• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 CAF Recruiting Ad

Yet Lots of Infantry get degrees, leave and work for technical jobs.
It's ok, everyone wants to be Infantry, until it's time to do Infantry things πŸ˜‰

200.gif

We thankfully don't set policy based on the anecdotes of "lots of" people having higher aptitudes than the bare minimum.

We saw it happen with the ACISS debacle, where we had folks scrape in on the bottom level for one sub occ, then get put over into a more technical one. Lots of calls to CMP to get folks COTed or VOTed out of the trade because "while CFAT standard was met, PRB Numero Tres recommends COT."

I get that not everyone heading into the Combat Arms is unintelligent, but I also know that the folks we are targeting to fill technical roles don't necessarily have "shoot a bad guy in the face" as their motivation to join the CAF. We are the beggars in this situation, we need to lean into that aspect of recruiting.
So some are unintelligent?

🀣🀣🀣🀣

The CAF can increase recruiting with two things:

Woo Hoo Video Games GIF by Call of Duty

Federal Reserve Bitcoin Meme GIF

I'm cool if they blow shit up. The video is stupid because it literally doesn't show anything the CAF actually does.

More guns, more explosions, more actual adrenaline!

But the CAF def doesn't have a money printer πŸ˜‰

I initially thought the video was supposed to highlight the things you can do on leave.

Do we still blow shit up or just train countries to blow shit up?

I initially thought the video was supposed to highlight the things you can do on leave.

Do we still blow shit up or just train countries to blow shit up?
When is the last time you blew shit up at work?

I know the last time I did was in 2007, in Kandahar. That's ~16 years ago, but I'm still in the CAF, and still doing required work for the the system to function.

Like @dimsum and I pointed out, we aren't struggling to recruit the "blow shit up" crowd. Focusing our recruiting on the people who are already pre-disposed to want to join is "preaching to the choir". We need to make the CAF less "Hollywood" and foreign to average Canadians, you do that by portraying CAF members as normal people with a different job.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but more of the same stock footage of CF-18s, Griffons, Leopards, and frigates hasn't been working.

This may come as a surprise to some, but the primary purpose of most occupations isn't fighting...

I don't want Met Techs who join to kick ass and take names, they get bored and quit or drag their section's morale down. I want Met Techs who are interested in becoming proficient forecasters and briefers, that provide value added information to decision makers.

My understanding is that recruiting the combat trades isn't an issue right now, so we need to attract the people not looking to kick in doors and shoot people in the face.

But. But. UoS! Soldier first!!!

😁

When is the last time you blew shit up at work?

I know the last time I did was in 2007, in Kandahar. That's ~16 years ago, but I'm still in the CAF, and still doing required work for the the system to function.

Like @dimsum and I pointed out, we aren't struggling to recruit the "blow shit up" crowd. Focusing our recruiting on the people who are already pre-disposed to want to join is "preaching to the choir". We need to make the CAF less "Hollywood" and foreign to average Canadians, you do that by portraying CAF members as normal people with a different job.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but more of the same stock footage of CF-18s, Griffons, Leopards, and frigates hasn't been working.
The CAF is trying its best not to be a Military and it's doing a good job 🀣

Last edited:
But. But. UoS! Soldier first!!!

😁
U of S is not soldier first. It is bare minimum standards. Whiny infantry dudes then complain that people whose job is other than to close with and destroy the enemy meet the standard.

interestingly, despite that whining, the Infantry has yet to ever establish a valid fitness test for The Infantry.

U of S is not soldier first. It is bare minimum standards. Whiny infantry dudes then complain that people whose job is other than to close with and destroy the enemy meet the standard.

interestingly, despite that whining, the Infantry has yet to ever establish a valid fitness test for The Infantry.

Can we change the wording in the DAOD then? πŸ™‚

14B87CFD-A378-441F-9F2D-9D6ABA8C83A1.png

Some of us mentally cut that out, and like to think only about " CAF members are liable to perform general military duties and common defence and security duties, not just the duties of their military occupation or occupation specification."

But yes, the DAOD is under revision (for good reasons).

Can we change the wording in the DAOD then? πŸ™‚

View attachment 76624
How's that for an anecdote 🀣

Alternatively, the CAF isn't just combat arms....

If you want people to fix your LAV/Leo/F-35, you need to attract a different crowd than the ones who want to drive those systems in combat.

If only we could test our recruiting methods against one and other.

The CAF has tried this style of recruiting before. It never works 🀣

There is a decently large section of the working public who don't have 4 or 5 weeks Annual leave, plus Stat, Short, Special, random "sports days", and the other types of leave we get.

Actually, I just thought of another ad:

Same visuals

"25 Annual days leave per year, without dipping into holidays."

Cornflake and FORCES.CA

End.

This may come as a surprise to some, but the primary purpose of most occupations isn't fighting...

I don't want Met Techs who join to kick ass and take names, they get bored and quit or drag their section's morale down. I want Met Techs who are interested in becoming proficient forecasters and briefers, that provide value added information to decision makers.

My understanding is that recruiting the combat trades isn't an issue right now, so we need to attract the people not looking to kick in doors and shoot people in the face.

What is comforting is am I seeing the de-combat arms / armyness of everything CAF. And its desperately needed.

To employ a Meteorologist one has to understand it is a niche market. around 10,000 people employed in the profession in Canada. Those are not big numbers considering the importance of the job. The Military is on the low end of the pay scale for this occupation.
Why not bid the job off as do 5-10 years Combat Arms and we move you to a Trade occupation. (one of the issues here is usually the person is worn out at that point and done with field work and most jobs require field work). You might get another 5-10 years before they jump ship to a private company or other Gov service.
Honestly the Military needs to go where the work force is to recruit. That means the malls, schools, training facilities, work job fairs. Hit them up all the time every time.

The last thing I want in my trade is another former infanteer who is now bitter and chuffed in my trade.

The idea that the combat arms should be some sort gateway into the forces is ridiculous. And really just reinforces that the combat arms lack the grasp of the scope of operations the CAF does day in and day out.

Back