• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for the ANav Test

Elwood

Inactive
Reaction score
You might want to have a peek at the book called “The Myth of Ability” by John Mighton. House of Anasi Press Inc, 2003. It’s short… only 208 pages.

I picked it up out of the blue at Chapters, and I would really recommend it to anyone about to write the ANav test who doesn’t feel very confident in their mental math abilities.

The book is really aimed at educators across Canada, but it’s also good for anyone who has struggled in math at school. Even though I passed my first try at the ANav test, I really wish I read this book before ACS so I could’ve done better on the math-side of things.

Anyways, I don't want to look like I'm selling anything, but if you're interested in Math, or in passing the ANav side of ACS, this is a good read.

All,

I have a comment + a question.

Comment: During Aircrew selection at Trenton it seems as though folks who pass both the Air Nav and Pilot are often awarded an Air Nav position vs thier first choice as Pilot.

Question: Would it be good judgement to purposely "fail" the Airnav in hopes that Pilot becomes the only option to you?  My logic is such, if you are a stellar pilot AND pass the AirNav with flying colours that the path of least resistance would be AirNav (from DNDs point of view) and be awarded as such.  However, if you fail the AirNav and pass the pilot test with flying colours then that the only course of action for DND would be to award Pilot.

Does this make any sense?

CPL Jay

jzaidi1 said:
Question: Would it be good judgement to purposely "fail" the Airnav in hopes that Pilot becomes the only option to you? 

I have one word for you:  Unethical.  You figure it out.

Thanks guys,

It's an honest question.  I always strive to do my best at everything.  I just had logic getting mixed up in my head.  I'd be the last person to try something unethical.

Thanks,
CPL Jay

Why did I ask?  It's a thought that popped into my head.  I'd rather straighten myself out here rather than do something stupid during the testing phase should I make it that far.  This forum is by far the best resource on the Armed Forces I have ever seen - and I was in the Forces for 4 years!

CPL Jay

jzaidi1 said:
Why did I ask?  It's a thought that popped into my head.  I'd rather straighten myself out here rather than do something stupid during the testing phase should I make it that far.  This forum is by far the best resource on the Armed Forces I have ever seen - and I was in the Forces for 4 years!

CPL Jay

If all you want is pilot, JUST put pilot on your application. That's what I did, passed for both trades at ASC, but was offered pilot. But I have heard of them offering people who failed for pilot an ANav slot, which is a nice backup, I'd rather be an navigator in the CF than not in the CF.

benny88 said:
  If all you want is pilot, JUST put pilot on your application. That's what I did, passed for both trades at ASC, but was offered pilot. But I have heard of them offering people who failed for pilot an ANav slot, which is a nice backup, I'd rather be an navigator in the CF than not in the CF.

haha sure yah would benny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jzaidi1 said:
All,

I have a comment + a question.

Comment: During Aircrew selection at Trenton it seems as though folks who pass both the Air Nav and Pilot are often awarded an Air Nav position vs thier first choice as Pilot.

Question: Would it be good judgement to purposely "fail" the Airnav in hopes that Pilot becomes the only option to you?  My logic is such, if you are a stellar pilot AND pass the AirNav with flying colours that the path of least resistance would be AirNav (from DNDs point of view) and be awarded as such.  However, if you fail the AirNav and pass the pilot test with flying colours then that the only course of action for DND would be to award Pilot.

Does this make any sense?

CPL Jay

The way I understand it, and the way it was portrayed to be at ACS (bear in mind this was 2003), was that one test had zero bearing on the other.  Plain and simple.  I passed for pilot and failed for Nav.

That being said, I was under zero pressure when I did these tests as I was told I didn't even have to be there and that CFRC Vancouver sent me there in error.  I was the first guy to get accepted under CEOTP and was an Aviation College grad, so there was no requirement for me to go thru the aptitude portion of ACS. 

Note to all, the sim will freeze if you try to loop it.  ;D

With the people I did ACS with, I found it true that if you pass the ANav test and the pilot sim, there's more chance of being offered ANav. One girl passed for pilot and failed the ANav exam, and had no trouble getting an offer for pilot after ACS. The other three applicants who passed ACS passed for both pilot and ANav, but none of our first offers were for pilot.

The point is, if you want pilot, list pilot as your only choice when you apply.

You won't get any brownie points on your chance at a pilot slot if you pass the ANav portion. Plain and simple.

PMed, explain to me how it is unethical if you DONT want to be airnav?

I believe it is unethical to deliberately fail any test, course, etc.  As I highlighted in my original post.

For instance, I wanted out of the Med A trade long before I remustered to PMed Tech.  At the time, the Med A trade was closed to remuster out except to the "feeder" trades;  PMed, X-Ray, Lab, etc.  I went on my Med A QL5 course and somebody mentioned to me that if I failed the course, I would be "administratively" remustered.  Of course, when that happens, you don't normally get a choice (or if you do, it's a small one) of what trade you want to go and there is always the stigma of having the course report that says "Fail" not to mention, being RTU'd to your unit.  That being said, I, personally, was not able to do that sort of thing anyway.  My believe is if that you choose to do something, you do it to the best of your ability.

In the long run, it worked out for me as I thoroughly enjoy the PMed trade and find it is much more suited to my abilities than Med A.

As the others have said, if you don't want to go AirNav, don't put it as one of your choices.

IMHO, failing a test on purpose to get a trade you want, is no different than cheating on a test to get the trade you want.

IMHO. I think you would be dam lucky to get either, and if you happen to get nav (2nd choice) then deal with it
you can always try for pilot later on again.

Hope that didn't sound nasty. anyways...I tried out in Trenton about 14yrs ago with a class of 75.

I have my private license, and consider myself a pretty good pilot. But that sim has nowhere near the same input
reaction of a real aircraft (sim is way more sensitive ti inputs, especially rudder i found).

For the test you have to do 3 cct patterns w/ 3 landings/take-offs.
I did it.  Duno what went wrong.

In the end 1 got pilot, 2 got nav out of 75...whoe

And the one nav was already a captain nav on aurora's...lmao

now just fix em. 

Good luck to all, and be happy if you make it. :)

Wow, 75 people being tested at the same time... that must have taken forever to get them all through the sims!

3 days..we each got 1/2 hr per day ( 2 learning and 1 test)On a 12 hr schedule ( if i remember correctly)  Then we all wrote the nav test.

But...I didn't make the cut. *sigh*

Atleast you got to go =D

I was only qualified for ANAV and wrote the exam at my local CFRC. They then flew me up to DRDC Toronto and I whipped through the medical in about 2 hours =D
Currently merit listed, hopefully I get my offer soon, I know the spots were limited.

GnrJetTech said:
IMHO. I think you would be dam lucky to get either, and if you happen to get nav (2nd choice) then deal with it
you can always try for pilot later on again.

Hope that didn't sound nasty. anyways...I tried out in Trenton about 14yrs ago with a class of 75.

I have my private license, and consider myself a pretty good pilot. But that sim has nowhere near the same input
reaction of a real aircraft (sim is way more sensitive ti inputs, especially rudder i found).

For the test you have to do 3 cct patterns w/ 3 landings/take-offs.
I did it.   Duno what went wrong.

In the end 1 got pilot, 2 got nav out of 75...whoe

And the one nav was already a captain nav on aurora's...lmao

now just fix em. 

Good luck to all, and be happy if you make it. :)

Was the sim 14 years ago the same as today's?  I don't think it is...

Max

Back