• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World Travelling

Florida is always a hit... especially in the spring!!!
http://community.webshots.com/album/403985853OBBTKs

But Japan is also very cool... and you don't need to speak japanese at all!
http://community.webshots.com/album/403553528ria

If you come to Europe give Copenhagen, Denmark a day or two...
http://www.woco.dk/tourist

Godspeed!

Central America is great. Close enough to home (Canada), cheap, great people good culture. I've been there a few times and two years ago drove from Cape Breton, NS to Panama so I got to take in all the countries.

Ditto on the value of international experience.

Iran is a relatively cheap place that has TONS to see and do, plus it is totally safe! The people/food/sights are great. French is a plus (heck even JAPANESE) since not a lot of people there speak English.

If you are in Eastern Canada it will probably be cheaper than SE Asia.

For SE Asia I would say definitely check out Cambodia. It is starting to get touristy so go NOW. Thailand is good (especially the South) but Bangkok is a little expensive.

China is also interesting, but GO WEST young man. Chinese Turkestan (Xinjiang) offers some amazing insight into how screwed up China is. Plus, since it is Muslim, you won't get food poisoning. Japan is fun but pretty expensive.

Have fun!

I don't know where you're leaving from but if you're going to SE Asia usually the flights are cheaper going to Hong Kong. I can get a return for about 900 canadian, I use expedia.ca mostly. china-airlines.com is good too. Then you can grab a cheap flight to Thailand or wherever once in HK. I taught English in China for 6 months and travelled quite a bit.

Bangkok  is not that expensive. We found a fairly good 3 star hotel off of Sukumvit Rd near the BTS for under $40.00 Cdn a night, and food is dirt cheap there if you stay away from the high priced tourist joints. Same for beer as long as it's not in the bars with "live entertainment."

Can't beat the price for tailor made clothes there either. My wife and I had four hand made suits done up with 4 silk shirts/blouses. She got pants and skirts for hers and he tossed in 2 high end silk ties for me. Done up in less than 48 hrs and total cost about $300.00 CDn.

Hong Kong is the major destination hub for SE Asia plenty of flights through there. As I said the best deal I know of now is the Cathay All Asia Pass, plus you're flying Cathay which beats Air Transat or Air Canada in terms of service any day of the week.

Re buying on-line never do this. Do all your research on-line at expedia etc, but buy from a flesh and blood travel agent. Most reputable ones will match any prices you see on-line (in Toronto Flight Centre will either match any other offer or even knock off $5.00). Buying on line leaves you no protection like trip cancellation, bankruptcy of airlines (Canada 3000) etc. real travel agencies are insured, plus you have a real person to deal with.

Have to agree on Central America as a good cheap destination. Panama and Honduras are going to be the next Costa Rica, so go now while it's still cheap and not overrun with package tours. Seriosuly looking at retiring in one or ther in a few years and maybe opening a little bar on the beach down there and yeah serving and former CF members will get the first beer on the house.

Maybe I am getting too relative, but compared to the countryside Bangkok is pretty expensive. I totally agree on the clothing! Definitely cheap!

If you are backpacking on the cheap you can get hotel rooms for around $10CDN a night right downtown.

The lifestyle in Bangkok has changed so much in the last 10 years. I just went back in 2004, exactly 10 years after my first trip, and prices we 3 times as much! Mind you quality was way up and the standard of living was too. MBK Center was the the most advanced thing for shopping in Bangkok then, but now MBK is like a slum compared to some of the state-of-the-art shopping centers that have popped up everywhere. The developments economy and SOL-wise are amazing, and I am glad to see it. Still, it is cheaper than Canada/US/Western Euro.

Back