• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2013 FY DEO Pilot Selection

I am confused here.  Sorry to sound ignorant as I just joined, but isn't the merit board a different thing than air crew selection?  Does a merit board happen every week?  That is what I am getting from this page.  I did air crew selectoon in Nov., so do i have to do another interview?!  I was told I was "merited," so am I just waiting to be chosen?  Great forum, btw!

cleave said:
I am confused here.  Sorry to sound ignorant as I just joined, but isn't the merit board a different thing than air crew selection?  Does a merit board happen every week?  That is what I am getting from this page.  I did air crew selectoon in Nov., so do i have to do another interview?!  I was told I was "merited," so am I just waiting to be chosen?  Great forum, btw!

If your applying for DEO Pilot, then your process would look something like this.......CFAT/TSD, Initial Medical, Aircrew Selection/Aircrew Medical, Interview and Merit Listed.

So your interview will normally be done sometime after returning from Aircrew Selection and sometimes before receipt of the Aircrew Medical, which can take about 2 months to be processed.  Once the Interview is done and the Air Factor awarded, then you are merit listed and ready for the next selection.

DAA said:
If your applying for DEO Pilot, then your process would look something like this.......CFAT/TSD, Initial Medical, Aircrew Selection/Aircrew Medical, Interview and Merit Listed.

So your interview will normally be done sometime after returning from Aircrew Selection and sometimes before receipt of the Aircrew Medical, which can take about 2 months to be processed.  Once the Interview is done and the Air Factor awarded, then you are merit listed and ready for the next selection.

Don't know if this is usual but my process for DEO pilot was : CFAT/TSD, Initial Medical, Interview. Now, I'm waiting a date to go to the Aircrew Selection/Aircrew Medical.

My process was different.  CFAT, Interview, Medical, Aircrew Selection, Merit.  So merit board does not happen every week.  Got it.  How often does it happen?  Was there one last week like was already said?  Thank you for the quick replies Mr/Ms. DAA and Mab186!

DAA said:
The longest delay in the process, is waiting for the "Air Factor" to be assigned which can take on average 2 months from the time individuals have completed ASC in Trenton.  So whilst the interview may have taken place, the AF is still outstanding and without that, you can't be Merit Listed.

And to answer your/their question(s), I can't argue with Mab163's post other than to say at this point in time, probably weekly and also add 81 to his number.

DAA, what about for fiscal year 2014/2015? Any numbers yet?

Also, my file manager told me that everyone must pass the medical and interview before going to Trenton (and have their files fully processed too).

Either way, I was told today that since I will be graduating in December, my interview is going to be postponed to September. Not exactly the best of news since I am fully prepared:
  • suit back from the cleaners, new shirt and tie
  • 6 hours worth of shoe polishing (with satisfactory results for a civilian might I add)
  • about 50 pages of notes combining the pilot occupation, the CAF/RCAF, and personal past experiences
  • countless hours doing research on these forums and other CAF/DND websites
  • I even took notes while watching Basic Up and Jetstream when the instructors talk to the camera about what they expect from the students
  • and a fresh haircut
Oh well!

I'm going to hand in my blood/urine/eye sight medical documents in a few weeks and then go MIA until the end of the summer.

Cheers.

Matt

matthew1786 said:
DAA, what about for fiscal year 2014/2015? Any numbers yet?

I believe DAA already answered this question. See below:

Quote from: DAA on February 11, 2014, 19:45:04
And to answer your/their question(s), I can't argue with Mab163's post other than to say at this point in time, probably weekly and also add 81 to his number.

I just received, (and accepted this time :nod:), an offer for BMOQ starting May 5.  I don't know total numbers, but things must be opening up for the new fiscal year.

jdl902 said:
I just received, (and accepted this time :nod:), an offer for BMOQ starting May 5.  I don't know total numbers, but things must be opening up for the new fiscal year.

Congratulations jdl902!! Have you done the new pilot aptitude tests in Trenton? Any advice?

Me, I'm still waiting an appointment to go to Trenton. I've tried 3 times to reach the Corporal in charge of my file without success. I've left two voice mails... I hope to hear something soon and cross my fingers for BMOQ in May.

I did the new ASC test and my best advice would be to get plenty of sleep beforehand, it's a real brain burner!  There's not much you can do to prepare for it in advance.  Overall it's a great experience, especially if you get selected.

Let's bring this thread back to life, shall we? :)

So browsing this thread, I think some people here may be able to provide some insight into my concern. What I am wondering about is if it is common to be merit listed for DEO pilot but not be selected the first selection round, or not for a few rounds, or ever. Has anyone had to wait one or more selection boards before getting the call? I know these are understandably difficult questions to answer for the recruiters, as it is all case by case, but perhaps some applicants can share their experiences.

I am a DEO pilot applicant, currently awaiting the Air Factor to be confirmed and then fingers crossed for the November selection. The reason for my concern is that I know there are only a couple dozen DEO positions remaining for FY 2014/2015 and only the top candidates of all Canada will be selected to fill them. If not selected this round, is it reasonable to expect an offer during the next round, which will be for FY 2015/2016 and hopefully have more positions available?

DAA: I know you must have seen me express this concern several times already. So I apologize to you personally for the repetition! :) Something has come up at work and I am trying to do my best to develop the best possible educated guess in terms of the expected selection timeline, so I can plan life and work.

Some questions for DAA or others in the know:

Does Nov 2014 selection mean Jan 2015 BMOQ?

Based on past trends, when will be the next pilot selections after Nov? Based on some reading, I believe Feb 2015? And then Jun/Jul 2015 or so?

If selected in Feb 2015, when can BMOQ be expected?

Any idea as to the DEO pilot intake volume for the next FY (I know it's probably too early to ask this, but worth a shot.)?

Thank you all very much. I am a seasoned applicant myself and would be happy to help in return by answering any questions about the process that any applicants may have. Cheers.

Gunshark said:
So browsing this thread, I think some people here may be able to provide some insight into my concern. What I am wondering about is if it is common to be merit listed for DEO pilot but not be selected the first selection round, or not for a few rounds, or ever. Has anyone had to wait one or more selection boards before getting the call? I know these are understandably difficult questions to answer for the recruiters, as it is all case by case, but perhaps some applicants can share their experiences.

I am a DEO pilot applicant, currently awaiting the Air Factor to be confirmed and then fingers crossed for the November selection. The reason for my concern is that I know there are only a couple dozen DEO positions remaining for FY 2014/2015 and only the top candidates of all Canada will be selected to fill them. If not selected this round, is it reasonable to expect an offer during the next round, which will be for FY 2015/2016 and hopefully have more positions available?

DAA: I know you must have seen me express this concern several times already. So I apologize to you personally for the repetition! :) Something has come up at work and I am trying to do my best to develop the best possible educated guess in terms of the expected selection timeline, so I can plan life and work.

Does Nov 2014 selection mean Jan 2015 BMOQ?  Chances are YES.
Based on past trends, when will be the next pilot selections after Nov? Based on some reading, I believe Feb 2015? And then Jun/Jul 2015 or so?  Probably, Feb or Mar 15 but could be as late as May.
If selected in Feb 2015, when can BMOQ be expected?  After 1 Apr 15
Any idea as to the DEO pilot intake volume for the next FY (I know it's probably too early to ask this, but worth a shot.)?  Based on the current trend, probably somewhere between 60-100.
Thank you all very much. I am a seasoned applicant myself and would be happy to help in return by answering any questions about the process that any applicants may have. Cheers.

You already have an "official" response to this question.  ---->  http://army.ca/forums/threads/116036.0.html

But I will augment it, none the less.

Yes, it is rather common to be merit listed and not receive an offer.  The merit lists probably change daily, as people are added or removed, for what ever reason.  You are in good standing, so long as your medical and interview are up to date, which is usually 12 months or until your CFRC tells you that an update is required.  All you can do now, is wait.....

Two things.........first off, you should be proud of what you have accomplished thus so far.  Not many Pilot applicants are successful at Aircrew Selection (ASC), as you probably witnessed first hand.

Secondly, as a Pilot applicant, who has been successful at ASC, one day you just might get an offer of employment and if successful at BMOQ, could result in you becoming a "Commissioned" Officer in the CF.  So stop beating this topic and don't plan your life around are a "what if".

Back