• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Does anyody here wield a mean vacuum??

I'm hiring. Hate vacuuming; male, female --- no matter.

Molly Maid is all booked up. Dammit.  :mad:

Well, he's 77 and I doubt he'll change his opinion anytime soon, Eye. "Old School" thinking. He also bet me $100 that I will quit basic because I'll find it too hard, stressful, whatever. You can believe I took that bet.

Something to think about when you're 9 K into the 10K run.  Now you *can't* quit.

You can run a lot on being ticked off, I'd wager.

Gunnar said:
Something to think about when you're 9 K into the 10K run.  Now you *can't* quit.

You can run a lot on being ticked off, I'd wager.

Exactly, Gunnar. It's just more fuel for the fire, which is never a bad thing when we are talking about motivation. ;)

OK, I'm dusting off this thread, just as I am dusting off my sneakers...  ;)  Ok, so I usually work out in spurts and I just last week got a fitness routine from a trainer at the gym.  I've got about two months to get whipped into shape (i've been told this is plenty of time...which I certainly HOPE so!)  I'm 28, single mom, and am prepared to work hard to attain my desired fitness level!  My trainer has me doing a full body weight routine (takes about 30-40 mins 3 times per week) then interval running 2-3 times per week.  The intervals consist of 4 rounds of 4:00 minutes of Low-Moderate running followed by 0:40 seconds of sprinting.  The L-M running will decrease by 0:15 seconds each week and eventually you will add in another round when you get down to 3:00 L-M running.  ANYWAYS, I am really hoping this will be enough.  I am still trying pushups every day as well and working on situps too.  I am worried because this doesn't feel like a lot of running, however, he's also told me not to overdo it.  I am also running the occasional 2-4 km on top of the weights and intervals most days (if not everyday then every second day).  Any suggestions from anyone who can tell me if they think this will be enough??

Thanks for breathing life back into this thread, ada! :)

I would say that your trainer knows more about this stuff than most of us non-trainers, but it definitely sounds like a good workout regimen. How are the push-ups and sit-ups going? I got a little adventurous yesterday and did 120 sit-ups (4 sets of 30) and then 42 push-ups (7, 10, 14, 10...and one, lol). I was trying to do another 7 on the last set but after one push-up, I had a muscle spasm in my lower right arm. Down on my face I went.  :p  Today, I am somewhat regretting doing so much because I am extremely sore. However, it's probably good that I push myself a bit more as I get closer to the start of BMOQ. I went for a run today and was thinking "I fly out in 39 days, OMG...".  :eek: Time to get our butts in gear! ;)

So what day shall we do our mock shuttle run?  ;D

Well I'd say anyday is fine with me!!  I am soooo sore today.  i did like 2 pushups today and just about died.  :-[  i'm going to the group Centergy, however you spell it, class tomorrow (its like a mixture of Yoga and Pilates).  I've always found that if I'm sore, that class heals you up in a hurry!

Yes, I suppose the stretching would be good to heal sore muscles! I am going to check out a new fitness centre tomorrow. I need to do more strength training over the next 5 weeks or so. I'm glad in a way that I am sore right now because it means my muscles are building up and getting stronger. ;)

What about Tuesday for the mock shuttle?

Oh ya, that'll be good to give you a boost!!!  Pump you up!  lol  Tuesday's good!

I tried the new fitness place today. I wasn't too fussy about the whole 'circuit' thing (new machine/activity every 30 seconds), but as long as I can do my own thing when I'm there, the price and flexibility work for me. Plus, today was free.  ;D  The woman working there also measured my body fat percentage - 23.7%  Is that good? That seems high to me, so I'll have to look up some info on body fat % online. The bonus was that she thought I was 20! Either her eyes are really bad or that was a huge compliment!  :D

Ada, I'll send you a message Monday night when I get in to Fredtown so we can figure out a time. My schedule is completely open, so if you are working or have something else on the go, we can work around your schedule. :)

kawigirl said:
Hi There,
Guys included. I was just reading some of the topics rearding running, pushups and situps and I find that they are very geared to men. (50-60 pushups at a time) I don't know to many if any girls that can do that. So I thought that I would start this area to chat. And there is alot of mature women and men just entering the forces. Like me, 35 years old, mom, wife and starting a new career after 16 years. I can almost run 3km, non stop at an OK pace, do 31 situp in 1 minute and just barely do 10 pushups. But I am making an effort to go to the gym 3 times a week and trying to run outside instead of on the treadmill. I start my BMQ in June. Very excited, very nervous and I know that I will be the weaker link at PT(running), but I may be really great at other things. I know that I had one of the best pairs of boots in cadets. And the two people that were better tan me, well they used some fancy paint type polish that is like a mirror, but watch out when it rained...hahaha!! So lets talk girl talk or mature men talk...I love and support the CF as my husband is also part of the CF. And if any of this offends anyone it is NOT suppose to. I would just like to know and talk about more realistic PT problems and solutions than the people that can do the 50 pushups, 60 sit-ups and run 20 km no problem.....Cheers, Kawigirl
I hear ya! I'm in great shape for my size; I can run 6k no problem, push ups and sit ups are easy but the one thing that truly ERKS me is fireman's carries. I'm reserve infantry and last summer on my dp1 they expected me to fireman carry a guy who was well over 150 pounds when I'm 115! DUH I can't run with that! For assault boats I was expected to lift my 230 pound instructor onto the boat, which I could do with assistance but not on my own so in turn I got marked a 2 for physical fitness for that week when I've always been exempt from my express tests and everything.. go figure.

the problem with women and pushups is the difference in centre of gravity than men.  My push ups are slowly improving - very slowly.  but they're getting there.

I have been practicing the fireman's carry with my 12 year old who weighs about the same as I do.  Not a big deal.  Not sure I could fling a 150 pound person over my shoulder though.

Celticgirl, what fitness centre did you go to? From the description (30 second circuit training) it sounds like Curves and, if it is, I was wondering what you think of it. There's one in my small town but I've never gone before.

Braver Stronger Smarter said:
Celticgirl, what fitness centre did you go to? From the description (30 second circuit training) it sounds like Curves and, if it is, I was wondering what you think of it. There's one in my small town but I've never gone before.

I think it used to be a Curves, but it's under new management, and is now called Fitness Connection. I don't find the 30-second circuit training does anything for me, actually.  :-\ I tried it - did three full rounds of it in a row the other day - and found it just wasn't enough of a workout for me. So I will try to pick times to go there when it's pretty empty so that I can use the equipment I want for longer periods. In these remaining weeks, I mainly want to get my arms a bit stronger. I can do 15 consecutive push-ups now, but want to do 20 before I get to the Mega. For cardio, I still run 3 times a week, so I think I'll be okay with that. Ada and I are going to do a mock shuttle this morning, so that will hopefully give me some idea of where I am with my VO2 max.

Lil_T said:
the problem with women and pushups is the difference in centre of gravity than men.  My push ups are slowly improving - very slowly.  but they're getting there.

I have never heard this before. How can our "centre of gravity" be different?  :p

women's centre of gravity is in their pelvis, while men's centre of gravity in in their chest.  having a centre of gravity that is closer to the pivot point (ie your toes) makes the push up more difficult because it places 90% of your body weight on your arms on the way back up which is a big change from the 45-50% that is placed on your arms in the up position.  Whereas for men, because their centre of gravity is higher and thus further from the pivot point the push up is easier because there isn't as big a weight change on their arms.  Not saying that pushups are impossible for women just that it's more difficult. 

A woman's body structure is such that they have a lower center of gravity, because of their wider hips and heavier bond structure in the lower abdominal part of the skeleton, as compared to men's structure. Men in general have wider shoulders as compared to women.

This lower center of gravity is the main cause for women to be able to bend forward in the kneeling position without falling over forward. When men try to bend over, they will fall forward because of the location of their center of gravity. When this center of gravity passes beyond the knees, their bodies will topple forward.

*I tried this on my bathroom scale (which is where I'm getting my numbers from)

Lil_T said:
women's centre of gravity is in their pelvis, while men's centre of gravity in in their chest. 

OK, I see what you are saying. I guess we females just need to build up our upper bodies more (via weight training). I have recently started working out at the gym again and already find it is making a difference in my upper body strength.

We did try the mock shuttle today, but got cut short by an aerobics class coming in. We were at level 5 when they came in and were prepared to keep going, so I think we're doing okay (huh Ada?  :D). Tomorrow, we'll try it again, hopefully without interruptions. My fiance showed us how to pivot properly before we did it, so a few more practice runs and we should be good to go.  8)  :blotto:

Lil_T said:
Whereas for men, because their centre of gravity is higher and thus further from the pivot point the push up is easier because there isn't as big a weight change on their arms.  Not saying that pushups are impossible for women just that it's more difficult. 
Right in everything else except this.
Yes, it is exactly a lever thing but your assertion is wrong. Think of it as a wheelbarrow, the closer the weight is to the wheel the easier it is to lift the handles and carry the load - if you load up closer to the handles, it becomes heavier. Therefore, if you have your centre of gravity near where you are putting your effort (the arms), you have to lift more weight; the closer it is to the pivot point (the wheel, your toes), the less weight you have to lift.
I am an engineer so it is easy to see but if you don't want to take my word for it try it: use a long stick (broom handle, 2x4, etc.), put one end on the ground and tie a weight near to the other end; lift it; now try moving it closer to the pivot point...
So the difference is purely physiology. Men are built with more muscle/capacity in their chest and shoulders which more than compensates for the lack of lever effect. Also, having the centre of gravity near their hips, women have to put more strain (pressure) on their backs while doing a push-up. All that to say that yes, it is more difficult for women to do push-ups (but not from the lever effect).

hope that clarifies things.

As for suggestions on how to improve. I agree with all the ones given previously. But I would add that don't limit your push-ups to the gym. Do some when you get up in the morning; do some when you get in from work; do more when you get bored (at work, etc.) and do them a bit differently every now an then (wide stance, close, fingers in, etc.)

cheers,
Frank

Forgot to add:

Good luck to all of you - we need more personnel like you.

cheers,
Frank

Celticgirl said:
OK, I see what you are saying. I guess we females just need to build up our upper bodies more (via weight training). I have recently started working out at the gym again and already find it is making a difference in my upper body strength.

We did try the mock shuttle today, but got cut short by an aerobics class coming in. We were at level 5 when they came in and were prepared to keep going, so I think we're doing okay (huh Ada?  :D). Tomorrow, we'll try it again, hopefully without interruptions. My fiance showed us how to pivot properly before we did it, so a few more practice runs and we should be good to go.  8)  :blotto:

Hahaha, yes, those darn step classes ;)  We did awesome!!  AND, guess what???  I did some for my bf last night and I got UP off the floor (not the whole way mind you but even just a little bit more than yesterday morning!!!)  So I guess I will see progress right??? He didn't believe me, he still said I COULD do it, I was just giving up.  Sheesh!

Hey Ladies,

I have just started working up to the basic requirements for physical testing. Hoping that I am not a long way off, but it seems like it right now. I can do 12 sit ups - 0 real push ups (3 on the knees) - haven't attempted chin-ups as I figure if I can't do a real push-up I most likely cannot do a chin-up. I tried a 1.5  mile run (which I believe is about 2.4 kms) which took me almost 20 mins. So as you can tell I have a lot of work to do before I even meet the minimum.

Any advice on what I should do to get to that level when basically starting from nothing? Right now I am just running as far as I can and walking the rest. Doing as many sit-ups and push-ups as my body allows and lifting weights to try to get some strength. I do it on a daily basis. Any idea on how long it would take me to get to the minimum? I don't want to put in an application until I know I can meet the minimum standards at least.

Back