• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

If you’ve watched PP in committee hearings you’d see he actually holds people accountable, including senior bureaucrats.
Tom Mulcair was great at that as well as opposition leader.

He turned into a really good Prime Minis....wait.

He’s an opportunist. Looking for sound bites and any air time he can get.

Like I said . Good MP. But that’s as far as I will go.
He's also smart and very, very well briefed by a good staff.

He sticks pretty close to his assigned knitting ~ finance, the economy, industry ~ which makes the leader happy. And he learned at the feet of some good political leaders.

Is he likely to be a good leader? Did the best soldier, the CO's and the RSM"s favourite, work his/her way up to RSM? Did the best subaltern become a good colonel and a general? Or did the best sergeants and the best officers work their way to the top of heap by being ~ rather then just acting ~ better?

Please, I am NOT anti-Polievre; but I am not persuaded ... not yet.

He’s an opportunist. Looking for sound bites and any air time he can get.

Like I said . Good MP. But that’s as far as I will go.
He isn’t my style, for sure, but your two points above…point 1…which politician isn’t?…point 2…well at least he’s that…many others are not.

He isn’t my style, for sure, but your two points above…point 1…which politician isn’t?…point 2…well at least he’s that…many others are not.
He seems to do it more than most. But he has ambition I guess.

I'm not anti-Poilievre and I'm not sure a better choice is on offer, but ...

What the Conservative Party needs is a leader with a plan to win seats ~ lots of seats ~ in the suburbs around Vancouver and in the Toronto/Golden Horseshoe regions while not losing (much of) the party's Western base.

I think there is a huge disconnect, in the Conservative ranks between those who think as I do ~ who want back-to-back-to-back socially moderate, moderately progressive and fiscally hawkish Conservative governments of the next dozen years ~ and those who want the Conservative Party to be an ideologically pure home for the social-conservatives who make up about 10% to 15% of the electorate.

My suspicion is that the latter group is in the ascendant right now ... the next few weeks/months will be interesting.
:whistle:

I would vote for him.
I have voted for him and many years ago when I was heavily involved in the PC party I helped work on his leadership campaign back in the Windsor area.
I’m just not certain if that ship has sailed or not. I still like Mike Chong.

I have voted for him and many years ago when I was heavily involved in the PC party I helped work on his leadership campaign back in the Windsor area.
I’m just not certain if that ship has sailed or not. I still like Mike Chong.
One would have to do the math, re: Vancouver vs Quebec realignment to blue, to offset the LPC’s vote efficiency. I like both Charest and Chong. I have met Charest in person; he’s very personable, mindful and dedicated. He was and would make again an excellent leader, very much in the type that Mr. Campbell notes earlier - he knows how to rebuild and move forward. Mike Chong I think would also be an excellent leader, both for his personal dedication, but also his strong principled stand against manipulation of Canadian citizens and national institutions by China. My concern lies in the introspective, retrenching view of the CPC party ship, vice visionary forward movement…I’m not sure the CPC has it in them.

... My concern lies in the introspective, retrenching view of the CPC party ship, vice visionary forward movement…I’m not sure the CPC has it in them.
I'd have to agree with you & Halifax Tar on this one -- if the incumbent was turfed (in whole or in part) because he wasn't extreme enough, as much as I like Charest, too, I wouldn't bet my loonie on him right this second.

I'd have to agree with you & Halifax Tar on this one -- if the incumbent was turfed (in whole or in part) because he wasn't extreme enough, as much as I like Charest, too, I wouldn't bet my loonie on him right this second.

Bring back Joe Clark lol

Tim Houston is doing pretty well out here and our NS PC party is not connected to the CPCs. Perhaps the bluenosers can create a way forward for those of us who are red torries and blue liberals.

Possibly someone from the PC will join the fray, Mr. Jean Charest.

I hope that Mr. Michael Chong will throw his hat into the ring too.

Despite being a long time PC Supporter I hesitated in buying a membership in the CPC after I retired. With the ongoing Trucker's Convoy Protest and the CPC's early stance I decided not too. If any of these two individuals join the race I will join the CPC for a chance to vote for one of them.

Bring back the PC.

Despite being a long time PC Supporter I hesitated in buying a membership in the CPC after I retired. With the ongoing Trucker's Convoy Protest and the CPC's early stance I decided not too. If any of these two individuals join the race I will join the CPC for a chance to vote for one of them.

Bring back the PC.
I've voted for Mr Charest before and I would do it again.

Bring back the PC.
John Iveson sees a case for something out there for the moderate progressives.

A good article by John Ivison. He writes on topical issues of interest and I generally agree with what he says.

He hits the head with the hypocrisy of Mr. Pierre Poilievre with his stance to the Trucker's protest vice his attitude towards 2020 Indigenous rail blockades. IMO the CPC is more of a pouplist party now swaying to whatever is the changing moods of the most vocal, not the majority, of the population.

Whatever happened to the PC / CPC Party that took a well reasoned principled stance that was based on the best interests of the country as a whole and not for political grandstanding? Today they look very much like the Liberal Party in this regard.

I detest the current Liberal Party which is now even more left than the NDP - to be clear their policies not the people.

I honestly don't know who to vote for if a federal election was held today. I would probably spoil my vote and write in where are the Progressive Conservatives?.

A good article by John Ivison. He writes on topical issues of interest and I generally agree with what he says.

He hits the head with the hypocrisy of Mr. Pierre Poilievre with his stance to the Trucker's protest vice his attitude towards 2020 Indigenous rail blockades. IMO the CPC is more of a pouplist party now swaying to whatever is the changing moods of the most vocal, not the majority, of the population.

Whatever happened to the PC / CPC Party that took a well reasoned principled stance that was based on the best interests of the country as a whole and not for political grandstanding? Today they look very much like the Liberal Party in this regard.

I detest the current Liberal Party which is now even more left than the NDP - to be clear their policies not the people.

I honestly don't know who to vote for if a federal election was held today. I would probably spoil my vote and write in a Progressive Conservative candidate.
Pierre Polievre is trying to capture the populist vote. The F*ck Trudeau crowd love him. That is the level of discourse and politics that he represents and is courting.

Back