• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yuppie 9-1-1

armychick2009

Inactive
Reaction score
Are people this stupid? Really?

Read full article here :
http://technology.canoe.ca/2009/10/27/11539936-ap.html

An excerpt:
Rescuers fear Yuppie 911
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Last month two men and their teenage sons tackled one of the world’s most unforgiving summertime hikes: the Grand Canyon’s parched and searing Royal Arch Loop. Along with bedrolls and freeze-dried food, the inexperienced backpackers carried a personal locator beacon — just in case.

In the span of three days, the group pushed the panic button three times, mobilizing helicopters for dangerous, lifesaving rescues inside the steep canyon walls.

What was that emergency? The water they had found to quench their thirst “tasted salty.”

Wait till ice fishing season starts on Lake Simcoe.  :)
http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/584200
( see side paragraph )

Candidates have that option when things get hard, too...it's called getting on the man-eating truck*.

*Negative side effects include career ramifications.

The Darwin awards tend to make notables of those that were cleaned from our gene pool.....looks like a couple of candidates...

So long as there are no negative consequences for being stupid; this will continue.

Now if everyone was presented a bill for rescue missions, then they would have to evaluate just how badly they wanted to go into a dangerous environment...Even a large deposit before going into the woods would probably deter some (but not all) stupid people.

Agreed, they should get billed in full.  I have no doubt that with such a policy in place there would be plenty of insurance companies ready to sell policies to adventurous sorts.  Of course, the fine print might actually require the emergency to be one.

mariomike said:
Wait till ice fishing season starts on Lake Simcoe.  :)
http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/584200
( see side paragraph )

The side paragraph:

RECALLING LAKE SIMCOE, 1997

One of the biggest ice rescues in modern Ontario history took place on Jan. 25, 1997, when high winds created giant cracks in Lake Simcoe and cut off hundreds of fishermen and snowmobilers from shore.

Panicking anglers began calling for help around 2 p.m., and roughly 300 people were airlifted to safety by eight helicopters aided by surface hovercraft and boats in a frantic race against the setting sun.

A Canadian Forces C-130 Hercules dropped bright flares throughout the windy night to provide light for the 100 that remained stranded until morning – and to warn people that if they ventured out beyond their propane-heated huts they could end up in freezing open water.

The rescue effort lasted 30 hours, involved nearly a dozen agencies and cost taxpayers more than $300,000.

There were no injuries.

I was the 400 Squadron D Ops O for that one, officially designated "SAR PEOPLE ON ICE CASE NUMBER T97-0026".

We had collapsed 400 Squadron, 411 Squadron, 2 Tactical Aviation Support Squadron, and 2 Wing Headquarters into 400 Squadron, moved from Downsview to Borden, and re-equipped with the Griffon early in the summer of 1996.

The Squadron was dispersed between 18 Hangar (Ops, the A, B, and T Flights, and Maintenance Flight), S-118, now occupied by 3 CRPG HQ, (OR, Command Cell, and some of Squadron Supply), and another building in the P lines (Log Support Flight). 18 Hangar was supposed to have been undergoing a $4 million renovation and addition, but the funding had been pulled. Conditions in the building were extremely substandard. I had one computer in Ops, shared amongst about a half dozen people, and only two phones. There were no phones in S-118, so the CO was restricted to using his personal cellphone for all official business. Cell service in Borden back then was abysmal. He had it in some parts of his office, but if he moved a foot or two in the wrong direction it cut out. Phones were extemely limited throughout the rest of the Squadron as well - the old hangar did not have the wiring to support our needs.

I cannot recall if we had even received all of our hels by that time, but we were still struggling to get guys qualified - and our instructors had only recently qualified on type themselves. We had not yet been declared operational.

We had had several machines up flying that day, doing conversion (to type) trips, but ceased flying early as the wind increased to an excessive level. As the aircraft were returning, I got a call from South Simcoe Police that a couple of fishermen were trapped on a piece of ice that had been broken free by the high wind causing a buckling effect across Lake Simcoe. They had called home on a cellphone, communication had been lost during a second call, and the police feared that they had fallen into the water.

I began organizing a response, but had no authority to launch, and could not contact our CO for some time. I finally reached him, by which time we had two hels running on the ramp and ready to go with or without his approval - fortunately we had had time to refuel and none had been towed in, just in case. One was dispatched to the best-estimated location of the fishermen, and the other went part-way as a radio-relay aircraft as we had no other way to stay in contact.

We still had no permanent radios in Ops, so we kept our CP vehicle parked outside and remoted in. The antenna was below the level of the hangar roof, which was between the vehicle and lake and therefore hampered communications. We could not deploy the vehicle forward, either, as that would have cut us off at the hangar, plus it was immobile and awaiting parts.

We were far from ready for this sort of thing.

Conditions continued to deteriorate as the winds and falling and blowing snow all increased while darkness began to fall. By that time we had four hels airborne, all that we could crew. We were still short of Flight Engineers, so we tossed our Flight Surgeon in the back of one machine as the best-available substitute. The radio-relay hel had long since reverted to picking people off of the ice as it could not relay anyway, even at 4000 feet.

The Griffon has a static electricity problem. Static is generated as it flies, and it is worse in dry snow conditions. Due to electrical bonding problems between the plastic rotor blades and the airframe, it would build to the point that radios and intercom systems were rendered useless due to loud background noise as a result of the static build-up. Even turning the volumes down or radios off would not stop it. It took several years to solve this problem, but it was almost incapacitating that night.

Trying to co-ordinate locations and acivity of of our four helicopters and an air ambulance that was flogging around in marginal visibility and high winds and turbulence was a nightmare for those out there - fortunately for me, I could not hear it due to our distance from the scene, but there was more than enough pandemonium at my end to compensate for that lack.

Back at the hangar, I kept one of my two phones for incoming calls only, and the one that I allowed for outgoing calls was still reserved for critical matters. I was on it constantly. I kept a bank of runners to keep other sections in the loop - the only means left for in-hangar comms.

Despite all of that, we began picking up people all over the lake. Hels had to land beside fishing huts and get people out. Most had no idea that the ice had broken up all over the lake and that they were cut off and in some peril, and some had to be actively persuaded to leave - there was an OPP constable on at least one machine.

424 Squadron sent a Lab, but it only got about three-quarters of the way before being forced down by the weather. Nobody knew where it was, or its status, so I now had that issue to contend with. The crew finally called home a couple of hours later. A second Lab turned back to Trenton as well.

All told, we picked up two hundred and twenty people, many of whom had been drinking, and two dogs, both sober. Fishing huts, snowmobiles, and vehicles were abandoned all over the lake, and several went through the ice.

It was a long night, and one of our crews ended up staying at an airfield north of the lake as they could not safely make it back.

We found out that we had no way to replenish our bowser after normal working hours (we now have tanks and pumps as our primary fuel source), problems were encountered with NiteSun (thirty-million-candlepower spotlight) and FLIR, mainly as we had not got to the point of training with them, and our rescue hoists had been taken away.

By the next morning, it was all calm wind and bright and sunny skies. We recovered our fourth hel, and went back to doing student trips. The two yellow 424 Squadron Labs flew around a bunch, looking for any stragglers and giving the media lots of flashy photo ops.

"Copters Rescue Hundreds Stranded While Ice Fishing"
http://img255.imageshack.us/i/simcoe.pdf/
http://img406.imageshack.us/i/simcoe1.pdf/
http://img682.imageshack.us/i/simcoe2.pdf/

Please note: You can enlarge by R click / L click Marquee Zoom.

See? 424 Squadron Trenton got all of the credit in the press, as per your simcoe1.pdf Star article, but they were not even involved until the next morning, by which time it was pretty much all over.

I like to look events up in the old papers, but it makes one wonder how accurate some of the reporting is!
I can read the papers full size on my comp., but I don't know how to post except in that tiny Imageshack.

Don't expect any reporting to be accurate.

I was able to enlarge that article enough to read it.

Thucydides said:
Now if everyone was presented a bill for rescue missions,
i don't like this, if they are not faking.  What if there really hurt ? neeed the rescue misson ? They shouldn't be billed.  But if there water tastes salty then hell they need to be billed.  so i think the fakes need to be billed, not the ones who need it.

brandon_ said:
i don't like this, if they are not faking.  What if there really hurt ? neeed the rescue misson ? They shouldn't be billed.  But if there water tastes salty then hell they need to be billed.  so i think the fakes need to be billed, not the ones who need it.

"Warning: Don't get lost in New Hampshire:
When New Hampshire lawmakers decided to bill negligent hikers for their rescues, they figured they would solve some budget problems and teach hapless tourists a lesson. Then a 17-year-old Eagle Scout got lost on Mount Washington and ended up with a bill for $25,000.":
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-09-23-rescuefee_N.htm
Quote:
"Take care of yourself and don't expect big brother."

"July 31, 2009
Hostages to face bill as France tries to recoup cost of rescues:
The French commandos swoop into action, shooting dead the kidnappers and bundling the hostages into a helicopter. But the smiles of the former captives fade as their liberators deliver a nasty shock: the bill.":
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6734053.ece

If we want to separate the "real" from the "fake", then insurance principles should apply. Either insist hikers, boaters etc. have real insurance policies which pay out the cost of rescue, or a refundable deposit at the park entrance/marina to cover some/all of the cost.

Like I said, if real consequences are made to apply, then people will adjust their behaviour accordingly. The opposite is also true; "moral hazard". People will build on floodplains or hurricane swept coasts if they are being bailed out of their poor decisions by public funds. Indeed the ever escalating costs of storm and flood damage is in part due to people building and rebuilding where they never would if they paid the full cost of replacement.

As an experienced trekker I wholeheartedly aree that they should be billed for cases of obvious stupidity, failure to properly plan, chickenshit calls, etc.

There are some parks in Canada that check your gear before you are let loose into the backcountry because they do not want to have to come and find you...in these places it pays for them to be proactive like this...in other parts of the world this should not be necessary

Another thing to think of: every time emergency services are activated we draw precious resources away from someone who might need it. Rescuers also undertake risk to affect response.

Ah, but recall:  Nobody should ever be held accountable for their actions.  It is the cornerstone of western society.  Do what you want, when you want and consequences be damned.  All anyone really needs to do is ensure they have someone to blame for their short comings and they're all set. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Spot Messenger, a device which let's you call for a rescue virtually anywhere in the world, without all the hassle of having to explain exactly what the emergency is.

Not the first time this sort of thing has happened because of said device.

9-1-1 calls not billed??? I called 9-1-1 for help when my husband had a heart attack. I got billed $450.00 by the City of Winnipeg for ambulance service. Adds insult to injury when you're coping with death of your spouse.

Hawk

zipperhead_cop said:
Ah, but recall:  Nobody should ever be held accountable for their actions.  It is the cornerstone of western society.  Do what you want, when you want and consequences be damned.  All anyone really needs to do is ensure they have someone to blame for their short comings and they're all set.

Then they sue you:
"June 14, 2009:
Golden Search and Rescue suspends services amid legal liability concerns:
The move by Golden comes in the wake of lawsuit lodged against the society by a Quebecois man whose wife froze to death after going out-of-bounds at Kicking Horse Resort.":
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Golden+Search+Rescue+suspends+services+amid+legal+liability+concerns/1696041/story.html

Hawk said:
9-1-1 calls not billed??? I called 9-1-1 for help when my husband had a heart attack. I got billed $450.00 by the City of Winnipeg for ambulance service. Adds insult to injury when you're coping with death of your spouse.

911 is a free call, but obviously not a free ride, in Winnipeg.
$450.00?
It's $45.00 in Ontario. Your employee insurance plan pays the $45.00.
I re-read that your husband passed away. My condolences, in which case, in Ontario, there is no fee. 
Good grief. Welcome to Winnipeg:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/fps/Billing/Ambulance%20Service%20Rates.pdf
There is no charge in Ontario for "Treatment No Transport Service:
Patient not transported to hospital but received care at scene by Paramedics."
THAT is the City of Winnipeg's goldmine right there.  ::) Even if they never transport another patient again. It's called "Treat and Release, just sign here...".  :) It's free in Ontario. It's $393 in Winnipeg. Just for showing up!
And remember, the Call Originator aka "Complainant" is almost never the person who gets the bill! ie: The 911 caller is most often a third party.
Incidentally, did you notice that the ambulance crews in Winnipeg work for the Fire Department?:  :pumpkin:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/fps/
Hello Johnny and Roy!

Back