• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

vroom, I think you will be pleasantly suprised at what it actually costs to stay and eat while at CFSACO. Moreover, you will not find any better facilities at any training establishment... bar none.

Good luck.

Vroom :

I've been an AC Op since 2007 and spent nearly a total of 7 months at CFSACO and have never payed a single cent for my time there.  It is TD time and incidentals are covered.  Enjoy the course!  QL3 is a blast!

Cheers,
Js

InsertCoins said:
Vroom :

I've been an AC Op since 2007 and spent nearly a total of 7 months at CFSACO and have never payed a single cent for my time there.  It is TD time and incidentals are covered.  Enjoy the course!  QL3 is a blast!

Cheers,
Js

Thanks! Though now I'm really confused lol.  Did you just fit req's for having the fees waived, or are you single like me and don't own or lease? Did you pay for R&Q at BMQ?

That would be really juicy if the stay at CFASCO was covered. The bank account would love it!

And I'm very much looking forward to the course.

vroom, I guess the surprise is not going to be a surprise. Stop being confused and take the info that has been given to you, by an actual QL3 student, as fact. 

Aerospaced_out : Sorry if I ruined it for you!  I just thought it was best he didn't stress over it.

Vroom : I am married, but I wasn't when I was on my 3's, I was just in the process of getting my common-law sorted out.  The cost of living at CFSACO is not taken out of your own pocket, it is absorbed by the unit (Wherever you were attach posted from) and the cost is not taken by the member.  The only thing you will need to pay for is Mess Dues.  Even those are refunded to you upon returning to your unit.

Enjoy the free food and gym, and study like hell!

Cheers,
Js

What happens at CFSACO stays at CFSACO :)

Yes, study... while CFSACO may be the finest training facility in the CF it is also one of the toughest.

Thanks for the nice surprise  :nod:

I've gone through AIRMICH's posts and the course definitely sounds challenging. Failure is not an option however, and I'm going to pass it.

I'm filling out my Security Clearance form, and my file manager doesn't know what level it is for. Level 3 has to fill out more than the others.

Is AC OP level 1,2, or 3?

VROOM AC OP is LvL2 Secret.

Also incase you get confused again, i just finished CFSACO in May 2010 and everything is free. Except Mess Dues but get those refunded when you get back to your unit. QL3 is pretty easy and only a few days were stressful but overall a great time.

Date is fast approaching! Thanks for all the info everyone. It's been a big help.

Hey guys, im leaving for course on sept. 7th. Im wondering if anyone who recently completed the course can give me a brief week by week rundown of what to expect on course.

It is a challenging course, but you get out of it what you put in to it.  The best advice is to work as a team.  Even if you find that you don't need extra study time or the simulator portions for you come easy, it will still benefit you to have a study session before a test or to help out a classmate in the sims.

I barely cracked a book, but you need to stay alert in class and participate in activities.  If you have a question, ask it at the time or write it down for later.  Yes, you will have most of your nights and weekends free, but don't go all out on partying.  There is alot of stuff to memorize and remember and you need to keep your wits about you.

Good luck!

Now that you're there, maybe you can give a bit of a rundown yourself?  Not all courses are the same though, as some start with the ATC side while others start with the AD side.  And honestly, knowing a rundown ahead of time really doesn't get you anywhere.  Except for the pre-course study package, there isn't a need to read anything else ahead of time.

Expect some nights of study time and time in the sims when you hit those phases.  You will have room inspections.  There is scheduled PT throughout the course as well.  Use your time wisely and you will do fine.

Right after your 3's course, your choice (rather your preference since the choice is out of your hands) for your first posting east of Ontario would be:  Bagotville or Greenwood.  As mentioned, there aren't positions in Gander or GooseBay.  As for Shearwater, that is typically a posting for Cpl and above.

Wilshire Blvd. said:
Out of curiosity, are there AC Ops in Kingston or Borden?

Kingston: No.  Borden: Yes, but once again it is Cpl and above.

TimBit said:
Well to my knowledge there are no longer any AC Ops or AEC in Goose Bay or Gander. The other thing to remember is that a LARGE chunk of Ac Op start, I believe, their career in CADS as IDT or TT, and therefore go to North Bay. Those who are MOSID 170 (as opposed to 169) go direct to aerodromes, in which case Bagot, Greenwood or Shearwater are all good choice.

Cheers!

I appreciate the fact that you trying to help people out.  Having an opinion is one thing, but if you are providing facts, you should be more sure with the information on it then you have been.

170 is all AC Ops, 169 is a PAR Controller, a sub-branch or specialty of the AC Op trade.  Your comment that 170 go direct to aerodromes is incorrect.  When you complete your 3's course, you will be posted to an Airbase (Comox, Moose Jaw, Trenton, Cold Lake, Bagotville, Greenwood) or to North Bay.  There is no set numbers as to how many go where as there have been some courses where everyone goes to North Bay.

If you go to North Bay, you do not start out as IDT (Identification Technician).  That is another qualification that be obtained after your initial training and time as a TT (tracking technician aka surveillance tech).

I just was accepted as an AC OP recruit school bypass, I am going to be stationed at CFB Trenton as of Nov 1, I was just wondering if that where the Cornwall PAT is located.

Mathrin said:
I just was accepted as an AC OP recruit school bypass, I am going to be stationed at CFB Trenton as of Nov 1, I was just wondering if that where the Cornwall PAT is located.

Prior to your QL3 course in Cornwall, you will be attach posted to a unit that employs AC Ops.  Here you will start pre-course training.  Typically, this unit is close to where you currently reside.  There is also no guarantee that you will be posted to that same unit upon completion of your QL3 course.

Just to clarify... the occupation is Aerospace Control Operator. 

There are two sub divisions (actually sub occupations) within that occupation:
00337.1. N.01 Aerospace Control Operator – Aerospace Operator [AC Op – Aero Op]
00337.1. N.02 Aerospace Control Operator – Radar Controller [AC Op – Rdr Cont]

Using the old Military Occupation Codes (MOC) Aerospace Operators were MOC 169
Radar Controllers were MOC 170
Military Occupation Structure Identification Description (MOSID) replaced Military Occupation Codes (MOC) within the Human Resource Management System, the CF Pay System, and the CF Occupational Specifications.
Today we use the MOSID numbers you see above albeit shortened to 337.1 for Aero Op and 337.2 for Rdr Cont
You must become a 337.1 before becoming a 337.2. It is technically an occupational transfer from one to the other.

Back