• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Oct 06: Day of Protest Against the CF (& Canadian war crimes against an occupied people)

These protesters remind me of a saying, goes something like "The blind leading the blind" :brickwall:

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

It's easy to figure out the protesters' philosophy, actually - like the anti-nuke movement during the cold war, if the USA does it, it's bad; if someone does the same thing as the USA (no matter whether it's worthwhile, or for different reasons), it's bad, too; the opponents (the Soviets, the Palestinians, Iran, North Korea, whoever) are the hard done by, only doing things defensively because of the USA.

I bet half of these people think we are in Iraq (got asked that question today).  Or then again I bet half the people out there think that Iraq and Afghanistan are the same place  :( .

Even though I shouldn't be surprised... I still am amazed at the incredible naïveté of the media and therefore the people that watch and listen to the so-called journalists. All the people that won't get off their duffers and help any one in need. But they are only willing to sit in their arm chair, watch TV and then make their opinions based on what they see on the tube !

D-uh!  :brickwall:

The media is not as stupid and ill-informed as some people think.  They are the ones who dictate the policy direction in this country through their coverage of specific issues.  Lately, Afghanistan has become a hot issue because they have made it so.  In the next election campaign, look for more people to become vocally against A-stan because they know they will get on the 6 o'clock news.  Johnny and Susy Six-Pack will watch the news with their 1.6 kids and be influenced to ask questions of their government or vote against the governing party.  The media has already had their effect because everyone is talking about A-stan, even though things seem to be fairly quiet there at the moment.

Protesters demand withdrawal from Afghanistan
Updated Sat. Oct. 28 2006 11:20 PM ET

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061028/afghanistan_protests_061028/20061028?hub=TopStories

CTV.ca News Staff

Groups of people rallied in cities and communities across Canada on Saturday, demanding the withdrawal of this country's troops from the NATO-led military mission in Afghanistan.

"Troops out now!" was a common chant by demonstrators across the country. Many seemed opposed to the fact Canada was involved in combat in Afghanistan, rather than carrying out a traditional peacekeeping mission.

There were nearly 200 people protesting and waving placards in Halifax, almost 500 marching in Montreal and 600 in Vancouver.

CTV News' Denelle Balfour reported there were several hundred people attending the Toronto rally, which gathered outside the downtown U.S. consulate.

Speaking from the Toronto rally, NDP Leader Jack Layton told CTV Newsnet that Canadians are not protesting to discourage the troops, but rather to support them.

"We are raising these questions to support our troops," Layton said. "Our job as citizens is to make sure we're asking them to do the right thing in the world ... there is a sense that this mission is the wrong mission for Canada and that it is not helping to achieve the goals we all have in mind for Afghanistan."

With a report from CTV's Denelle Balfour and files from The Canadian Press

Some of us over here saw it on the news... the common reaction to those interviews was chuckling and head-shaking.  Can't take those folks too seriously.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=874d69c4-5476-4e3a-ada3-12032dea7c3b&k=59344
At least 500 anti-war protesters demonstrated in Vancouver. Meanwhile, another 100 activists marched in Edmonton.

“The Canadian government should recognize the right of the people to make democracy by themselves,” said Hosein Taghaddos, 26, a University of Alberta student who participated in the protest march. “They don’t have any right to occupy other regions in the name of democracy.”
Okay.  Does the democratically elected government of Afghanistan not have a right to ask for international help?  Should we tell them to go pound salt?  Do we not have an obligation to rebuild the nation that we previously were at war with?

MCG said:
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=874d69c4-5476-4e3a-ada3-12032dea7c3b&k=59344Okay.  Does the democratically elected government of Afghanistan not have a right to ask for international help?  Should we tell them to go pound salt?  Do we not have an obligation to rebuild the nation that we previously were at war with?

See if your a protester, it sounds legit.

If you type that garbage on the site... it's called being a troll.

*not you MCG... the quote from your post i'm referring too

In the end, we could be doing 100% humanitarian aid and the fact that members are slinging C7's will be enough for people to protest. I've tried asking myself why they are so against us but its useless. People will always feel this need to oppose what we do, mostly out of ignorance and stupidity. Why do so many people protest, because they like to believe that everything the west does in some way is for a "hidden agenda". People feel a need to protest about something they feel is a "worthy cause" even though its out of ignorance more then anything. They liken this to Vietnam, even though its nothing like Vietnam.

Does anybody else understand what I'm saying, I'm confusing myself even?

In one of the CTV online stories, I found this interesting tidbit (and in no other media account I've looked at):

"However, the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute released a poll Saturday that found 55 per cent of Canadians support dangerous missions for the military if they believe the objectives are just."

Checked the CDFAI site, but nothing there yet - maybe tomorrow?

Also, I'm hearing the statement "37 cities" on a lot of media accounts.  I wonder how many media outlets have a list of the cities?  Hmm....

Canadians are ready to support war: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52464.0.html

Protesters urge end to Afghan mission

Last Updated: Saturday, October 28, 2006 | 8:57 PM ET
CBC News

Demonstrators calling for Canadian troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan braved inclement weather in cities across the country to take part in rallies called by labour groups, peace activists and Muslim organizations.

Turnout was mixed, depending on weather conditions. In driving snow in Edmonton, fewer than 100 people marched, while several hundred braved the rain in Montreal.

Francisco Juarez, who was fined by the Canadian forces and released from the reserves for refusing to train for Afghanistan, took part in the rally in Toronto.Francisco Juarez, who was fined by the Canadian forces and released from the reserves for refusing to train for Afghanistan, took part in the rally in Toronto.
    CBC

The crowds included a few people with military experience.

Francisco Juarez, a demonstrator in Toronto, was fined by the Canadian army reserves and released earlier this year after he refused to train for the Afghan campaign.

"Today I'm here at the protest because I feel that in whatever way I can, I need to assist in engaging Canadians in a broader debate: the issues of why we're in Afghanistan and what the priorities are in Afghanistan for our Canadian Forces."

At rallies in Toronto and Hamilton, Ont., participants carried placards that read, "War resisters are welcome."
Protesters in Halifax carried a large banner that said, "You can't plant war and expect to harvest peace." Demonstrations also took place in St. John's, Quebec City and Vancouver.

The modest crowds turned out as a poll suggested a majority of Canadians continue to support Canada's military role in Afghanistan.

The first major deployment of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan was in February 2002. Canada's military contingent there now numbers more than 2,000; 43 soldiers have been killed and more than 200 injured in the campaign.
with files from the Canadian Press

Is this the same joker from before, or another master of the BS? (Mr. Juarez)

The first major deployment of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan was in February 2002. Canada's military contingent there now numbers more than 2,000; 43 soldiers have been killed and more than 200 injured in the campaign.
with files from the Canadian Press

LAst time i checked there were only 42 soldiers killed, they can't even get there facts right

Klc said:
Is this the same joker from before, or another master of the BS? (Mr. Juarez)
Yes: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50044.0.html

Me, I support lefties bleeding hearts. 

Mind you, I prefer when they are on the ground about three feet behind the exit wound, but anyway you can get them there is fine. 

Hmm? It means something else?  ???

zipperhead_cop said:
Me, I support lefties bleeding hearts. 

Mind you, I prefer when they are on the ground about three feet behind the exit wound, but anyway you can get them there is fine. 

*smile* But I'm a tree hugging, demand side economics supporting, socially progressive leftie.  Why would you ever want to hurt me?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2006/10/29/2165324-sun.html
"In Toronto, several hundred people huddled outside the U.S. Consulate as NDP Leader Jack Layton repeated his call for Canadian troops to be brought home."

I live not to far from University Ave where the "protest" was.  From my experience if there were less than a thousand people on the street in front of the consulate in the middle of the day it is “easy walking”. This is the city where two thousand people will show up just to be outside Much Music when a Christmas tree is being thrown from the building. The NDP membership in Toronto Center is 2000+ and in Trinity /Spadina they have comparable numbers. (plus the other ridings that are nearby)  It means that they couldn’t even get out 20% of their card carrying members that live within a 30 minute walk of the event!

“Few show up for anti-war protests”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/537264.html

I hate to read to much into things,  but I think the Canadian people have listened to the position of the anti-war crowd and responded with all the energy that their position deserves,  deafening silence.

Back