• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Explosive Devices in Amherst, NS

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/amherst-police-loud-blast-detonating-device-agnew-street-1.5833149
Police detonate device in Amherst after 2 large blasts this week

Police chief says there's no evidence to suggest those responsible are intentionally looking to harm others
CBC News · Posted: Dec 09, 2020 8:37 AM AT | Last Updated: 18 minutes ago

Amherst Police were on scene detonating an explosive device near Rotary Park on Agnew Street early Wednesday morning. (Paul Palmeter/CBC)

Police in Amherst, N.S., say a explosive device was successfully detonated by police Wednesday after it was found in a local park by officers investigating the early-morning explosion of another device just four blocks away.

The two incidents on Agnew Street come just days after another explosion on Monday shook homes on Rupert Street, near the intersection with Agnew Street.

The town's police chief, Dwayne Pike, would not say Wednesday what the devices were, but said there is currently no evidence to suggest anyone is trying to intentionally harm others. No one has been injured and there's been no property damage.

"It's still very concerning, as you can imagine," Pike said.

"There's no targeted threat or immediate threat except these things happened in public areas, they usually happened late at night when there was no one around. But there's always a concern that somebody could walk by or drive by or even people that are responsible for this could cause some serious harm or death to themselves."

Pike said police were called around Wednesday 2:40 a.m. after a device detonated near the Armoury building, a loud explosion that woke many in town.

During a search, police located a second device, in Rotary Park, that had not gone off. The RCMP explosive disposal unit was called to the scene. Pike said they successfully detonated the second device around 9 a.m.

Pike wouldn't say whether Wednesday's devices were similar to the one Monday. He said it was still early in the investigation but police would expect the two incidents to have a connection.

Monday's incident happened just after 10 p.m. Police said they received "numerous calls about a large blast that was heard throughout town."

Police said officers found debris from a detonated device near the intersection of Agnew and Rupert streets. The town's mayor said the Wednesday and Monday explosions happened about three blocks apart.

"I haven't been able to be in touch with my police chief to get a formal briefing, but I know now this is looking more serious and is going to be fully and thoroughly investigated," said Mayor David Kogon.

Kogon said he didn't personally hear either of the blasts, "but numerous people certainly did."

"It was obviously a very audible event to a lot of people," he said.

No one was hurt in either incident and there were also no reports of property damage, according to police.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Amherst Police Department at (902) 667-8600 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

How does such a statement even come close to passing the sniff test? ???

There's no targeted threat or immediate threat except these things happened in public areas,....

Yeah. No clue, and given that this has been going on a few days I am surprised it hasn't hit the media more.

Good2Golf said:
How does such a statement even come close to passing the sniff test? ???

Yea exactly.

"I haven't been able to be in touch with my police chief to get a formal briefing,

That's not suspicious at all.

My home town. There are some freaking wing nuts there, some in positions of authority.

Weinie said:
My home town. There are some freaking wing nuts there, some in positions of authority.

Only place I've every seen a disco ball at a Dooleys!

It also had Legends *sniff*

Elm Tree is still ticking though.

Scott said:
It also had Legends *sniff*

Elm Tree is still ticking though.

I think Legends burnt down (nothing suspicious though cough...cough)

I have some very good (and some really foggy) memories of the Elm Tree.

Legends was one building over from the old train station. The Elm Tree is about two hundred metres the other way.

Weinie said:

Good sir - there are wingnuts everywhere in positions of authority - we've both met a few in our time.

Apparently they've got one suspect in custody and another person of interest.

Still all very quiet about this.

Scott said:
Apparently they've got one suspect in custody and another person of interest.

Still all very quiet about this.

It won't take long to get the 2nd suspect. Everyone knows everyone there. It's not too often my hometown of Amherst makes the news, but when they do it's spectacular!

Back