• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 CAF Recruiting Ad

Nope. I spend enough time every fall freezing and soaking wet waiting for Bambi or Smokey to walk in front of me to know the Army's version of camping with guns is for the pongos.

That's the difference between you and Army guys. At least the Army guys are smart enough to get paid to be uncomfortable. ;)

That's the difference between you and Army guys. At least the Army guys are smart enough to get paid to be uncomfortable. ;)

Pineapple Express Mistake GIF

Being "under the thumb" of the Code of Service Discipline is a whole other level to experience that civilians and part timers (PRes) will never fully comprehend.

Last edited:
Being "under the thumb" of the CDS is a whole other level to experience that civilians and part timers (PRes) will never fully comprehend.
I agree, I don't even know where I will be living in six months... Could still be in Ottawa, could be on a coast, or pretty much anywhere in-between.

Not that uncommon in the civi world. Maybe not so much 'take them when you are told' as told - or at least limited, to when you can take them.

Right.

Vacations will be scheduled in accordance with employees’ seniority, and the requirements of operations.

We maxed-out at 7 weeks vacation after 30 years.

Employees can take a leave of absence with pay, for the two week period of absence, to attend the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Training Program.

That was during summer "prime time" vacation bids. The most in-demand time of the year.

It meant someone - with more seniority than me - would be bumped off his summer vacation pick due to "the requirements of operations".

Wasn't my fault. Didn't make the rules, just played the game. But, it never went over well. "I can't take my kids to the Fu%$ing cottage because you want to go play soldier!!"

Not that uncommon in the civi world. Maybe not so much 'take them when you are told' as told - or at least limited, to when you can take them.
I know my friends in the airline industry definitely do not get to pick their holidays until they're senior enough.

Ok, grammar failed me once again. I meant to say that in some professions, services and industries, it is not uncommon to be told when you can't take annual leave. Obviously, employers need to maintain a minimal level of staffing to do whatever they do. Some manage it by contract, lottery, etc. and seniority is generally a significant factor. Canada being Canada, the summer months are choke points in many industries.

Honestly the Military needs to go where the work force is to recruit. That means the malls, schools, training facilities, work job fairs. Hit them up all the time every time.
The work for is on instagram, Facebook, TikTok (awkward), twitter, twitch, ect a lot more then they are in malls and schools. Same with job fairs. Digitial first is smart.

Being "under the thumb" of the Code of Service Discipline is a whole other level to experience that civilians and part timers (PRes) will never fully comprehend.
Like having charges laid against you (wrongfully), not being told they were laid. The Local AJAG recommend against charges so they pass it off to my unit to charge me, again another AJAG recommends not charging , Going away the following summer to Instruct, be blind sided by the charges that I did not know were laid against me.
The morning of my charges I get a phone call from Unit My Ops WO and my TSM telling me to keep my mouth shut they were trying to find someone to have my back as a Reservist in a Regular Force world is difficult.
Being told by my assisting Officer to plead guilty and they were going to slap me on the wrist. I told him I would plead guilty if they could answer 10 simple questions in the matter. There was some yelling between him, the BSM, WATC Det CO and SSM.
When my Assisting Officer came back his words were. My the bastards prove your guilty. They were looking for 30 days CB and or $1500-2000fine.
The School CO and SSM both perjured themselves on the stand, neither could answer simple questions but offered their expert opinions.
Doing the hatless dance, being charged for Negligent duties and conduct prejudice to good order. Turns out the #1 of the Gun at time gave directions during the open action but did not see the crest in front of the Gun, me as the 2ic figured he had everything in order. Round impacted shortly In front of the gun. He took full responsibility for the incident but the Regs didn't want to tarnish a Regular Force guy, instead wanted to stick it to the MOLITA guy. To this day My #1 has my utmost respect, along with my assisting Officer and the Safety Officer who was conveniently took a early Posting trip and not available that day as a witness to the Court.

Nope we don't understand Military or comprehend the Code of Service Discipline. I understand how vindictive it is and how manipulative it was. That charge followed me when applying for another job elsewhere, lets say pretty disappointing that a charge I was found not guilty nor responsible for had a major attribute to not being hired elsewhere. Not able to comprehend how the Code of Service Discipline is.

Like having charges laid against you (wrongfully), not being told they were laid. The Local AJAG recommend against charges so they pass it off to my unit to charge me, again another AJAG recommends not charging , Going away the following summer to Instruct, be blind sided by the charges that I did not know were laid against me.
The morning of my charges I get a phone call from Unit My Ops WO and my TSM telling me to keep my mouth shut they were trying to find someone to have my back as a Reservist in a Regular Force world is difficult.
Being told by my assisting Officer to plead guilty and they were going to slap me on the wrist. I told him I would plead guilty if they could answer 10 simple questions in the matter. There was some yelling between him, the BSM, WATC Det CO and SSM.
When my Assisting Officer came back his words were. My the bastards prove your guilty. They were looking for 30 days CB and or $1500-2000fine.
The School CO and SSM both perjured themselves on the stand, neither could answer simple questions but offered their expert opinions.
Doing the hatless dance, being charged for Negligent duties and conduct prejudice to good order. Turns out the #1 of the Gun at time gave directions during the open action but did not see the crest in front of the Gun, me as the 2ic figured he had everything in order. Round impacted shortly In front of the gun. He took full responsibility for the incident but the Regs didn't want to tarnish a Regular Force guy, instead wanted to stick it to the MOLITA guy. To this day My #1 has my utmost respect, along with my assisting Officer and the Safety Officer who was conveniently took a early Posting trip and not available that day as a witness to the Court.

Nope we don't understand Military or comprehend the Code of Service Discipline. I understand how vindictive it is and how manipulative it was. That charge followed me when applying for another job elsewhere, lets say pretty disappointing that a charge I was found not guilty nor responsible for had a major attribute to not being hired elsewhere. Not able to comprehend how the Code of Service Discipline is.

I assume you're venting about a bad experience prolonged over class B or C periods of service? I'm not going to suggest how you ought to feel about that. But if you have only ever been in the reserves you still have no comprehension of living under the CSD 24/7 for 20-30 years continuously. It is not the same.

I assume you're venting about a bad experience prolonged over class B or C periods of service? I'm not going to suggest how you ought to feel about that. But if you have only ever been in the reserves you still have no comprehension of living under the CSD 24/7 for 20-30 years continuously. It is not the same.
I was Regular Force also thanks.
I also worked in industry where the rules were much less forgiving then the Military ever was even as a Reservist.

I was Regular Force also thanks.
I also worked in industry where the rules were much less forgiving then the Military ever was even as a Reservist.
So this is a needless exchange then. Though, I'll point out in private industry you can just quite that same day.

So this is a needless exchange then. Though, I'll point out in private industry you can just quite that same day.
LOL, you can quite in the military also. But one has to have a equal to better paying job and benefits to go to or risk loosing everything.

LOL, you can quite in the military also. But one has to have a equal to better paying job and benefits to go to or risk loosing everything.
You can't just quit the CAF. If you walked out you would be absent without authority. There is a voluntary release process that requires your chain of command to manage and takes several months, maybe the very rare exception can be done in 30 days. This is just one of the many extraordinary differences.

I'm not advocating right/wrong, I'm indifferent. My point remains about the vast difference being subject to the CSD as a full-time service member.

I don't really want to hijack this thread any further. Every reg force member who has thought about leaving knows exactly what I am talking about.

You don't have to have an equal or better paying job and benefits. Anecdotal, but most of the people I know who VR'd have a lower salary but are much happier overall. The salary and benefits can be increased over time. People just ended up cancelling their Disney+ subscriptions to offset the decreased salary.

Anecdotal, but most of the people I know who VR'd have a lower salary but are much happier overall.
Interesting, since the #1 thing people say on social media (CAF Reddit, here, etc) is to have higher pay, since they can't afford to live.

Hell, when some higher-ups suggested that pay wasn't the issue retaining folks, they were (and still are) loudly lambasted on that remark. Take a read at any number of CAF Reddit comments and "I'll stay in if they pay me more" is a general theme.

But you're saying that the people you know left the CAF for a lower paying job (that people are struggling to get by already) and they're happier. That would seem to go against the narrative above then.

Back