• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

@daftandbarmy id say that we hit all the very specific benchmarks laid out in that article. That’s sarcasm. I think those types of articles are a good example of what’s wrong- a continuation of the incessant nattering from the government about bullying over everything else.

Corrections Canada management- bullies. RCMP- bullies. Governor General- bullies. PMOs office yells At people. Commissioner- bullies. CF leadership out of touch bullies.

Every time we re having a talk in this country about improving something it’s got to be done in two years, contain some factor that we have less control over than we think we do and set a hard number on it that we never hit (like “Raise indigenous officers to 5% by summer!”), and it has to
Serve two masters- become more operationally proficient AND satisfy some deep societal need to seem like it’s this harmonious swaying group of “our strength is our differences!”.

then shockingly we never make progress. These “goals” and language are designed for politicians not public servants (drawing a distinction for a moment- even though politicians should be servants). Politicians get away with this shit because they play games with statistics, move the goalposts and blame the other team while resting on lofty ideals, and beyond roads, borders and hospitals their work is imaginary. When our practical public safety agencies do it it’s immediately obvious it didn’t work.

You fix something by changing the successful strategies. If it is successful to yell and scream in your office- you’ll get yellers and screamers. If it is successful to plant rumours in the media about your boss being a bully- it’ll get planted.

If it’s successful to go home sick for years, or on pay for years after being charged or given a service charge people will do it.

If you get to work less by not being a uniformed call taker it’s a race to get out of uniform. Currently- there is a successful strategy- probably the most successsful strategy- in the force is to not do anything when you have to make a decision.

Look in those recommendations about all the stuff on leadership, promotion, who is in control. That all stems From it.

You will go farther presently if you gamble a little and cross your fingers not making the tough calls. Do not innovate. Do not exceed. Do not make a decision. It’ll probably go away. Don’t send the emergency alert- it’s PROBABLY not what’s going on- and if you’re wrong and send it you’ll annoy someone.

There are presently a group of “desired” up and comers in the organization pursuing rank- they actively avoid operational positions because in an operational position you have to make decisions that could cause you a headache by making the wrong call. Seek prestige positions that don’t contain risky decisions. These people will lead the organization- it is a successful strategy.

If you want to change the RCMP you have to reward strategies that create effective operations containing healthy members.

So- if it’s rewarded to not have enough officers or to not ask for more positions, or to turn in money rather than fix vehicles or equipment that’s what you’ll get.

If you hammer NCOs for not addressing issues in their office you might start to change the fabric, hammer them for not making decisions, hammer them for failing to Identify gaps- hammer them for not maintaining discipline. Hammer them for yelling and screaming. Hammer them for sexual harassment in the office. Make those behaviour unsuccessful.

Reward decision and informed risk taking- even where unsuccessful. Rebuke those that avoid “making the call”. Breed leaders concerned with the welfare of those they are responsible for- not just the “right ones” for that month. Be consistent. Change the bloody successful strategies.

I’m reading my way thru Vol 2 now I can’t help but question the basic common sense validity of some of the commissions observations and conclusions. Eg - the shooter left the area by the blue field road between 10:40-10:45. The MacDonalds told the RCMP about that road at approx 10:48 but magically they should have known sooner and blocked it off too even though there was no one at that time to block it off.

What kind of nonsense is that and why is it being so readily accepted?

Booter, you've just described every major organization a person could name these days. Swap out out the RCMP for CAF, Public Works, WestJet or Unilever and you will discover similar results. An environment which encourages too many 'climbers' to the determint of everything else.

I’m reading my way thru Vol 2 now I can’t help but question the basic common sense validity of some of the commissions observations and conclusions. Eg - the shooter left the area by the blue field road between 10:40-10:45. The MacDonalds told the RCMP about that road at approx 10:48 but magically they should have known sooner and blocked it off too even though there was no one at that time to block it off.

What kind of nonsense is that and why is it being so readily accepted?
have to have someone to blame.

I think Booter gave a good summary, but I tend to agree with Kratz that similar issues exist in many organizations. Where public and private organizations often differ is the definition of 'risk' and 'reward', certainly as interpreted by the upper levels.

Generally, I see a lot more management than leadership these days, but many purveyors think one is the other. One is harder.

Booter, you've just described every major organization a person could name these days.

"Never, NEVER, admit the department has done anything wrong!"

Lawsuits cost the taxpayers big $$$.

@daftandbarmy id say that we hit all the very specific benchmarks laid out in that article. That’s sarcasm. I think those types of articles are a good example of what’s wrong- a continuation of the incessant nattering from the government about bullying over everything else.

Corrections Canada management- bullies. RCMP- bullies. Governor General- bullies. PMOs office yells At people. Commissioner- bullies. CF leadership out of touch bullies.

Every time we re having a talk in this country about improving something it’s got to be done in two years, contain some factor that we have less control over than we think we do and set a hard number on it that we never hit (like “Raise indigenous officers to 5% by summer!”), and it has to
Serve two masters- become more operationally proficient AND satisfy some deep societal need to seem like it’s this harmonious swaying group of “our strength is our differences!”.

then shockingly we never make progress. These “goals” and language are designed for politicians not public servants (drawing a distinction for a moment- even though politicians should be servants). Politicians get away with this shit because they play games with statistics, move the goalposts and blame the other team while resting on lofty ideals, and beyond roads, borders and hospitals their work is imaginary. When our practical public safety agencies do it it’s immediately obvious it didn’t work.

You fix something by changing the successful strategies. If it is successful to yell and scream in your office- you’ll get yellers and screamers. If it is successful to plant rumours in the media about your boss being a bully- it’ll get planted.

If it’s successful to go home sick for years, or on pay for years after being charged or given a service charge people will do it.

If you get to work less by not being a uniformed call taker it’s a race to get out of uniform. Currently- there is a successful strategy- probably the most successsful strategy- in the force is to not do anything when you have to make a decision.

Look in those recommendations about all the stuff on leadership, promotion, who is in control. That all stems From it.

You will go farther presently if you gamble a little and cross your fingers not making the tough calls. Do not innovate. Do not exceed. Do not make a decision. It’ll probably go away. Don’t send the emergency alert- it’s PROBABLY not what’s going on- and if you’re wrong and send it you’ll annoy someone.

There are presently a group of “desired” up and comers in the organization pursuing rank- they actively avoid operational positions because in an operational position you have to make decisions that could cause you a headache by making the wrong call. Seek prestige positions that don’t contain risky decisions. These people will lead the organization- it is a successful strategy.

If you want to change the RCMP you have to reward strategies that create effective operations containing healthy members.

So- if it’s rewarded to not have enough officers or to not ask for more positions, or to turn in money rather than fix vehicles or equipment that’s what you’ll get.

If you hammer NCOs for not addressing issues in their office you might start to change the fabric, hammer them for not making decisions, hammer them for failing to Identify gaps- hammer them for not maintaining discipline. Hammer them for yelling and screaming. Hammer them for sexual harassment in the office. Make those behaviour unsuccessful.

Reward decision and informed risk taking- even where unsuccessful. Rebuke those that avoid “making the call”. Breed leaders concerned with the welfare of those they are responsible for- not just the “right ones” for that month. Be consistent. Change the bloody successful strategies.
This is gold. Any chance you would run for Parliament next election?

The volunteer fire departments have zero (no) paid staff, not even the Chief.

Do Nova Scotia vollies receive stipends or reimbursement for time spent on-call, responding to calls, and training?

Do they have WCB / WSIB coverage? Not sure what they call it in N.S..

I read there are more than 250 fire depts. in Nova Scotia.

The community relies on 911 and the ability of a volunteer response.

9-1-1 rural vs urban response times, and funding, is a common topic in Ontario. Presumably in Nova Scotia as well.

The Onslow-Belmount NS fire brigade website indicates volunteers earn free training, a licence plate and some tax credits, but no fee or honorarium per call. This is why the departments are always 50/50 fundraising and local property taxes are so low. This is the same location the RCMP officers shot at during the MCI.

Rural vollies ( ON ) get green flashing lights for their personal cars. Our Hatzoloh also have them in the city. Their target response time is under 3 minutes, 100% of the time.

Shomrim also provides 5 - 10 minute local response.

My area’s swimming in OT. I could do four day compressed workweeks and do 12 hour shifts Fri-Sat-Sun indefinitely if I wanted to. The bodies just aren’t there.

I don't know if it financially correct, but I have heard some say it is more cost effective for some employers to pay the OT, rather than hire replacements.

I don't know if it financially correct, but I have heard some say it is more cost effective for some employers to pay the OT, rather than hire replacements.

That's not the issue for my organization. Like everyone in policing, it's a lack of good applicants who want to join the profession. The money's alright, but the job can really, really suck sometimes.

That's not the issue for my organization. Like everyone in policing, it's a lack of good applicants who want to join the profession.

It's a challenge in health care as well.

The "Baby Boom" generation is aging. As it does so, all of those 'boomers' become net consumers of health care themselves, driving up demand for services.

Simultaneously, all of those 'boomers' have reached the end of their careers and are ( or have ) retired.

Since subsequent generations are typically much smaller, there is difficulty in recruiting "suitable" replacements. Just as demand for health services is increasing.

The money's alright, but the job can really, really suck sometimes.

Fortunately, PTSD in emergency services is acknowledged more now than it used to be.

Àll sorts of programs available now, compared to before.

That's not the issue for my organization. Like everyone in policing, it's a lack of good applicants who want to join the profession. The money's alright, but the job can really, really suck sometimes.
There is a lack of applicants everywhere. Canada's "blue" agencies are all competing for the same pool of people and it's pretty stiff competition. I recall one recruit in my agency who left for lunch early in our program and never came back. We found out later that day that the RCMP has picked him up, so he bailed on us to go to Depot.

There is a lack of applicants everywhere. Canada's "blue" agencies are all competing for the same pool of people and it's pretty stiff competition. I recall one recruit in my agency who left for lunch early in our program and never came back. We found out later that day that the RCMP has picked him up, so he bailed on us to go to Depot.

Was he actually hired as an employee, or going through some sort of training program where you get hired at the end?

Was he actually hired as an employee, or going through some sort of training program where you get hired at the end?
The latter. Our recruits don't receive a letter of offer until graduation. They are then on probation for up to 18 months.

Booter, you've just described every major organization a person could name these days. Swap out out the RCMP for CAF, Public Works, WestJet or Unilever and you will discover similar results. An environment which encourages too many 'climbers' to the determint of everything else.
I have to agree. The "senior management" are just that - managers and not leaders. The blame for things that go wrong only go one way - to the lowest rank on duty at the time.

"Sh#t goes downhill. Money goes up."

I've made it a practice, at times, of telling my subordinates to jot down in their notebook that I've told them/authorized them to do something, and have noted it myself. It pisses me off when managers 'dump down'. A few times now I've repeated the line, familiar to most of us here, that "you can delegate responsibility but you cannot delegate accountability". I've seen a few people taken aback by that.

Back