make it onto a summer BMQ. Anyways AFAIK you can not start the process untill you are of age, but you can pick up the application, fill it out, etc an turn it in when you are of age.

I can also say that I heard the same thing as MikeL.  The application process is kind of lengthy so you are free to start it anytime, but you cannot submit it before you are 16.  But you can surely go in there and talk and get more info as well.

Back