• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

17 steps of battle procedure

combat_medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that has the 17 steps of battle procedure somewhere on the internet? I‘ve had little luck looking them up (getting ready for the leadership course this summer).

Also, any advice on taking the course would be more than welcome.

Is this what you‘re looking for?

Offensive Operations Battle Procedure
*Sequence of the procedure

1. Receive Wng O
2. Initial map study
3. Inital time appreciation
4. Issue Wng O
5. Move to the orders group and receive orders
6. Conduct detailed map study
7. Detailed time appreciation
8. Issues a supplementary Wng O
9. Make recce plan
10. Conduct recce
11. Does estimate
12. Complete plan
13. Issues orders
14. Supervise preparations
15. Conduct rehearsals
16. Ensure forced rest
17. Conduct final briefing

*From handouts from BIQ

Good luck on your course.
I‘m not sure what advice I could really give you as I still don‘t have a lot of experience.

On the "new" LFCA PLQ I did last fall, we had 15 points of Battle Procedure. Off the top of my head the changes were in the last few....I‘ll look it up later if you interested, but some major changes are....
no more forced rest, and the final 2 are...
14. conduct final rehersals and preparations, and 15. conduct the mission.

NO MORE FORCED REST?!?!?!?!?

Dangit, that was the only one I could ever remember.

So if you could send it to me, that would be awesome. Thanks a million. Oh, and any tips or advice you could offer would be even more helpful.

Bring some sort of legal uppers, ie Caffeine Laced Coffee Beans (eek!!). You will need them by the time the end of the course hits you.

Be prepared to suck eggs all over again...

Know your drill to a "tee", go to sleep with the CFP 201 under your pillow.

Bring an extra set of everything, makes the morning inspections go by much smoother.

Bring knee pads for those endless section attacks.

Make sure your boots are comfortable and have good insoles.

lots more... but I am sure that you‘ll do fine and figure it out...

Whoooo! Sounds like PLQ is one nasty mofo of a course!! The theory part isnt all that long though, is it?

So BP is down from 17 poits to 15, well that‘s typical, must be another cutback. FYI forced rest was almost always followed by (if time permits) in 17 years I never did get that time.

Leadership courses are (at least they were and I hope still are) both physically and mentally demanding. They should be. Do you want someone leading you that isn‘t switched on when the flying fecal matter hits the rotating air circulation device?

Pointers I can give from the dim recesses of my memory (and completing 6 and teaching around 10-12 various leadership courses):

As noted know your drill

Know your wpns handling drills (most M of I mutuals when not drill tend to be wpns)

Be fit (PT may be a bitch but the sleep deprivation is what starts to get to you)

Most important it is not an individual effort. From the first bond with and work with others on the course, your section etc. no matter what unit they‘re from. You‘ll fail individually but only pass as a team.

Most of the BS I either endured or later subjected students to at the early stages of a course was to get this point across. It never ceased to surprise me how many guys failed to get this point.

When you‘re organised and working together you‘ll have time to get the shacks cleaned, the kit cleaned, the mutuals and other homework done and actually have time to get your head down for a few hours.

Any specifics questions either PM me or post them hear, and good luck.

Combat Medic,
Just remeber "TIME" is your worst enemy,and use the KISS rule especialy on course.But stiol follow the 17.

Good luck.

I finished my course in the spring, so here‘s the 15 steps from the scribbles in my FMP;

1-Recieve warning order
2-Conduct quick map study
3-Prepare a quick time estimate
4-Issue initial wrning order
5-Receive orders
6-Conduct mssion analysis
7-Conduct detailed map study
8-Prepare detailed time estimate
9-Issue detailed wrning order
10-Prepare a recce and coordination plan
11-Conduct recce and coordination
12-Complete detailed plan
13-Prepare and issue orders
14-Coordinate and surpervise final preps
15-Supervise deployment and conduct the mission

The wording is kinda different than the usual 17 step one but it‘s essentially the same.

Only thing I can say is prepare to be bored for some of the mods(especially the computer training one). And know your weapons drills and procedures for both Mod two(instruction)and Mod six(orders and field phase). If possible get some time in teaching classes, especially weapons or any skills classes, as most guys failed these classes due to not following the sequence you have to follow.

Any other questions you have feel free to ask!

combat_medic, if you still a hand PM me and I
can send you an aide de memoir that our CSM
gave us on our leadership course. It‘s really
kicka$$. It contains not only battle procedure
but orders formats for a ton of stuff.

Is "mission analysis" now the replacement for "combat estimate"?

Also, does anyone know which infantry tactics are covered in the new PLQ mod 6?

Yes mission analysis is basically your combat estimate, where you ask your self several key questions and based on the answers you start your planning process.

what do you mean by infantry tatics?

-You are required in mod 6 to lead dismounted sect attack(going through all the battle procedures).
-Lead recce patrol, utilizing all 15 steps of battle procedure.
-and either conduct defensive routine or defensive occupation again utilizing the all 15 steps of battle procedure.
-Also you have to give fire control orders. We did fire control orders by going to the weapons simulator(not the greatest way but it worked out ok).

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Are you heading to Wainwright?

eh, from what I was taught, mission analysis != cbt estimate.

In your mission analysis you ask yourself
questions like:
- What is my commander‘s intent and what role do
I play in that intent?
- Has the situation changed in principle such
that my commander would not have assigned me
the same task?
(there are a couple of others but it escapes me
at the momen - WHICH IS REALLY BAD because I have
to know this stuff cold)

In your combat estimate you list:
- Your Aim (from mission analysis)
- Factors
- Courses Open
- Your Plan / Decision

I have to live and breathe battle procedure so
when I get home I‘d be more than happy to pull
out my notes and give you an explanation for
everything.

combat_medic, I trust you got that aide de memoir?

MJP: Yes, I‘m supposedly heading to Wainwright this summer *shudder*, if I ever get final confirmation that I‘m loaded on the course. You‘re not teaching on the course, are you?

Kurokaze: no I never got the aide memoire. It might have gotten filtered out as spam. Could you try sending it to the hotmail address again?

Combat Medic:
MJP: Yes, I‘m supposedly heading to Wainwright this summer *shudder*,
Haha, is it really that bad? Im headed there this summer as well - ive been told its 10fold better than Dundurn!

No not teaching this summer, I‘ll be just arriving back in Canada when alot of the courses are starting up. So I get to sit around and relax all summer:)

A few guys that Sean might know are teaching BIQ‘s right now and I believe some are slated to teach on a PLQ this summer. Are they incorporating mod 1 into your course(it‘s the PSP physical fitness one)? I know that originally reservists in some areas were having an extremly hard time getting that mod due to some screw-ups. I‘m wondering if they are going to run it at Wainwright.

Back