• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

First, in asymmetric warfare that is being fought in places like Iraq or Afghanistan, there is no front line. That is a dynamic of noncontiguous warfare. You fight the bad guys where they show up or the intelligence leads.

If you check the stats on causalities the Americans have suffered in Iraq you will note many non-combat arms and women amongest them. Being is support roles does not negate them from the KIA list. Women do not have the opportunity to serve in the American combat arms units.  This is unfortunate for if they were able, I am sure, the Americans would experience the same level of professionalism that many of our women display in those very roles. Our women are "allowed to fight" where ever they are ordered.  :salute:

Just to add to what's already been said, in the Canadian Forces women are allowed to serve with any branch, trade, ship, and in any form of duty, provided they meet the requirements. This includes Special Forces (although I don't think any are serving there yet), Search and Rescue (in which there is one woman... cheers to her), Submarines, all combat arms, pilots, and everything else.

The only exception is that of Catholic Chaplain, but that is an imposition set by the Catholic church.

Now, since the question is answered, and there are about fifty thousand posts on women in the military, I'm locking this one up.

In theory, women are equal to men in the CF. The rules say so, etc. Of course equal opportunity is something that's not usually quite real, let alone in something like the military. I hope it's not TOO much worse than the civilian world. Normally we have to work like 10 times harder than you guys for the same recognition. Maybe in the military it's more like 20-30 times? lol
What can I expect? I've already been warned about horny young guys who will try to do things for me in training to get in my favour, but not much else.

you can expect your Chain of Command to demand exactly the same amount of effort from you as they do any of your peers, regardless of gender, race, religion, or hair colour. You all start at the same starting line. Where you finish is entirely up to you.

Put forth the effort, be recognized as such. Screw up, same thing. After all, bullets and bombs don't care what's between your legs. Why should we?

cuteboots said:
I've already been warned about horny young guys who will try to do things for me to get in my favour.

That in particular is standard throughout the Animal Kingdom.
..and not just the young ones, just us older ones are more sophisticated about it.

As for the rest, Green is Green (or Cadpat)

Quote,
Normally we have to work like 10 times harder than you guys for the same recognition.

Maybe when you mentally put yourself behind this stupid self-imposed 8 ball it probably is.

MOD NOTE:  I'm getting sick of this battle of the sexes that has sprung up lately, there are websites who cater to just that kind of crap, go there and post.

Cuteboots asked me to post a reply of hers in this thread. As it is appropriate I am going to do so. For Cuteboots I say this it takes a very big person to admit to being wrong, especially when you believe that your stance is the right one...It takes a bigger person to admitit in public!

Good for you Cuteboots! :salute:

Cheers

Slim

"If the military does not discriminate, then I am glad. That is what I was trying to find out. Either way, I intend to be the best soldier/sailor/aircrew I can, regardless of any real or perceived discrimination or lack thereof.

I am very inquisitive by nature. This sometimes gets me into trouble, as it seems to have here. I think this was a useful lesson for me in being more careful about how I say things. I'm sorry that my comments came across badly. I will strive to be more careful in the future.

I'd also like to add that I re-read my original post and I realise now that it was inappropriate. I'd like to apologise for being so offensive, and thank you for the opportunity to make amends.

Cuteboots"

I know that every guy who is in the army have to have their head shaved, what I don't understand is why women get special treatment? Virtually all the women get to keep their hair (at least to about shoulder length) while the guys don't get the same privilege, is there something that I've missed or are women getting simply getting treated better and receive such special privileges simply because of their sex?

No, men DO NOT "have to have their head shaved".

See this thread for CF Hair Regulations (males, females, cultural, & colouring)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22553.0.html

Now, do you have a point, or did you just want to bitch about something you haven't prroperly researched.

Do a search on women in combat and what not - this topic has been covered in great detail....

One thing that I would like to see go is the ponytails. I find a bun, or some form of hairstyle that keeps the hair up and off the shoulders looks more professional. On course you always hear that you have to work as a team - you try to be the same in every way - then when you are formed up you see trim collars and then one pony tail sticking out.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, it's a valid concern. Any thoughts?

::)

You know its pretty sad to see Hair becoming an issue - or more accurately being protrayed as an issue.  I've been deployed with women, I've been on course with them - they manage their hair - we shave BFD...

I really dislike trolls, or empty profile folks that toss out inflammatory comments, leads for threads without any solid basis.

Back in the day, we all ran thru with the same hair (no women), these days I don't think they run 1's and 2's on candidates.  However who cares its hair - despite some bizarre blathering to the contrary having short hait does not make you a better soldier (neither does having the NAVSOF hippie look either) - You are the sum of you efforts and abilities.

I got my hair cut at the canex with the men while in Borden. I didn't get a buzz cut, but a short woman's haircut. I can see this thread turning into a flame war. The guys never shaved their heads. Most got just regular short cuts. Guys at my unit have their hair tipped with colour, look very stylish and I've never heard any of them lament how they 'can't wear their hair long'. Women at my unit wear it above the collar or in a bun, relaxed pony tail sometimes (depends on orders of the day?).

When I was in Borden, it was over 40 c on the parade square, so the short hair felt good. I normally wear my hair short anyways, but I know guys at my unit whose hair hits their collar and it's not a problem as far as I know.

Forget it, this isn't going to happen.

locked.

Sahands Sort yourself out and don't post garbage like this agian or you'll go through the warning system PDQ!

Slim
STAFF

Sorry for digging up an old thread but this seemed the appropriate place to ask this question.

Regarding taking birth control pills at basic, do we need to let the instructors know we're taking them or bring some type of doctor’s note or prescription or do I just bring enough to last me through basic and they don't need to be informed?

Also are we allowed to bring Apron type drugs (Advil, Tylenol etc) to keep in our personal boxes?

I did do a search on various related topics but I found conflicting responses.  If anyone who been to basic in basic recently could reply I would be more grateful.

Hi Mirage,
I am currently on my BMQ.  Just 3 weeks to go.  As far as BC goes, bring enough with you.  When you go out to Farnham, don't take the pink (sugar pills) just keep taking the actual BC Pills so that you don't end up with your cycle out there.  The women in our platoon were taken aside and it was suggested for us to do this as it can be quite messy with no showers when you are out in the field.  I have had no problems with bringing my Advil, tylenol, buckleys, neocitrine and all other medications that I have brought.  Mind you none of them are prescriptions so not sure what the procedure would be for that.  You do get sick alot there so be prepared.  I went 5 years without even so much as a cold and in the 8 weeks in St. Jean I have had Bronchitis twice. 
P

Thanks for the info, one less thing for me to worry about before I go.

Infanteer said:
Few and far between....

At this juncture, I would like to make a comment concerning the NavRes, however, it may be construed as harrasment, and as such, I will refrain.

And on the subject of army stories not working on army women, true, but it's been my experience army stories don't generally work on civvie women either, and the joy of females in the army is that most have learned to accept or at least live with all dirty, disgusting, and downright things that come naturally to all males (Even gay men fart and scratch themselves in the morning. It's a fact of life.)

Sigop...
If you think that what men do amongst themselves is disgusting you should see what women do among themselves (when they don't think someone is watching)

bunch of guys go into a strip club. they'll drink their beer, talk amongst themselves, watch the show but relatively well behaved -
bunch of women go into a strip club - these "ladies" are bad, real bad...... (and willing to admit it)

Back