• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

I too use the timex expedition, not in the CF (yet, hopefully) but nice to hear it holds up well   :)

Edit: Link to the timex website list of features: http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=753048099276

I am not in the military but I have bought one of those navy seal dive watches by the company Luminox.
It works awsome cost me about 300bucks. It also has this special gas i forget the name its at the tip of my tongue but it glows at night of easy viewing. Guaranteed for 20 years I'm sure. Apparently the U.S Navy seals use it along with special forces. Also luminox has a special forces watch!

Expensive but you get the nifty navy seals name! WOO! Some body's got to come up with a JTF2 watch. Then will be cool!!!!

Sounds like a nice watch, but I wouldn't bring it to BMQ, or anything else really, because for 300 bucks, it's too expensive to be bringing out on excercises and stuff... if you don't lose it, or break it or something, for 300bucks, it could grow legs some night and decide to find a new owner. My timex expedition has been on my wrist since I was in the 7th grade. I'm almost 21 now, so 9 years and still going,  plus it has all it's features working perfectly, and it's still using the same battery

PPCLI MCpl said:
The Timex Expedition is outstanding. 12/24 hr format, 3 Time Zones, 3 alarms, a timer, a chronograph, Indiglo and it's only $35 at Walmart.   My other watch is the Swiss Army Renegade.   It has a rubber band, 24 hr format, Tritium markers, date function and a compass.   It was $99 off the net.

Agreed.  the Timex Expedition is great! good price, tough as nails, and if it breaks no tears shed since you can easily replace it..

ive put mine through the wringer and it still works great.. well the glass is all scratched but hey, i bought it to be used after all...

PPCLI MCpl, i think youve got a newer version of it though, since i dont think mine has the 3 time zone function...

cheers

My Timex Expedition is actually digital, doesn't look anything like the one in that link above.. Still an Expedition though, and is still tough stuff.

my expiditions were tough but i was tougher then they were . i dont know how many i went through . im now workingt with a casio g shock . well as long as it tells the time and doesnt stop who cares .

Whichever watch you get, If it has a leather watchband, I really, really recommend  switching it out with a nylon one, I nearly lost my Traser on a winter ex when the leather watchband decided to rip when I rucked up.

Definately go with Timex, the writing on one of there $20 watches (a plastic one with indiglo and chrono) will start to fade after about 3 years, but other wise you can not beat the quality of watch for the price that you pay. 

Good luck hunting

Thanks everyone for the advice! Just picked up a Timex Expedition 41091 at Wal-mart on sale for $37.44 from $42.44.

Profile:
http://store.goodwatchdeals.com/yhst-8924687551388/41091.html

Pros:
Night Mode (Numbers light up through all the modes)
Number Indigo not entire face
3 Seperate Alarms with 3 settings (Daily, Weekday, Weekend)
2 Time Zones
Affordable

Cons:
Can't scroll through the split/laps
Velcro band (but does the job)

Dan  :salute:

For wrist watches I recommend one that tells time

common sense will tell you

- at least water resistent
- fairly durable
- not too pricey

can you use the watch covers? does it have to be the cadpat? are there times in training that you can't wear a watch?

The  SF community here in Australia use the Casio G-Shock, now 'combat' proven in Afghanistan, Iraq, and soon to be in Iraq again within 30 days (non OPSEC, public knowledge  8)).

I have a US Mil Std Sandy 183 GTLS for field use, and also a Military 24 hr dial Breitling 'Modelle 6300 Depose' which I have had since 1987, and it still keeps perfect time. I go thru a band every few years. Thats one hell of a good watch. The Sandy has to be manually wound, and looses or gains a minute or two every week or so depending on how it feels.

Either way find a watch that suits you. it should be robust, water resistant, and user friendly, plus the LCF too should you feel you must have it.

Do an ebay search for 'us military watch', there you find them all, including the Hamiltons.

Cheers,

Wes

Do you guys prefer analog or digital??
Which is best in the field?
In general?

I like analog myself but digital is better for me in the field.  For one digital watches are easier to synchronize that analog watches, and they usually comes with alarm and stop watches. 

Personally I have a Casio G-shock for 10 years and it's still ticking.  So I think it is a pretty good investment.

I'm just on eBay(my fav store) pricing out the watches. The prices seem to go anywhere from .99 up to $100+

i've got a Timex expedition, it has dig, and analog. lap, count down timer, two time zones, alarm for either time zone, but not both at the same time.
water proof up to 50 M. back light, and you can turn off all beeps and alarms.

I've got a timex expedition, almost like a desert version or somethin, looks real cool... Good quality too, I got it when I was in grade 7, and well now, I'm comming on my third year out of highschool, and it's still ticking... however I'll probably replace the battery before I go to basic

I have the Citizen Navihawk watch, it sure is purty. I would never take in the field with me. Personally, I'm going with the Casio G Shock, although I'll have to replace the band as the stock one doesn't fit. Stupid fat wrists.  :D

Back