• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A little help. (personal, no jokes)

Huggy, your parents seem a lot more rigid on the subject than mine.  I still have not told my parents about my application, mainly because the last time I brought up the military the response was "You're not joining."  End of discussion.  This is odd, considering 5 years ago when I left high school, they were all for it.  I've decided to wait until I've got my swearing-in booked; that way I'm pretty much already in and they can't attempt to discourage me.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom, they all mean a lot.
Just to tuch on some posts.

Laps
[qoute]From what I understand, you only have one semester left to graduate?  If this is the case, do yourself a favour and finish it!!!  This is probably what every recruiter will tell you.  And during that lousy last semester, at least you will have something to look for.  Also, this will look really good on your application form!!!

As far as the parental issue goes, I think that your parent just need some military "education".  If you dad is in his 60s, he probably sees the military as either :

a) some type of a reform institution where they send problem kids
b) a place where people die at wars.

Now a day, the CF is neither.  Don't get me wrong, you will still be a soldier and be put in harms way, but it is not WWII or Korea anymore.  Being in the CF really is an honnest way to make a living.[/qoute]

To be honest with you my dads attitude \ outlook is not so much that. My dad would be more inclined to look at the money issue. As a electrician I would be looking at a starting wage of about $40,000cdn to $45,000 and after I get my ticket it would be more like $65,000 and after that if get my masters ticket its like $80,000 so my dad would just be looking at what I'm giving up and he would care an feelings to sever ones country he's more into material items. Sad but true.

Jmackenzie_15
when I joined the CF, my father was supported because he just wanted  me to work, but my mother was strongly opposed and still is to this day.As somebody else stated, she has sort of a "bum in the army" complex going on.Its been the source of many a heated argument.Im happy that I enlisted, and ive found it to be a very rewarding job, and one taht builds alot of character.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you, and do with your life what you wish, not what everyone else thinks you should do.

" I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody "

This seems to come up a lot, and I understand what you all mean by it, your right in the end its what I want to do. My hanging point is that I was raised with â Å“respect thy parentsâ ? sort of attitude, which gets in the way more then it helps. Don't misunderstand me I'm not a big church person, not that there is anything wrong with being one, but you know.

Sheerin
Its a good letter, and like everyone else I comend you on your courage for posting it here.  I would suggest that you take some of that courage and sit your parents down and try to have an open and frank discussion with them.  Chances are it may get fairly heated, but given enough time I'm sure your parents will accept your decision.  Just make sure that this is what you want to do...

And if you're going to give that letter to your parents I'd suggest you proof it a little more.  I noticed in several places you used the there when you should have used 'their'.  Its a good letter, just has a few of those common mistakes. 

Thanks for the look over, I'm going back to fix it up.
I'm also thinking that your right I might be better off rewording the letter, making it sorter and more to the point and sit down with them as they read it, and just have this letter as a sort of backup if things do get heated.

Xterra rat
Your courage to post your letter is a testament to your character. I am in the army reserves on BMQ and I would be honoured to serve with you. By the way I am married and joined when I was 34 and had to tell my WIFE and JOB my plans. I know how you feel. Hang in there.

Thanks
How did your wife take the news?

Bdtyre
Huggy, your parents seem a lot more rigid on the subject than mine.  I still have not told my parents about my application, mainly because the last time I brought up the military the response was "You're not joining."  End of discussion.  This is odd, considering 5 years ago when I left high school, they were all for it.  I've decided to wait until I've got my swearing-in booked; that way I'm pretty much already in and they can't attempt to discourage me.

Well my mom is not really a problem in this madder, she seems to see it as it is my life and if this is what I want then go for it. But my dad is a different store he is more focused on money, life, items owned, etc.
At what point do you have to tell them? Like aren't you worried about having your parents pick up the phone and there is the Lt. Smith asking for you from the enlisting office? 

Huggy,
I went through something very similar to what you are describing.  Hang in there and show your parents your rationale for joining the CF.  Start with Money and your ability to support yourself if you get in as a Line Tech in the CF versus Industrial Electrician..

About the myth of your starting wage at 40k-45k -- I am assuming that you live in Hamilton area since you attend Mohawk?  To become an electrician or at least get signed on as an apprentice in the area  -- 9 times out of 10 (unless you have an uncle or contact in Dofasco's Electric Utility Dept.) you will have to go through the IBEW 105. They will peg you at 40% of a journeyman's wage which when I was in my first period amounted to 10.76$/hr. and you are capped at 40 hours a week...(do the math, you are going to have to struggle with far less than 40k$ a year!!! There is little growth in the area asides from the project at the new continuous tandem mill at Dofasco which should dry up all the local jobs in the area around May 2005....And also expect to do nothing related to your trade at least until you hit your 3rd period -- this system is not the most conductive (no pun intended) for learning -- for 2 months straight I was directing a stupid all terrain forklift as opposed to learning about electricity....

Also, if you do go through the 2 year Electro-Mech Tech program at Dofasco the wonderfull IBEW and all its wisdom will credit you absolutely nothing towards your apprenticeship (regarding hours) forcing you to start as a first period apprentice...(You are only exempt from taking the Beginner and Intermediate classes during your release)...  Also explain to your father about the long periods of unemployment while on the wait list at the Union Hall after finishing a job (some people wait 6-9 months on EI) none of this time is taken off your 1200hours per period....Unlike the CF you will have constant employment....A better starting wage, without the sneaky union politics....You will be contributing to something positive as well -- representing your country.

I do agree with most of the others that have taken the time to read your post.  And i encourage you to look to the CF for your futrue.  But be fore-warned

"Unlike the CF you will have constant employment....A better starting wage, without the sneaky union politics....You will be contributing to something positive as well -- representing your country."

The CF itself has sneaky politics, and you will not always be doing something that you may want to be doing.  Yes you will be contributing to your country and yes you will make a fair wage but it does come with a price, as do all things in life.  I hate to use the American saying but the army is not just a job it is an adventure.  To this i mean it is a way of life.  To all who read this you may or may not agree, but in my opinion it is.  It is engrained into us.  Not a bad thing and it is not always negative.
I do encourage you to look into the CF it can be a great place for you.  But i hope it is not to run away from problems as the CF is not a real good shield it is more like a strainer when it comes to that sort of thing.

Best of Luck

Huggy,
Your decisions, and the reactions that happen as a result of your actions, are something that YOU will have to live with.
Therefore the main thing that matters (to YOU) is whether or not YOU can live with your decisions, actions and possible reactions.
We're all strangers here - do you have a close family friend, or relative, who could and would stand by you during this?
(i.e. it's okay to do stuff alone - sometimes necessary - but having backup or reinforcements can be a good thing ... especially in the context of a situation where you're writing a letter ... and even more so in the context of a situation where you may believe that a letter is necessary ...)

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Dear Huggy,

I have just joined this board and read your letter to your parents.  There are so many things I want to say to you I don't know where to start.  I guess I'll start by saying that I am the mother of two sons - now in their 30's - neither has joined the military like their father.  We have always supported our sons with the decisions they have made - even if we didn't quite agree with those decisions.

What I got from your letter was that like most parents, yours love you very much and want better for you than they had for themselves.  That's what all parents want.  College and/or University isn't for everyone.  Some are cut out for it and some aren't.  I only have a Grade 11 education but I have tons of life experience and I've just released my third book (two about the military lifestyle from the spouse's point of view)  I share that with you because I've seen too many parents pushing their children into higher education that isn't right for them.  Granted the more education you have hopefully, the easier it will be to find a job - but you only have to read a newspaper to see how many well educated people have been laid off - so education is not the only key to success.

You are old enough to make your own decisions and if your heart is telling you that the military is what you would like to try then I say go for it.  I do hope that you feel a little better just putting your thoughts on paper and I hope you do give that letter to your parents.  They will probably be hurt at first but give them time to absorb the entire letter's contents and I'm hoping they will come to see that you need to follow your own path. 

As parents we hope we can shield our children from all hurts and protect them - have them learn from our experiences, but everyone has to make their own experiences and learn from them.  Personally, I would be hurt receiving such a letter because it would show me that my son(s) didn't feel they could come and talk to me - but after that feeling subsided, then I would love my son more, for loving me and my husband enough to open his heart in the way that you have.

Don't be so hard on yourself or on your parents.  You have much to offer the world and you will find the path you are meant to follow.  You need to stop trying to please your parents and please yourself.  Good luck with your decision - you'll be in my prayers.  Cheers, Dianne

Dianne,

Welcome aboard, if I may be the first of the senior members on the board to welcome you. Your perspective will be welcome in any discussion.

I kind of disagree with everyone else's advice of sitting your parents down to have a formal discussion about you joining the army.  Why cause so much worry and friction in your family at such an early stage? 

I would very casually say that a CF recruiter was in your school and you had a quick chat with him and now you may check out the CF just to see what it is about.  (bring in some brochures and papers and what not from the army about various trades you are interested in and leave them hanging around in your room or on the kitchen table etc.) 

Or that you where talking to a classmate who is in the army and you where interested by his experience from the army. (bring up various good points about the army like the education, courage, money, discipline, stress handling abilities, leadership skills etc.)  This way you can safely mention the good experiences from the army...so when you bring up the fact that you may want to write the exam they will at least have that positive information about the army before they jump all over your decision.  (plan it so that you tell them the some positive points about the CF... than at a later date mention you may visit the recruiting center to write the exam.  Basically give your parents something to digest first about the army with letting them know you down right want to be hired.  At a later date show more interest in the army... make it seem very casual).

Either that or go write the exam, do the physical and get your medical done first... if you make it through all of those than tell your parents that you are interested in a career in the army.  The army has high standards of recruiting... and they have no problems with rejecting people for a long period of time or even permanently.  God forbit, but if you don't make through these stages at least you are saving yourself and your parents from a difficult, stressful talk (or argument) about you wanting to join the forces.

As a few of the guys above mentioned... recruiting is a very slow process, don't quit your day job and complete your education... you'll have plenty of time to do it. (the forces probably won't hire you until you finish your education...at least that was my experience.)

Best of luck to you...and keep us up to date on your application!  All the best with your parents.  I am sure which ever way you tell them they will support you eventually.

On a quick side note...don't let failures get you down.  EVERYONE fails at something eventually, just be thankful for what you currently have (like your job for one) and realize things could always get worst (like you dating a possessive girl friend!)

:cdn: :salute:

Huggy,

A long letter and a very heartfelt one to boot.  Give your parents the respect they deserve, don't take that as a slight but I think you talk to them face to face, explain the letter, ask for their understanding and see what comes out of it.  Sometimes we think we know our parents and bam, they surprise the hell out of you.
  By the way Lineman 052 is a physically demanding trade that has a lot of math involved during the initial stages of trg.  They have instructors there to help you through but don't let the recruiters BS you, math is a component of any trade within the communications branch.  Don't think too much about it ................. go and talk with them

Huggy said:
Bdtyre

Well my mom is not really a problem in this madder, she seems to see it as it is my life and if this is what I want then go for it. But my dad is a different store he is more focused on money, life, items owned, etc.
At what point do you have to tell them? Like aren't you worried about having your parents pick up the phone and there is the Lt. Smith asking for you from the enlisting office?  

Its quite easy actually.  :p  I applied about a week before I was married, and I simlply put my new address and phone number.  Trust me, it would be much harder if I still lived with my parents. :)  (And no, for those who think I took the easy way out, I did not apply when I was pretty much moved out just to avoid telling my parents.  I applied when I did at the urging of my wife.)

I love this, so much interesting info and so many interesting people. So to address some items here.
Hajdut777
Huggy,
I went through something very similar to what you are describing.   Hang in there and show your parents your rationale for joining the CF.    Start with Money and your ability to support yourself if you get in as a Line Tech in the CF versus Industrial Electrician..

About the myth of your starting wage at 40k-45k -- I am assuming that you live in Hamilton area since you attend Mohawk?   To become an electrician or at least get signed on as an apprentice in the area   -- 9 times out of 10 (unless you have an uncle or contact in Dofasco's Electric Utility Dept.) you will have to go through the IBEW 105. They will peg you at 40% of a journeyman's wage which when I was in my first period amounted to 10.76$/hr. and you are capped at 40 hours a week...(do the math, you are going to have to struggle with far less than 40k$ a year!!! There is little growth in the area asides from the project at the new continuous tandem mill at Dofasco which should dry up all the local jobs in the area around May 2005....And also expect to do nothing related to your trade at least until you hit your 3rd period -- this system is not the most conductive (no pun intended) for learning -- for 2 months straight I was directing a stupid all terrain forklift as opposed to learning about electricity....

Also, if you do go through the 2 year Electro-Mech Tech program at Dofasco the wonderfull IBEW and all its wisdom will credit you absolutely nothing towards your apprenticeship (regarding hours) forcing you to start as a first period apprentice...(You are only exempt from taking the Beginner and Intermediate classes during your release)...   Also explain to your father about the long periods of unemployment while on the wait list at the Union Hall after finishing a job (some people wait 6-9 months on EI) none of this time is taken off your 1200hours per period....Unlike the CF you will have constant employment....A better starting wage, without the sneaky union politics....You will be contributing to something positive as well -- representing your country.

See I learn something new all the time. With all the research I did before entering into this process (Mohawk college) I never asked any questions that begged a response like that. I would like to think info of such is IMPORTANT!!! And would be expanded to new students, BUT NO!! Mohawk is a business that really don't care what happens to you after the fact, they have your money and that's all they ever wanted. NUTS!!!! Thanks for heads up.   If its possible and if you have the time could we maybe meet up on MSN or something like that. If your in the Hamilton area maybe give you call??? PM me let me know please.

Wizard of OZ
The CF itself has sneaky politics, and you will not always be doing something that you may want to be doing.   Yes you will be contributing to your country and yes you will make a fair wage but it does come with a price, as do all things in life.   I hate to use the American saying but the army is not just a job it is an adventure.   To this i mean it is a way of life.   To all who read this you may or may not agree, but in my opinion it is.   It is engrained into us.   Not a bad thing and it is not always negative.
I do encourage you to look into the CF it can be a great place for you.   But i hope it is not to run away from problems as the CF is not a real good shield it is more like a strainer when it comes to that sort of thing.

I'm 23 and I know there is no way to elude politics its all over. I'm not running away from anything, people seem to bring this up all over the place. I look at it as I'm starting a life becoming my own person. 23 years of banging my head against the wall and know with a big bump on my head and a hole in the wall I see myself needing (not wanting) something but just not sure how to make it happen.

Bossi
Huggy,
Your decisions, and the reactions that happen as a result of your actions, are something that YOU will have to live with.
Therefore the main thing that matters (to YOU) is whether or not YOU can live with your decisions, actions and possible reactions.
We're all strangers here - do you have a close family friend, or relative, who could and would stand by you during this?
(i.e. it's okay to do stuff alone - sometimes necessary - but having backup or reinforcements can be a good thing ... especially in the context of a situation where you're writing a letter ... and even more so in the context of a situation where you may believe that a letter is necessary ...)

Whatever you decide, good luck.

This is my decision and trust me I'm willing to live with the possible reaction but I'm trying to avoid as much as possible the likely reaction, from fear of making family life ever more difficult not only for me but others.

My love my life
This post really got to me, its so true and yet its just so hard to bring myself to suck-it-up and sit down to talk with my dad.
I'm going to play cut and paste with your post just so I can highlight points I strongly recommend that people read her post as a whole not just my clips

What I got from your letter was that like most parents, yours love you very much and want better for you than they had for themselves.   That's what all parents want.   College and/or University isn't for everyone.   Some are cut out for it and some aren't.

your right or that's what my dad keeps saying any ways, but he's been instilled with a particular outlook on life which I imagine is, that there is one way to be successful in life, and that's getting the best education you can (school), and once your successful your happy because your education will lead you to a successful career, and all the rich you need in life. I guess it's the 1960's perception. So to try dealing with that would be a futile effort.

You are old enough to make your own decisions and if your heart is telling you that the military is what you would like to try then I say go for it.   I do hope that you feel a little better just putting your thoughts on paper and I hope you do give that letter to your parents

I feel that I am old enough to make my own decisions but the way I was brought up, was in a fashion of, If in doubt don't, which works to a point and keeps one out of trouble but later in life shows up as a disability usual called procrastination (?I think I spelled right?)
As a child my dad also told me to check with him over anything, so if I wanted to do something or buy something with my money I would make a decision (my own) and go check with dad, coz he told me to, so I would and he tell me the complete opposite to the decision I made and give a big lecture on why he's right.

Thank you so much for your view point.
If I may ask what were the titles to your books? PM me please if you don't feel right posting that's kind of info.

AndrewD83
I kind of disagree with everyone else's advice of sitting your parents down to have a formal discussion about you joining the army.   Why cause so much worry and friction in your family at such an early stage?  

I would very casually say that a CF recruiter was in your school and you had a quick chat with him and now you may check out the CF just to see what it is about.   (bring in some brochures and papers and what not from the army about various trades you are interested in and leave them hanging around in your room or on the kitchen table etc.)

Well I was thinking of same thing myself. Because something like this would cause friction for sure, that maybe a understatement. A lot of things factor into this that is incredibly hard to put on screen or put into words. You are all right it is in the end what I want to do, it is my life but if I can find a simple or just a solution to make other peoples life (mom, dad, family in general) a little more relaxed then super I'll take that approach rather then BAN! I'm joining the army.

Jimmy689
A long letter and a very heartfelt one to boot.   Give your parents the respect they deserve, don't take that as a slight but I think you talk to them face to face, explain the letter, ask for their understanding and see what comes out of it.   Sometimes we think we know our parents and bam, they surprise the heck out of you.
  By the way Lineman 052 is a physically demanding trade that has a lot of math involved during the initial stages of trg.   They have instructors there to help you through but don't let the recruiters BS you, math is a component of any trade within the communications branch.   Don't think too much about it ................. go and talk with them

Jimmy I don't mean there to be disrespect, but yes sitting down and talking with them is as I see it the ideal situation but my dad he does most of the talking and none of the listening, thus a letter at least he can read it over and over again and get the 'just' of it before talking even then its going to be a one sided issue.
As for the math I understand that it is part of it, but I'm more then willing to learn if I have someone willing to teach.

Bdtyre
Its quite easy actually.    I applied about a week before I was married, and I simlply put my new address and phone number.   Trust me, it would be much harder if I still lived with my parents.   (And no, for those who think I took the easy way out, I did not apply when I was pretty much moved out just to avoid telling my parents.   I applied when I did at the urging of my wife.)
I see, did they call you a lot?
Where the conversation over the phone long?
I ask because I have a pay as go cell phone and I'm wondering if I can just give them that number and just that as a contact number, I can get a answering service put on it.

I was hoping to get you all input into something from a parent's point of view.
I am having this on going dilemma in my head where, I feel that I really should sit down with my parents (particularly my dad) and level everything out with him. I know by telling him that I vary much dislike my life in its current condition and showing him that letter along with some information on the army, that this will have a overload effect on him where he will start crying and arguing with my about his life and all the sacrifices he has given up for his children (I can see this happening). Which I (not to sound rude or anything) don't need to hear nor do I feel that I have any right to put him through that, but it just feels like the right way to go.   On the other side of the coin I have a situation where I can try to get through as much of the process as I can until its come to a conclusion where I'm sworn in and its necessary to tell him. (which to you the truth I'm not sure if its possible to keep it from him that long, you know phone calls, mail etc.)
Also what do you think about that letter, is that adequate? Or again from a parent's point of view should I maybe retype a shorter letter that is more to the point and less historic (for lack of a better word) that letter is my true feelings but sometimes I sit down and read over it, only to think to myself that my farther wouldn't get past the first paragraph before he had some 'question' and the rest of letter would be unnecessary, once he started talking.

Also and this just happened all of 2 min ago.
My dad found a informational CD for the CF laying out, and started saying.
And I quote. â Å“you wouldn't join the army would you?â ? without me answering he just keep talking â Å“You know those poor buggers spend there life and live on a base some whereâ ? and then he said good night and went up to bed.   I am really confused....

I have been reading over this thread, well most of the posts anyhow, and to me the answer is simple. You are 23, you want to join the CF, whats the problem. Parents get pissed off, parents dont always agree with our choices, parents sometimes dont speak to us for awhile because of the dumb things we do. But the thing is, if they love you , eventually they will get over it. Life is way too short to be stressing yourself out like this. You have to do what you want before it is too late. Yes, your parents have taken care of you and totally deserve your respect, but you are an adult, its time to cut the apron strings and venture out on your own. Tell them your plans and stand firm, if this is what you want then this is what you have to do.

One of the things about becoming an adult is that you make a decision based on what you think is right. Your parents will likely support you if you make an informed decision. If your dad is saying 'you wouldn't join the army would you?' then think about the reasons you'll give him, if it's something you want to do.

The ability to make a decision is one of the things we look for in the military. You make decisions every day and you live with the consequences. Ensure you're educated enough in what the military lifestyle is, and what it will take for you to be successful in that endeavour. If you're looking for an easy way out of 'real life' then the military isn't it. Geographical cures do not work. Institutional cures do not work either. In the CF, you have bills to pay, you work long hours and noone thanks you for your hard work. You get the satisfaction you need by knowing you did a good job.

My advice to you would be to stop sitting on the fence. DO IT. If you sign up for 3 years, you at least come out with some life skills and memories, not to mention the lifelong friends you'll make. Consider your parents for sure, but consider your own interests as well. Everyone has to leave the nest sooner or later. Pleasing your parents is important to you which is nice, but you cannot live your life for your parents. i am sure they want the best for you, but you also know what will fulfill you.

Best of luck

Hi, just a suggestion but if you have that discussion with your parents and it doesn't go as planned why don't you take your dad down to a CFRC. When I applied to the reserves the recruiter spoke to my parents about it, and put at ease alot of the things they had on their minds. I even found out that my mother phoned and asked the Sgt. questions about basic training while I was away doing it. I know that it would be different with the regs but there is many CF members at the recruiting centre who would help. Anyways, good luck :)

Huggy, I wouldn't see a problem putting a cell as a contact number.  Depending on how often you are home, it may be better for you.  I have a cell, but never listed that number because a) I got it after applying and b) most of the time it sits on the shelf at home or in my locker at work.

The conversations with CFRC were generally not long, and they would only call you when necessary.  In fact, most of my communication with my recruiter has been via e-mail.

Heres a little trick I've learned. Make a subtle joke about joining, or someone else joining and observe their reaction. By their reaction, you can then determine which is the best course of action, and whether you have anything to worry about in the first place.

That goes for mommy, dad on the other hand just needs a little information, so provide. Communication is key....

That's a good trick and I have done it. (wasn't a joke but just random comments)
Moms reaction was a little different then what I was thinking. she stopped  what she doing and looked at me and started a conversation on the subject of the army and the CF and general.
Dad well to say all he needs is information is a little bit of a under statement. He needs a lot, he is completely misinformed and has a over all BAD outlook on everything to do with the CF. To supply him with info. (talking to a recruiter, reading paper work, reading this site) would be a effort that wouldn't work, this I can say with confidence since I have all ready tried sliping in little facts about army life and he is vary fast on debunking anything I say and then he spends the rest of the day all pissed off and given me lectures on what he believes are all the negative points of a army life. I refure to the last post I made above.

My dad found a informational CD for the CF laying out, and started saying.
And I quote. â Å“you wouldn't join the army would you?â ? without me answering he just keep talking â Å“You know those poor buggers spend there life and live on a base some whereâ ? and then he said good night and went up to bed.  I am really confused....

Thanks for time in thoughts into this situation. :salute:

I also agree with Hollywood Hitman.

Your folks might not understand now, but chances are they will understand eventually. When one of my best friends joined, his parents expected him to drop out of Basic, come home, and get a "real job". Today he's a Corporal with 6 years in, happily married, and he still loves going to work. His parents couldn't have wished for anything better for him. Even if they never understand (and some never do), the fact remains that you're old enough to take responsibility for your life. If you join, you will no longer be dependant on your parents for a place to live and food to eat.

But if you don't join, thats fine by me. The army needs men and women who can take action, and be accountable for it. If thats not you, then don't even bother applying. But if YOU choose to take your life in your hands then IT WILL BE your emancipation, which I think is something you've been craving for awhile now.

Back