• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Important to see who doesn't endorse him, as that will point to who will run against.
What perked my interest is when he was still in university he penned an editorial arguing for a two term limit for all politicians...wonder of he still thinks that

So the standard insult against Trudeau was he is just a drama teacher and they want to run a professional politician with zero life experience against him, and his primary role was attack dog?

Punchable face aside, this is an awful idea. Really need someone who is actually competent at has experience outside Parliament at doing stuff.

Wish Singh was with another party, he's currently the one party leader that seems like a useful human being, and I don't see anyone on the CPC right now that is interested in running that has basic competences.

So the standard insult against Trudeau was he is just a drama teacher and they want to run a professional politician with zero life experience against him, and his primary role was attack dog?

Punchable face aside, this is an awful idea. Really need someone who is actually competent at has experience outside Parliament at doing stuff.

Wish Singh was with another party, he's currently the one party leader that seems like a useful human being, and I don't see anyone on the CPC right now that is interested in running that has basic competences.
His record isn't terrible, federal accountability act, election reform to end vouching and expand ID requirements, helped with the $4 billion compensation package for residential schools. I'm willing to give him a shot, he may surprise us.

Poilievre's Reform Party and Canadian Alliance pedigree doesn't make me fell warm and fuzzy about him.

I'm a little heartened by the fact that the Campaign Life Coalition voteprolife.ca website considers him unsupportable although a detailed reading shows he is only opposed to some of their more strident criteria.

Let's see what else crawls out of the woodwork.

:unsure:

Poilievre's Reform Party and Canadian Alliance pedigree doesn't make me fell warm and fuzzy about him.

I'm a little heartened by the fact that the Campaign Life Coalition voteprolife.ca website considers him unsupportable although a detailed reading shows he is only opposed to some of their more strident criteria.

The fact that he appeals to a certain “segment” is enough info for me.

I think he is a hard working and very good MP. He’s not a leader.

He’ll be a strong contender for the next ex leader of the opposition I think. I think Leslyn Lewis might give him a run for his money though.

It's entirely possible internal politics of the party are trying to make this a narrow field in order to speed up this process. If the want to be ready for the next election, this will need to be a pretty snap leadership race and vote.

He’s going to need to show considerably more depth in order to sell himself as something more than an attack dog. We all know the CPC can attack. He now needs to somehow mollify the social conservative right within the party in order to become their leader, while preserving his ability to credibly appeal to the persuadable centre in the electorate. This is the challenge that was ultimately fatal to O’Toole as leader. Will Poilievre be able to somehow do it better?

I just get warm feelings all over when people dwell on the superficialities. I especially enjoyed the attacks on Harper, which basically summed up to "we don't like confident introverts".

Drama teacher's assistant is not life experience.Surfing on the tax payer dime, is not life experience. Carrying water for the WEF and China is life experience, but not the kind Canada needs.
So what life experiences does PP?
As someone else previously pointed out, he’s never worked a day outside of politics. A bit hard to say that he’s had a greater depth of life experiences and know what working in the business world is like.
Just saying.

He now needs to somehow mollify the social conservative right within the party in order to become their leader, while preserving his ability to credibly appeal to the persuadable centre in the electorate. This is the challenge that was ultimately fatal to O’Toole as leader. Will Poilievre be able to somehow do it better?
I'm not very confident that anyone can do that.

I participated in the policy submission process and watched the discussion of them during the last convention. Talk about watching sausages being made. The good thing was they were organized and got through the agenda while the NDP weren't able to do that during theirs.

That said, these are the people who voted down a weak, motherhood proposal on climate change. Do not for one minute underestimate the sheer single-minded stubbornness of the delegates in the CPC.

🍻

While an effective attack dog, I do not see him being a leader able to unite a fractured party or able to appeal to those who aren't already Tory partisans. I like his attacks, but as Navy_Pete says, he does have a very punchable face.
The most punchable face in North America is on the skull of our PM. Brandon is right there also, but he'd disappear as a cloud of dust.

The most punchable face in North America is on the skull of our PM. Brandon is right there also, but he'd disappear as a cloud of dust.
I seem to recall Trudeau handling himself alright in his boxing match with Patrick Brazeau. Although, admittedly, perhaps Trudeau was a tougher opponent than Brazeau was used to…

I seem to recall Trudeau handling himself alright in his boxing match with Patrick Brazeau. Although, admittedly, perhaps Trudeau was a tougher opponent than Brazeau was used to…
Boom!

I had one encounter with Polievre. He came to NDHQ Sgt & WOs Mess on Remembrance Day one year. Stood around, made no attempt to greet anyone, had one word answers and left after around 15 minutes. Was not impressive, left a very weasel-like impression.

I had one encounter with Polievre. He came to NDHQ Sgt & WOs Mess on Remembrance Day one year. Stood around, made no attempt to greet anyone, had one word answers and left after around 15 minutes. Was not impressive, left a very weasel-like impression.
Out of curiosity how long ago was that?

So to some of you, facial appearances matter that much? Wow.

I am behind PP.

"Weasle" is exactly how I've described PP for years. I admire her fiscal conservatism, but he's the worst kind of politician in two ways: 1. Not a word comes out of his mouth that isn't carefully curated in advance, and 2. If you (the opposition) says anything that could be twisted, he will twist it apart and rip to shreds with your own words, even if you had clarified your words, and regardless if PP (bring, assumably, a smart guy) understands fully what you meant. That kind of politician. A Weasle. There's lot sof them, but he's a big one.

Back