• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Vaccine Mandate Leading to Better Driver Pay: Carrier​

…and you are aware of Bison’s driver demographic, right? A past colleague of mine now involved in senior levels of a Canadian trucking fleet operator noted that Bison, headquartered in Winnipeg, is ‘notably different’ than owner operators in the GTA (primarily Brampton-based O/Os and small independents). Something to think about when you refer to an article that champions significant wage increases for a demographic other than that to which In referred at the beginning of the issue.

My reply was to this,

Watch what happens when the normally-Team red friendly Sikh community from 604 and 416/905 starts to question Team Red’s lack of support… :unsure:

Based on what I have read, not much.

Reports indicate many Sikh truckers are vaccinated. The concern seems to be more with wages and conditions, rather than vaccine politics.

Possibly worth noting - it may only be a coincidence - Federal Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, is Member of Parliament for Mississauga Centre in Peel Region ( 905 ).

I'm loving the thought of hundreds of Farm Machines driving around downtown Toronto.

This is some elite level trolling by the protesters. Like the Government wishes they were actually violent so they could do something about it. Instead they are like..... "how in the heck are we gonna deal with 200 farm tractors someone just left here LOL"

My impression so far has been that the protestors are really leaning into the memes, and the humour of it all. In the video where dude in Ottawa was losing his mind the guy in the rig trolled him with 'The honking will continue until freedom improves"....

My impression so far has been that the protestors are really leaning into the memes, and the humour of it all. In the video where dude in Ottawa was losing his mind the guy in the rig trolled him with 'The honking will continue until freedom improves"....
I want someone to get a picture of the Toronto Police Public Order Horses beside the Farm Tractors.

"Public Order collides with the Industrial Revolution"

I'm sure someone can make a mod for Farm Simulator 22. 🤣

I want someone to get a picture of the Toronto Police Public Order Horses beside the Farm Tractors.

"Public Order collides with the Industrial Revolution"

I'm sure someone can make a mod for Farm Simulator 22. 🤣

Just don't give them any ideas.... :)

From 2019:

Climate activists dump pile of manure outside Doug Ford’s constituency office​

Probably crashing.

edit: it worked. Already at 169,000. Goal is 16M
That appears to be the problem. A tweet from GiveSendGo

"GiveSendGo

@GiveSendGo
·
16h

We know the site is slow, or getting a server error. We are working on it! All hands on deck. There's thousands on making successful donations so please try again if you get an error! (also fending off any attacks which just come with the territory) Pray for wisdom & resilience!

"GiveSendGo

@GiveSendGo
·
16h

We know the site is slow, or getting a server error. We are working on it! All hands on deck. There's thousands on making successful donations so please try again if you get an error! (also fending off any attacks which just come with the territory) Pray for wisdom & resilience!
Surprised that no one has suggested that the NSA or the media or CSE or the Salvation Army has hacked the site and trying to slow it down on purpose…

If enforcement was strict, this current protest turned occupation would have been ended before it started.

Yes, that's the point: enforcement practices have changed from what I thought to be the case. A CBC article includes this: "It came to this, largely, because this is the way that police agencies have been moving for the last 10 years," he said. "A strategy of containment and hoping the protests fizzle out enough that they can then be dealt with. So this has been very textbook."

So my thinking was old-school. Obviously we can't have distinct standards based on skin colour or political or religious affiliations. So I suppose the next question is, how do people want authorities to respond to civil disobedience now that we've had a taste of it from all across the political spectrum these past couple of years, plus examples from other countries?

"GiveSendGo

@GiveSendGo
·
16h

Looks like over 10,000 people have already donated over $1.1M USD

Last edited:
So my thinking was old-school. Obviously we can't have distinct standards based on skin colour or political or religious affiliations. So I suppose the next question is, how do people want authorities to respond to civil disobedience now that we've had a taste of it from all across the political spectrum these past couple of years, plus examples from other countries?

My memories of Metro Police running the hippies, draft-dodgers, and "others" out of Yorkville, Rochdale and the old Yonge Street Strip of the 1970's are of what some might describe as, "old-school". They did not receive "kid glove" treatment.

But, they were effective.

The mayor, at the time, said, "A few hippies and deserters are Toronto's only problem."

Not to suggest the old school I remember was better - or worse - than the new school of today. Just different.

And no, that is not to compare "Freedom" to the above.

Yes, that's the point: enforcement practices have changed from what I thought to be the case. A CBC article includes this: "It came to this, largely, because this is the way that police agencies have been moving for the last 10 years," he said. "A strategy of containment and hoping the protests fizzle out enough that they can then be dealt with. So this has been very textbook."

I think we are already seeing it. Quebec, Toronto and NS having seen what happened in Ottawa are basically stopping trucks from coming in. Enforcing any and all traffic violations and photographing every license plate. Keeping the big stuff out.

Ottawa’s mistake was thinking that once the protest had their say they would be reasonable and move on like most others do. Add the nexus of heavy machinery and you have problems.

I doubt we’ll ever see “truckers” allowed to do that ever again.

Back