• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A400M Rollout

Hmmm.... she behaves real nice on the tow bar :)
wonder if the tug can pull it fast enough for it to "lift off" like a glider >:D

Anyone know if they got the engine issues resolved?

My recollection was that was huge contributor to the delays.....

Merci, Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Anyone know if they got the engine issues resolved?

My recollection was that was huge contributor to the delays.....

Merci, Matthew.   :salute:

Looks like the engine problems are solved. 

Ground testing in static rigs is complete and the engine will actually fly on their C130 test bed aircraft in the very near future.

http://www.europrop.aero/pages/news/EPI%20-%20TP400%20Ground%20Runs%20at%20Marshall%20Aerospace%20-%20release%20VA.pdf

We'll know if the engine issues are resolved after they get a whole bunch of actual flying time, but it looks good at this time.

high level description of what they are doing now . . .  notice the Herc is "bolted" down.

http://defence-data.com/current/page40369.htm

Haletown said:
Looks like the engine problems are solved. 

Ground testing in static rigs is complete and the engine will actually fly on their C130 test bed aircraft in the very near future.

http://www.europrop.aero/pages/news/EPI%20-%20TP400%20Ground%20Runs%20at%20Marshall%20Aerospace%20-%20release%20VA.pdf

We'll know if the engine issues are resolved after they get a whole bunch of actual flying time, but it looks good at this time.

Thanks Haletown....

Matthew.  :salute:

Just spoke to my contacts in the industry...the engine was ground run on the Herc( as per the pics in a previous post) for a total of 10 minutes...they are redesigning the compressor, so it, the new compressor, won't be in service until next year. As for the 10 minute run on the Herc, I'm informed that although a 10 minute first-run is not unusual, what is unusual is that there hasn't been another run since then....draw your own conclusions.

The Head,

If you have an axe to grind you can go grind it elsewhere.

Only warning you're getting from me.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

As the local CASA rep also in charge of the A400M I of course appreciate your overall positive remarks of the recent roll-out. Questions came up regarding possible engine challenges, which I explain here in more detail:

The first TP400-D4 engine run took place in October 2005 and the first engine and propeller run was performed in an out-door test facility in Istres (Southern France) in February 2006, successfully achieving a Contractual Milestone.

During the engine test programme, technical issues were discovered. The Power Gear Box suffered manufacturing quality issues, causing premature failure of the bearings while the Gear Box casing casting in Magnesium encountered quality problems. In August 2007, a High Pressure Compressor (HPC) failure occurred in a test engine. At the time of discovery of the HPC issue, the total engine test hours were close to 500 hours. The root cause of the HPC failure was identified in October 2007 and the engine test rig was modified to avoid unnecessary high-power surge. Engine test runs continued. The improved HPC will be installed on the test engine in August 2008 for testing and the production standard HPC will be available in October 2008. On 24 June 2008, engine test runs had accumulated 1550 hours, with 3 to 5 engines running simultaneously. All the necessary engine tests for MSN001 first flight clearance are scheduled to be completed by the end of July 2008, with a possibility of 1 month extension. 

One TP400-D4 engine has been installed on a C-130 aircraft for flying test. The first successful engine ground run on the C-130 took place in early June 2008 and first flight of the engine is scheduled at end of July 2008.

All in all, once the aircraft is airborne and in operations no one will talk about engine casings anymore. I haven't given up hope yet Canada will someday take a serious look at the A400M.

Thank you "295".

I had this nigglin' feeling that you were not going to, as others haven't in the past, disclose your close ties to a thread subject.

Hope you stay around and take advantage of the collective knowledge of http://www.air-force.ca.

Bruce

Engines aside, I believe there are a multitude of issues still unresolved for the entire run that have to be sorted out rather quickly to gain any credibility....one major issue is the viability of the partners staying together...

"I haven't given up hope yet Canada will someday take a serious look at the A400M."

And I maintain hope that someday the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup.  ;D

Hope is a wonderful thing.

Haletown said:

And I maintain hope that someday the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup.   ;D

What!!?? By trying to keep over-the-hill guys around at twenty million for two years!!??  >:D

Go Boston!!  ;D

As a Penguins fan my hopes were almost rewarded. Seriously, if several European countries decide to invest billions in new defence projects Canada only stands to profit from a competitive environment, the A400M being case-in-point. Its partners will stay together to tackle challenges we indeed have but eventually will overcome.

EADS has repeatedly said the A400M Program is in serious financial trouble - translation: it is not a profitable program. Since EADS is in some financial difficulties of it's own and there is very little cash (euros) or Executive stomach for continued support for the program.  The Aibus A380 investment is huge, sales have stalled and the break even point now is probably in excess of 600 aircraft.

Airbus also needs large investments for it's A350XWB project and will have to follow that investment with the next gen narrow body . . .  lotsa investment dollars needed.  The Power 8 restructuring Program  is in trouble as well, so the planned for cost savings are proving harder to deliver to their bottom line.

If they don't sell a bunch of A400's to new buyers very soon there will be extreme pressure to terminate & cut the losses.

IMHO, we'll never see in one in CAF livery.

Hi all
I work in the factory where the A400M is built in Seville, a beautiful city in the South of Spain.

I'm glad to see that the roll-out sparked so much interest. Please don't take it wrong, I do not represent my company in any way, I'm just personally proud of the work we're doing.

There is a collection of articles, a number of high resolution pictures and some videos of the a400m roll-out in the following link:

http://aergenium.blogspot.com/search/label/A400M

(the site is in Spanish)

Kind regards,

Haletown said:
it does have a passing resemblance in place to a fat 141  . . .

here's the roll-out party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3eLNxKsE1E&feature=related

Hi Haletown
the link to the video does not seem to work, I get this message:

This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

Do you know how to get to it?

Cheers

Back