• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

Minimum requirements for joining the Reserves are:

a. Be a minimum of 16 years old (with parental consent)
b. Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
c. Have a minimum of five Grade 10 credits
d. Be free from legal obligation (cannot be on probation, parole or have pending court dates)

So, you can join in your 16th year IF you have the Grade 10 credits.

Mike

hello everyone! I am 27 years old, and have just started the application process for joining. Originally I whas interested in joining the infantry. However, after reading several articles and a few books, I am starting to become concerned that I may be to old to join infantry, or at least to have a valuable carreer in this field. Can any of you tell me what is the average age? do you think that 27 might be a little to old to be starting infantry? Any comments and, or, feed back that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gee, I hope not. Otherwise I have only two weeks left to be of any use. :D

I obviously don‘t think 27 is too old and neither did the P.O. that did my interview. Why? Are you feeling old?

Funny thing is that for most of my life I was told I was too young to do the things I did. It‘s crazy how fast that changed. ;)

Just keep this in mind: you will be competing with other 17/18 year olds fresh out of school. Battleschool is going to **** for even the most fit - and it‘s that way for a reason.

Otherwise, most of it is mental.

Hey Ruthless,

I hope you aren‘t under the impression that 17/18 year olds are somehow more fit than us "old guys". If there is one thing that I learned in my 12 years of racing bikes, it‘s that endurance only comes with time. Most 17 year olds are pretty good for a hard days work, but come the next day they‘re pretty much cooked. Keep in mind that all the food and rest that I get goes to repairing my muscles from the day‘s exercise, not to building new ones, increasing bone density/size, and producing an amazing amount of hormones.

Now I know that battleschool isin‘t going to be easy, but trust me when I say it‘ll be easier for me now then it would have been at 17. Now if I‘d sat at a desk for the last ten years ...well, that would be a different story.

No, I am definately not feeling old. I am just concerned that maybe they are looking for people who are 17/18. My big concern is how much of a carreer(time wise) would the cf think that i would be of any value to them for?

Hehehe. You guys. Everyone has an opinion.

The age thing isn‘t relevant. The CF is looking for people who are fit based on their criteria but they are looking for people with all types of education and experience. No offense to 17/18 year olds, but people right out of HS do not necessarily have higher education or experience.
The CF is looking for doctors, pharmacists, technicians, skilled trades, people who have worked in the civilian area for awhile and acquired experience and education that can be applied to the Forces. A 35 year old technician with 10 years of prior experience is much more useful than a 18 year old entering that MOC in the CF.

Physical fitness, maturity, and the drive to succeed is important but those qualities can be found in anyone of the right calibre, granted the average physique of an 18 year old is more resilient than a 35 year old.

For the combat arms, physical fitness is important as well as a host of other things that develop over time. Being able to run 6 kms better than anyone doesn‘t necessarily make you a good soldier. Keep that in mind.

Hello everyone:

I am going to school for a two-year program in September and then I hope to work for two years using the training I have received in my Community College program.

I am considering re-applying to the CF at that time. I will be 41 years old, however.

Do you know of someone over 40 years old who has been accepted into the Reg force or Reserves?

Bert, thanks for the encouraging words for an older guy like me! :D

Well if going to be 41, you should join the Res. it would be a better fit. Are you going to ready to move where they tell you to move. Sell you house if you have one. 41 is still young, but it is old for CF. What are going to be taking at college? it might better to learn it the CF instead of waiting those 4 years. that‘s long time.

I know a woman who graduated her basic on June 19th, she‘s 47.

You must be sixteen years of age to join the reserves (I think it‘s 17 for the reg force), have a minimum of 6 credits of school at a grade 10 level, be a Canadian citizen (you can be a landed immigrant, but this will extend the application process by as long a two years - its‘ quicker to get your citizenship first) and be free of any obligation to the courts (ie, not be on probation or parol). If you are under 18, you will need signed parental consent.

I signed up two months before my 16th birthday. They will hold your application untill you turn 16.

Hey all,

I'm 28 and currently hating his government desk jockey employment. To be honest, I got in this field for all the reasons (career was popular at the time, money, etc).  I now find myself unmotivated, bored, unfulfilled and see no pleasure in sight.

Anyways, i've always been a military buff. I have 3 friends in it at the moment and am always jealous of their work. It's not like i'm into this possible decision, i've been thinking about it for years and talked to recruiters, etc. Also am in great shape, I do triathlons once in while, mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, cycling, walk 10km back and forth to work every day, etc.

My question is to all the past recruits that were a bit older when they started out (27-30), would you do the same thing? Regret your decision? Happier etc?

Any advice you can give an older guy would be greatly considered.

Thanks guys!  :salute:

Go for it.  Any age difference (which in your case is not much) will be offset by maturity.  As well, there is a reason the US Army Physical Fitness Test demands the highest amount for pass from Males aged 26-29.

What do you got to lose besides a government, desk jockey job?

My advice is to sign up for the reserves first to see whether you'll like it.  I'm 30 and I'm at the tail end of the dreaded recruitment process.  The Reserves is a voluntary army and you can pretty much leave anytime you like. You don't have to go anywhere that you don't want to either.  As a bonus, if you are already working for the federal gooferment, you should be able to apply for Military leave where your job and vacation leaves will not be affected when you are on Reserves training. The way I see it is that you are only young once and you probably have 25-30 more years of sitting in front on a desk, so why not do something different for a little while?

Most mature recruits that I have seen tend to excell more then a teenager fresh from high school. You tend to have been around the block and might be able to offer some valuable life experience that the younger ones tend to lack. I say go for it.

when i did basic, about 15 of the 60 in my platoon were around thirty or older, the oldest was 51, honest

dont worry about it, you're better off for being experienced

Hey Marc,

Your situation sounds pretty familliar. I'm 27 (28 this month) and I quit my 8 year accounting job to join the infantry. Quite a big change.

The biggest concern that I had was the physical aspect of the training. Like yourself I was fairly active (road & mountain bike racer) and found that once the training began I had no problems keeping up with the really fit 18 and 19 year old kids. The rest of the training varied from really easy to pretty damn hard but it was no worse than working through a weekend trying to meet some imposible deadline. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Now that I'm in the battalion things have just gotten better. No more trying to find time to go to the gym or stay in shape, we do PT every morning and a couple of afternoons every week, and if we're not training and I ask nice I can usually go to the gym more. The hard part for right now is living in single quarters with a bunch of kids, it feels a little too much like a frat house. But I should be moving into a PMQ pretty soon, so it's really not that bad.

If you have and specific questions IM me and I'm sure I can give you some answers. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back