• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You're getting it......for whatever purpose (RG-31 with RWS)

I think that this is more a case of fulfilling an immediate requirement not unlike the Chinook purchase plans, rather than the initial steps to a complete overseas restructuring. The RG-31 will fill a niche, like some of the above posters mentioned, between Peacekeeping and full on Armed Conflict. Who knows where it will go in the long run.....

I doubt that using RG-31's will put more LUVW's in the hands of the Reserves. What it will do it put more Infanteers into the AOO without having to rely solely on either the LAV III or G-Wagon. Its all good.

Perhaps one of the best things it will do is not announce "ENGINEER" everytime a Nyala travels.

As for the GWagon for reserves -- I keep saying get ready for BISON 2...  The OP usage miles them out sooner with the armour than was expected.  Everything else in being rotated through "fleet management"

I for one would buy into a Nyala purchase like Art said - specifically replacing all the LSVW's as well. 

I'm still in shock to the fact the CF bought something "we" (as a corporate whole) like (my exceptions to the RWS aside)

KevinB said:
Perhaps one of the best things it will do is not announce "ENGINEER" everytime a Nyala travels.

As for the GWagon for reserves -- I keep saying get ready for BISON 2...    

:'( So-

Does anyone think my mom's subaru will make a good recce vehicle?

This has definately been a great discussion; I wonder if equal vigor was applied by those who made the purchase.... :blotto:

KevinB said:
couch -- I've done the Iltis/SUV thing and the Fishbowl GWagon -- give me the SUV (plus my hair looks better in them ;) )

Well I mean that's the most important thing, isn't it?

And from the ultimate armchair general (as, of course, I am the couch commander), given what was said in some of the threads (maybe recce, saber for stealth), to me it seems like this vehicle has some worth to it (ultimately experience will determine that).

My 2 cents.

couchcommander said:
And from the ultimate armchair general (as, of course, I am the couch commander), given what was said in some of the threads (maybe recce, saber for stealth), to me it seems like this vehicle has some worth to it (ultimately experience will determine that).

Whew...now everything is good to go with your nod of approval.

Infanteer said:
Whew...now everything is good to go with your nod of approval.

Damn right (do you disagree with something I said?).

I'd love to stay, but now I need to go approve some Hercs for purchase in a different thread.

:p

Sounds like another great purchase by the CDS, good for him.  He's finally getting the equipment the CF needs and seems to be getting it fast.

I'm just curious why the RWS and not the Protected Weapons Station (PWS) already in use by the CF?

Mountie said:
I'm just curious why the RWS and not the Protected Weapons Station (PWS) already in use by the CF?
From a (at the time) GM Defence technician, the PWS was chosen for the LAV Pioneer because the RWS was too short to fire overtop of some components mounted on the rear deck (auger/crane and hydraulic hoses) & give 360 degree coverage.  One contract was done to cover LAV Pioneer & TLAVs.  The Nyala does not have the same requirement for a higher wpn station.

Does anyone know if it (RWS) is stabilized?

Thanks for the reply.  However, I thought the PWS was shorter than the RWS but I could be wrong.  And the RWS can be stabilized.  But the variant currently in use on the US Stryker is not.  The newest version, or rather the next version, will be stabilized.  According to the manufaturer's website anyways.

I'm not sure.  I can't seem to find that.  All the manufacturers website said is the next generation RWS will be stabilized and the US Stryker Brigades will be updating to this variant.  It didn't say which variant we were getting.

armybuck041 said:
Hey don't get me wrong, its just day after day I see people slam equipment on here, or pick it apart so bad it leaves the slightly less educated confused. I think that this purchase is a step in the right direction. Feedback about the G-Wagons made its way upstairs and I think they came up with a reasonable compromise with this.

Listen up ney sayers:

Its not a fish bowl.

It can be fought out of quite easily with Small Arms from its 9 hatches.

It has more blast/frag protection that a LAV III. Yes, the glass is very thick and strong. We shot a spare panel with a .50 Cal to answer our own curiousities.

It provides the complete crew and passengers with much more situational awareness than any other A-Veh.

And you didn't have to wait 10 years to get it.

I agree wholeheartedly that the RG31 purchase is a very good (and big) step in the right direction. I remember learning about the RG31 a few years back and finding myself wondering why the military wasn't acquiring a whole fleet of them. In my estimation, the RG31 would be near-perfect for army reserve infantry, armour and artillery units, because it could operate as an APC, recce vehicle, mini-CP, signals vehicle, gun tractor and liaison vehicle all rolled into one, without requiring you to create expensive variants to fulfill each of the roles. The big bonus is that the RG31's armour would let such units operate in conditions where the more traditional soft-skinned vehicles typically employed in these roles could not.

At a million bucks a crack, the price can't be beat. I mean, think of it this way. It cost the military some $1.2 billion to acquire 651 LAV-III APC's, of which only 313 are actually intended to carry infantry. That works out to around $2.5 ~ 3 million a copy depending on its role, to support one understrength brigade group of 2,400 troops. The same money applied to an RG31 purchase might let you buy 1200 vehicles and support 9,600 infantry troops if all of the vehicles were used solely as APC's.

In fairness to the LAV III, the one weakness of the RG-31 is its inability to carry heavier armament like a 25mm Chain Gun or TUA turret. But I still question the wisdom of trying to shoehorn wheeled, relatively lightly armoured vehicles like the LAV III into combat roles intended for better-armoured tanks and tracked infantry fighting vehicles which carry 30 or 40mm main guns.

The British Army used armoured Land Rovers and Humber trucks (AKA 'pigs') in Northern Ireland as APC's and patrol vehicles and had great success with them in counter-revolutionary/counter-terrorist warfare in urban settings. Since the RG31's could be thought of as Humber 'pigs' on steroids, they seem perfectly suited to the work the army needs to do in Afghanistan.

Would variants of the RG-31 or the more modern RG-32M be suitable replacements for some Grizzly, Bison or LAV-III support variants?  The US Army Stryker brigades use soft-skinned HMMWVs for command posts at the battalion headquarters and mortar platoon headquarters in their infantry battalions.  Would an armoured RG-31 or RG-32M command post, radio re-broadcast vehicle, electronic warfare vehicle, etc be a suitable subsititute or very lightly armoured Grizzly and soft-skinned LSVW CPs, RRB vehicles, EW vehicles, etc.

The RG-31 already comes in the armoured ambulance variant, the armoured van could easily be configured to a CP, etc.

Don't know.

But I do know that rolling and a million dollar vehicle looks like alot of fun...

Nyala_rollover.Ian_001.jpg

Dam near makes me want to join right now.

Back