• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AC Op

prontogryphon

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I've searched the boards for my questions, and I was hoping if someone could help  me out.

I would like to know for AC Op:

What is the required score on the CFAT to qualify for an OT?

And what are the chances of getting sent for an OUTCAN posting after doing my 5s?

Thanks!!!

prontogryphon said:
What is the required score on the CFAT to qualify for an OT?

Irrelevant information. You get no indication during the test of the worth of each question and you are not usualy told what your end score was. Answer every question on the test to the best of your ability.

ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE NEXT AC OP COURSE IS STARTING AND IF IT'S A GOOD GO?

prontogryphon said:
And what are the chances of getting sent for an OUTCAN posting after doing my 5s?

Low.  For the AD side, you can get your 5's while you are still a Pte(T).  The majority of the OutCans start at the Cpl level, so that would rule you out.  As well, you would be posted in North Bay for at least 3ish years before you're going anywhere anyway.

pugilist said:

There is a course in house right now.  I'm not sure when the next one is scheduled for but I'll look it up when I get to work.

pugilist said:

Less use of caps please, no need to shout.

Milnet.Ca Staff

airmich said:
Low.  For the AD side, you can get your 5's while you are still a Pte(T).  The majority of the OutCans start at the Cpl level, so that would rule you out.  As well, you would be posted in North Bay for at least 3ish years before you're going anywhere anyway.

So, even if i'm transferring from the reserves (I'm an MCpl, which would bump me down to Cpl) I would still have to do 3 years in North Bay before getting an outcan posting?

prontogryphon said:
So, even if i'm transferring from the reserves (I'm an MCpl, which would bump me down to Cpl) I would still have to do 3 years in North Bay before getting an outcan posting?

Are you an AC Op in the reserves?  The CFRC would be the best ones to tell you what rank you'll retain when you transfer over.

prontogryphon said:

There is nothing written in stone of course, and you might always get a chance earlier.  But there is a long list of people also wanting OutCans who have done their time including a tour and/or time at the school.  There is people that have been in North Bay for 5+ years that still aren't getting an OutCan.  There is absolutely no guarantee at all in your whole career as an AC Op that you will get an OutCan.  So if you're transferring just for that reason, you might want to rethink.

Some people have been transferred out of North Bay prior to 3 years, but that is also rare.  No matter what your rank or position is coming here, expect to still do a full posting.

pugilist said:

Next course is scheduled for 28 Aug - 10 Dec 09. 

Hmmm.. :-\

thanks for all the info... would there be someone who's an AC Op who would be willing to help me out and answer a few questions?

Thanks alot!

Cheers!

prontogryphon said:
Hmmm.. :-\

thanks for all the info... would there be someone who's an AC Op who would be willing to help me out and answer a few questions?

Thanks alot!

Cheers!

I am an AC Op, and I've also done a CT to the trade.  What other kind of questions do you have?  There are a couple of threads within this board on the trade too.

I'm joining as AC Op and just have a few questions. What is the first 3 or 4 years in the trade like, where would I get posted? Could I push for a certain posting I.E Winnipeg????????
Is there time for an outside life in this trade? Is there a schedule per say?  I am a pro mixed martial artists and im hoping I will still have time to pursue my fighting career. Would this be a good trade for my type of lifestyle with training for fights, traveling for fights etc.......... hope someone can give me a little bit of information, Thanks.

While going through the training system your time will be spoken for, but once qualified in the field you will have sufficient time on your hands and work flexibility to pursue personal goals.

While the new CAOC in Winnipeg will have many an AC Op position they will be for previously qualified folks. You'll need some seasoning at an operational base before being considered.

pugilist said:
What are the possible postings after course in cornwall?

As I mentioned previously, there are already several threads on this trade, and I'm sure that it has been mentioned several times where the possible postings are.  No, you don't always get what you want, but you can put in your preferences.  If things haven't changed, you won't find out your posting until almost the end of your 3's course.

Typically, about half of the course (if not more) gets posted to North Bay.  The remainder are then posted to various airbases including: Trenton, Bagotville, Greenwood, Comox, Moose Jaw, Cold Lake.  Your training, and then working time, at any of them is varied.  I can only speak on North Bay.  After you have gone through your training, your schedule is 7 on/4 off/7 on/3 off.  They are 8 hour shifts with the beginning 3 or 4 as days and the remainder as eves or mids.  Overall, that gives you a fair amount of time off that you should be able to schedule outside activities within.  Anything over and above that, you will need to ask for extra time off which is given for sports and volunteer work on a case-by-case basis depending on manning.  Or you can use annual leave.

I'm fairly certain the questions your asking pertain to AEC's not AC Op's. AC Op's are not ATC's, and do not do IFR or VFR control...

Back