• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

Nice...... would just be affraid to bust it...............

geo said:
Nice...... would just be affraid to bust it...............

It is fairly rugged and since I am probably the clumsiest person in the world it has survived so far.

Well all this talk of watches has got me thinking (before anyone says anything yes it hurts) but anyways I was wondering do you have to wear your watch on a certain wrist?

I'll add my two cents here.  I wear a Suunto S6 and it is great.  It has a cell phone like menu on it that you can scroll through and change many of the options.  It has a clinometer for slope reading which works great for avalanche hazard assessment, and low angle rescue assessments.  The reason I bought it though was because it has an altimeter lock on it.  Basically you can set it so that any change in air pressure is a change in alititude 'use alitmeter' or you can lock the altimeter and it will measure any change in air pressure as a barometric pressure change and graph it as a trend.  It will also convert all your barometric pressures to sea level for your current altitiude.

I like it because I can set it to alti, climb all day, then when I bivy, I switch it to baro, and it will log the borometric trend all night.  In the morning I can see what the trend, look at the clouds, wind and take a wild guess at the weather for the day. 

I also really like it because you only need one measurement to set all the rest.  For example if you know your current alititude from say a GPS or a map, then you can input that in and it will give you the current actual baro reading, and will also give you the converted to sea level reading.  And vice vera, if you know your baro, you can set your altimeter. 

If you want you can plug it into your computer and print out a graph of you elevation gain and loss over time, but I could never be bothered.  If you are a skier you can catalogue your runs, and it will give you a speed and average run speed too.

Anyway, I swear by it.  I take it off when I am rock climbing (usually) so as not to scratch it, but I've done many jumps with it on, and it is still with me.  Very durable.  And the best thing; it is smaller than the Vector.  I hear the X9 is good - it has an internal GPS, but I would never front the $900 price tag.

MacIsaac said:
Well all this talk of watches has got me thinking (before anyone says anything yes it hurts) but anyways I was wondering do you have to wear your watch on a certain wrist?

Uhhh... yeah.... it should be yours ;)
( L or R does not matter )

Thanks for that I asked because I always get hassled(sp?) by people because I wear my watch on my right wrist and I guess men are to wear it on there left

I thought you wore your watch opposite the hand you write with.  If you are lefty you wear it on the right, right handed on the left.  Me I wear it on the right hand even though I am right handed. Often folks think i am left handed when they see its on the right, get some comments  about not knowing how to wear my watch.  I just tell them I catch too many things when it is on my left hand.

Wow never knew that I wear it on my right because of an injury when I was younger it doesn't feel right when I move my arm a certain way no pain or anything like that just more of an odd feeling

i use an Ironman watch too.  They haven't been that rugged though, the face plate is always coming off.  Other than that I haven't had a problem.  You can also turn off the Alarm.  I agree, God help you if you don't.  With the analog watch you can't see them in the dark.

V

I recind my opinion of that timex watch i posted. SHITE. quit working, indiglo failed, no function worked, that ring quit spinning, junk. i replaced it with a Casio Gshock after reading some good things about it.

Casio Pathfinder from Costco.

Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Temperature

A lot of people think I'm stupid for this, but I'm a die hard fan of the analog watch. You don't have to worry about the alarm going off during an ambush [lets face it given enough time it will happen to everyone] and best of all its makes your on the fly time appreciation way faster.

People usually rag on me saying you need an alarm, but that's simply not tactical and in the field there should always be someone awake to get you up at the right time anyways. I mean if you don't have enough trust in buddy to wake you up for a sentry shift then you're in the wrong profession.

I wear a watch. On my Right hand.
It's analouge, it tells time.
I like it.
It is a Fossil watch, not a bad watch for an old dinosaur like me.

Over the past 20 years I have worn 3 watches.  Casio Divers / Timex Ironman / Omega Speedmaster.  As people have already commented on, the plastic/rubber watch straps on the everyday Casio and Timex watches break (usually at the clasp).  I found that my skin got heat blisters from sweat and dirt irritation under a rubber strap. 

Another thing lacking in battery operated watches was that as the battery gets low you can't illuminate the watch so it's useless in the dark. And you have to go to a shop to get the battery changed after it fails, usually when you really need a watch.  Once the battery is replaced, forget about any depth underwater tight seal on the watch

For the last 14 years I have been wearing a mechanical Omega Speedmaster - no batteries, no strap issues, just precise time keeping.  Although my watch isn't a dive watch per se, it is still rated to a depth of 30m or 100 ft. (Most dive watches rated to 100m)  I have used it on numerous occasions scuba diving to depth of about 15 m - no problems.

A quick split second burst from a flashlight will keep it illuminated in the dark.

A mechanical Swiss watch such as Omega or Tag Heuer are affordable lifetime watches that can also be sold off for a good return if you need fast cash.  Try keeping a battery operated watch to work without fail for 30 years and then sell, trade or pass it to your kid.  Won't happen!    Do yourself a favour, buy quality and buy once!!!

I have always worn cheap ($20 or less) analogue watches. That way I don't care if I beat them up or lose them.

Titanium... you can never go wrong with anything made of titanium... lightweight, durable, and virtually corrosion proof.

I've got a self winding watch by swiss army bought at costco for a cheap.

Damn, was I let down when after using my spanking new Luminox Men's EVO Navy Seal Watch twice, in a swimming pool only, it showed condensation on the inside of the crystal. I bought it online (mistake) and they tell me to send it to a Luminox service center in the US. ARGGGHHHH! I am a scuba diver and this watch is sold as a diving watch, sanctioned by the US Navy Seals and a host of others. It is rated for 200 Meters (660 feet).
Junk.....anybody able to recommend a great waterproof watch, suitable for the shitkicking we are likely to give it in the Forces? What are some good ones currently being used by our guys? (and where can we get them for a reasonable price)

I got a Casio G-Shock I think the model is DW6900-1V.
Held up strong for tour, training/excercises in cold-hot temps, PT. No problems with it at all.

Back