• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

17 steps of battle procedure

George, that thread list various versions of the steps of battle procedure, but I think the original poster was looking for a more in depth discussion on application.

That is correct. I need a more detail in depth take on the 17 steps. I'll also like to see how the experts would go about planning their detailed time and map estimate for a 12 hour exercise if they were to partake in one.

opcougar said:
I'll also like to see how the experts would go about planning their detailed time

Work backwards from the time you have to have the task completed.........

Work backwards from task start time when planing you pre-mission battle procedure.......

- Has anyone else noticed that since the step of "Issue Warning Order" was moved from before "Receive Orders" to after "Receive Orders" , we now scramble like mad, all the while wondering who stole our battle procedure time? Hard to get a jump on preparing when your boss is off to orders and leaves you without a warning order. Preparatory moves, anyone? How about mission specific equipment?

opcougar said:
That is correct. I need a more detail in depth take on the 17 steps. I'll also like to see how the experts would go about planning their detailed time and map estimate for a 12 hour exercise if they were to partake in one.

I've got a couple templates for you; you'll have to PM your email addy so I can put them through to you.

Vern

TCBF said:
- Has anyone else noticed that since the step of "Issue Warning Order" was moved from before "Receive Orders" to after "Receive Orders" , we now scramble like mad, all the while wondering who stole our battle procedure time? Hard to get a jump on preparing when your boss is off to orders and leaves you without a warning order. Preparatory moves, anyone? How about mission specific equipment?

Good point. I think that this happened when we adopted the US Army Military Decision Making Process (MDMP) and renamed it the Operational Planning Process (OPP). The placement of the Wng O in Troop Leading Procedures was the first thing I noticed when I was on course with the US Army.

I think that Canada could have left lower-level battle procedure alone (Cbt Tm and below). I still issue a Wng O before I go to orders. I then change it/add to it later on in my BP as before.

opcougar,

I will try to give an example of a detailed time estimate for a 12 hour period. It is intended to be illustrative, not authoritative! Lets say you are an RRB detachment commander. For laughs, you have an LSVW CP/RRB thingie and a LUVW. You were issued orders at 0800 hrs and it is now 0845 hrs. You were tasked with establishing an RRB site at an area Grid to support operations. You need to have your RRB established at 1400 hrs and operate it until 1800 hrs. There is a NMB of 1200 hrs, but forward recces are permitted. Your Mission Analysis is done and you have a kicking mission statement and a list of tasks that need to get done along with some constraints. The first paragraph of your orders is almost ready. You are now starting your detailed time estimate.

Going with what Cdn Aviator said, I would start with 1400 hrs as my key timing. You can mess a ton of stuff up, but timings must be met.

a.  RRB Established - 1400

Now you need to estimate how long it would take to set up that RRB. For shiggles, lets go with 30 minutes. I might then add 30 minutes of fudge time to allow for trouble shooting. Your experience will guide you here!

b.  Begin RRB Set Up - 1300

Now you need to look at your map and figure out how long it will take to get there. From the distance on the map and the terrain compared to your mobility you guess that it will take 15 minutes. You decide to add five minutes of fudge time (could be more if the move will be at night etc) and another five minutes for getting the vehicle out of the hide

c.  Depart Hide - 1235 hrs

Your guys will need to get the vehicle ready, their pers kit ready and do things like eat. A good Warning Order might have taken care of this, but lets say that you figure it will take one hour after orders to get everything ready.

d.  Orders End - 1130 hrs

Based on prior O Gps for similar operations you estimate that it will take 30 minutes to issue orders to include questions.

e.  Orders Start - 1100 hrs (this will go in the Wng O)

You need to write orders in order to give them. In the past it has taken you 30 minutes to write them out for similar tasks.

f.  Begin Orders Prep - 1030 hrs

You need a plan in order to write orders, and your Recce will give you this. You look at the map and any constraints and need to decide if you will conduct a recce on the ground or off the map. Since you have a LUVW, you haven't been up to the area grid for the RRB before, recce is permitted you do a quick budget (30 minutes transit and 30 minutes on site) and decide to conduct a Recce. Alternatively, you might have to do this on the map. Going there means that you can find a good spot on the ground, and are less likely to get lost later on. You could also have to do a prelim move closer to the site if a recce was not possible.

g.  Depart Recce Locn  to return to hide - 1015 hrs

h.  At Recce Locn - 0945

i.  Leave Hide for Recce - 0930

You will need a Recce Plan. This might take ten minutes.

j.  Recce Plan Start - 0920

You need to issue the Wng O (you are on course and have to follow the steps). You have your orders time and location, you know your mission and know the things that need to get done first. This might take ten minutes to prepare and five to issue.

k. Issue Wng O - 0915

l. Begin Wng O Prep - 0905

You look at your watch and  :eek: it is already 0858 hrs. You wrap up your time estimate and detailed map study.

Again, this is just a quick illustration and not a template!

Tango2Bravo....thx for the detailed explanation. puts things into perspective. I have to ask though, in terms of mission analysis, what time would you give that in your draft above?

This was the kind of breakdown I was looking for overrall. Also after recce has been completed and COAs done, there is a step for briefing the CO to get a decision????

Time for steps will be a "it depends." For Mission Paralysis, the level of complexity of the orders and the level of the organization can have a huge impact. I have done MA in 15 minutes, but I have also done MAs that took two hours for thick Op Orders that I hadn't also received orally.

The time for backbriefs to be given (if they are done) will normally be given in his orders and it will go into your Time Estimate as a hard timing.

Once again, take my vignette as an illustration of the thought process of the time estimate - do NOT use it as a template.

Are you on course? If so, which one?

This is a whole 'exercise' that anyone would use in 'time management'.  You can take a day long or two day or week long course on civie street and learn the whole thing in a most convoluted manner.  If you take the 17 steps that the military will teach you in Leadership training, it all will boil down to what Tango2Brave just explained to you:  You are given your task.  You have a end time/time the task must be completed.  You take that time (that task needs to be completed) and work backwards to the current time.  You then adjust all the timings that you require for the various steps of your planning and preparation to fit into to the time span you have since receiving the tasking to the time the task must be completed.  You may find that you will have very little time for some of the stages/steps and may even have to skip one or two, such as a Recce......you may have to rely on a Map Recce of the site, and not an actual Recce of the site.

It is all an exercise in time management.

As for having a step for briefing the CO to get a decision.  No, you wouldn't have to do that, as it would have been the CO who tasked you to complete a task that (s)he would have thought of.  A very simplistic example:  If I tasked you to go to get me coffee, would you have to come up with a plan, then brief me on how you plan on getting me coffee?  No.  You'd simply go get me a coffee and that would be it, 

George Wallace said:
As for having a step for briefing the CO to get a decision.  No, you wouldn't have to do that,

Depending on what level the OP is working at or what course he/she is on, it could be more complicated that that.

opcougar said:
Also after recce has been completed and COAs done, there is a step for briefing the CO to get a decision????

Yes there is a step in the OPP for breifing the commander. Once enemy & Freindly COAs have been developed, validated and compared there is there is a "decision breif" done where the COAs are presented. expert input is sought and a recomendation is made as to which COA is the way to go.

Obviously if your task is to get coffee then.....yeah just go get coffee.

CDN Aviator said:
Obviously if your task is to get coffee then.....yeah just go get coffee.

But do you get it from Tim Hortons, Second Cup, some truck stop, McDonalds or, Starbucks

;D

I do not expect my Troop Leaders/Platoon Commanders to come to me for a Decision Brief - I am not selecting a COA for them to conduct their tasks from the menu of COAs they have prepared. I give them tasks, they decide how to do them. I might ask for backbriefs where they lay their plan out, but those are not Decision Briefs. A backbrief can be useful when the tasks are complex and interlock. It is also useful time to deconflict the various Troop/Platoon plans. I might have a Troop Leader adjust something during/after a backbrief, but that is not selecting a COA.

Decision Briefs are for commanders who have staffs. I think that we (the Army we) have started to blur the Operational Planning Process used by staffs with the battle procedure executed by low-level tactical commanders who do not have staffs. I would argue that MCpls to Majors execute old-school battle procedure where a lonely commander looks at the map and comes up with a plan that his people execute. They do their own estimate, although they might solicit opinions/advice. A CO of a BG, I would argue, is the first guy who really uses OPP (since he has a staff) and even then he might not use it all the time.

Please note that this is me soapboxing - I do not work at a School teaching planning/battle procedure nor at Doctrine writing it. I just use the stuff.

Back