• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for the ANav Test

I know the title to this post is 'anav test' since the last couple of replies referenced the sim thought I'd throw in my experience.  It was soooooo long ago, that I'm not sure if computers were around yet.  In 1978 I went to ASC and was tested for Pilot and ANAV.  I didn't pass ANAV but did Pilot.  The sim at the time was a fiberglass and wood plane(on some kind of pivot) that you had to sit in and control.  I guess I did OK.  Unfortunately I didn't make it all the way through Pilot training in 79 and became an AEC.
Five years ago I was posted to recruiting and since I was going to be administering the tests, I had to take them first.  Well, I scored very high on the Nav test, more than what I would have needed to qualify as a Nav.  What does that mean?  I don't think I am any smarter, but I had no pressure to pass the test because I already had the job.
So my best advice for taking the Nav test is to relax, get lots of sleep the night before and try to imagine that the results don't matter.  Then again, I have probably strayed from the original question haven't I ?
It really sucks getting old.

You're right Gazoo, relaxing during the test is a huge factor in doing well. It definitely tests your patience, concentration and ability to stay cool under pressure. If you're worried about passing the test the whole time rather than focusing on the questions, then there's a good chance you'll do poorly.

Having recently wrote and passed the test (BMOQ in August woot woot!) I can only offer this;

Grade 12 math is a must, I was an excellent student in Math, and had trouble. Not because the questions were hard, simply because I couldn't remeber the formulas. Given more time to think, it would have been easy. The real pressure is the time.

Two more pieces of advice I was given... from recruiting themselves.
A) Learn base 60... ie. adding/subtracting latitude and longitude.
B) Basic flight instruments, learn to read and understand them.

Good luck to all... just don't take my spot on a Sea King! =D

Also, actually doing all the math to get a specific answer isn't very time effective.

Back