• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Brad Sallows said:
>Has their been a dramatic increase in mass shootings and gun crime?

Not yet, but many more people than usual are under severe stress.  But the stress is the root of problems, not the guns.

1, 2, 3, ...

N.S. police warn active shooter may be driving what looks like RCMP vehicle, wearing uniform

Police advising residents in the area to go into their basements and lock the doors
CBC News · Posted: Apr 19, 2020 5:37 AM AT | Last Updated: 3 minutes ago
CBC News Network

Nova Scotia RCMP have identified the active shooter in the rural community of Portapique, N.S., as 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman.

Police say there are multiple victims but would not say Sunday morning how many people were either injured or killed.

Gabriel Wortman, 51, has been identified by RCMP as the man at the centre of an active shooter situation that began late Saturday in the rural community of Portapique, N.S. (RCMP)

Police said Sunday Wortman may be driving what appears to be an RCMP vehicle and may be wearing an RCMP uniform.

"There's 1 difference btwn his car and our RCMP vehicles: the car #. The suspect's car is 28B11, behind rear passenger window. If you see 28B11 call 911 immediately," Nova Scotia RCMP tweeted.

RCMP said Wortman is considered armed and dangerous. Around 10:30 a.m. Sunday, RCMP tweeted that Wortman is currently in the Central Onslow and Debert area west of Truro in the vehicle that looks like an RCMP car and wearing an RCMP uniform.

"If you see him, call 911. DO NOT approach," RCMP tweeted Sunday morning.

Police said Wortman is a bald white man who is six-foot-two to six-foot-three with green eyes.

Police first alerted the public to an incident with a weapon involving someone with a firearm in the Portapique area on Saturday at 11:30 p.m. Residents are being advised by RCMP to stay in their homes and lock their doors.

"You may not see the police but we are there with you," the Nova Scotia RCMP tweeted Sunday morning.

RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Lisa Croteau says the public is also being asked to avoid the area of Portapique Beach Road, Bay Shore Road and Five Houses Road along the Cobequid Bay in Colchester County.

Croteau says people living on those streets should if possible "go into the basement, we just have an unfolding situation, a person with a firearm, and would like everybody to stay safe and we will provide more updates when available."

Some parts of the community have been evacuated but Croteau did not give details on how many people or from which area.

Police and other first responders have set up a staging area in the community of Great Village, about 10 minutes east of Portapique.

A five-kilometre stretch of Highway 2, which runs through Portapique, has been closed between Great Village and the community of Economy.

Portapique is about 40 kilometres west of Truro, N.S. A spokesperson for the Colchester East Hants Health Centre in Truro said the hospital went into lockdown at 11:35 p.m. Saturday, but could not give any further details.

Police, fire, and paramedics are staging in the nearby community of Great Village, about 10 minutes from Portapique, N.S., where they are responding to an active shooter situation that began late Saturday night. (Shaina Luck/CBC)

Mike MacKay, who lives just off the Glooscap Trail in Portapique, N.S., said the situation is "very uncomfortable."

He said he saw police cars on the Portapique Beach Road around 11:30 p.m. Saturday, across the Portapique River from his home.

"We saw a fire down the road, and thought that's all that it was. Then we saw a second fire and a third fire," said MacKay in a phone interview from his home Sunday morning.

MacKay said they found out hours later that it was an active shooter situation. He said he did not sleep at all overnight.

'You're on edge'

"You're on edge. It's a small community," said MacKay. "It becomes quite a concern."

Coun. Tom Taggart, who represents the area for the Municipality of Colchester, described Portapique as a quiet community with many seniors.

"There's a lot of people very concerned," he said in a phone interview Sunday morning. "I do know that there's a huge police presence and that should make people relatively comfortable."

Taggart said there are many seasonal homes in the area, which has around 100 residents but swells to 250 in the warmer months.

"It's a beautiful, quiet, rural community," said Taggart, adding that the situation is not something he'd expect to happen in "cottage country."

The RCMP would not comment on the report of multiple house fires when asked by CBC News on Sunday morning.

Link has photos, maps and links to other articles.

Brad Sallows said:
>Has their been a dramatic increase in mass shootings and gun crime?

Not yet, but many more people than usual are under severe stress.  But the stress is the root of problems, not the guns.
Retired AF Guy said:
1, 2, 3, ...

Link has photos, maps and links to other articles.

I doubt that in a space of a month of lockdown he could acquire a uniform, firearms, and build/detail his own replica RCMP cruiser.  This looks to be long in the planning and development, not a sudden COVID stress action.

Brad jinxed it!

may be driving what appears to be an RCMP vehicle and may be wearing an RCMP uniform.

That could really get ugly/deadly. 

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/there-s-angels-among-us-cancer-survivor-to-receive-new-dentures-1.1928606

From giving a cancer survivor new teeth to shooting at people?

I'm listening to the EMS scanner. RCMP command post just called an EMS chopper direct for a suspect down at the Enfield Big Stop just off the highway.

Lots more to come out on this one... It's really bad.

Brihard said:
I'm listening to the EMS scanner. RCMP command post just called an EMS chopper direct for a suspect down at the Enfield Big Stop just off the highway.

Lots more to come out on this one... It's really bad.

That's nearly 100km from Portapique.

Map of the two locations

Brihard said:

I was on an assignment down east last January. I used to have breakfast there almost every morning.  That's a busy spot!

CTV just announced that they have him in custody....IDK

GAP said:
CTV just announced that they have him in custody....IDK

It's going to be some hours before a coherent story begins to come together on this one. Just wait out.

Brihard said:
It's going to be some hours before a coherent story begins to come together on this one. Just wait out.

Unfortunately there's a captive audience who are going to be extra determined to get details. I've read people are already all over the guys facebook account posting.

Haggis said:
I was on an assignment down east last January. I used to have breakfast there almost every morning.  That's a busy spot!
Have had breakfast there more than once myself.  Fortunately with the self-isolation, I'm guessing the restaurant wasn't open for dine-in so the normal Sunday morning crowds wouldn't have been there.

Just wait out. RCMP have a presser at 6pm NS time, sounds about right to fit the facts together coherently. What I can say with confidence is that what you’re seeing in the news right now is of very fragmented accuracy. Obviously I’m not at liberty to be specific. Just give this the few hours it needs please. This has been a difficult and crappy morning for a lot of people.

Mercedes Stephenson is reporting one RCMP officer killed, another wounded.  And the suspect dead as well.

Global News has learned that suspect Gabriel Wortman has been shot dead by police. Police sources tell Global News an RCMP officer was killed by Wortman and another was shot and injured and is now in hospital.

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1251936606493315080

Pretty bad phrasing by Global.

Global News has confirmed that 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman was shot and killed by Nova Scotia police after being taken into custody Sunday morning. Wortman is the suspect of a fatal shooting that occurred in Portapique, N.S., which killed, multiple people including a member of the RCMP. Sarah Ritchie reports.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6838880/rcmp-active-shooter-portapique-n-s/

Jarnhamar said:
Pretty bad phrasing by Global.

My first though upon reading that is that he attempted to escape after capture.  It happens. However, as Brihard mentioned earlier, I'll wait for the full story.

Back