• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World Travelling

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just thinking about maybe saving some money up and going to a few places in the world before I join the CF.. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice, suggestions, where to start, what to bring, etc...

I'm not 100% sure I will but I would like to hear a few opinions and suggestions beforehand..

Cheers

travelling is by far the most enlightening thing you can do. what better way to learn about the ways of the world than to go see them. ive hit over 20 countries so far, and there is still a lot i am wanting to see.
  as for where to go, that is something you really have to choose yourself. personally i am a big fan of eastern europe and the middle east, but im sure there are many people who will tell you to stay clear of these places, it all depends on the person.

I'd definitely like to see some of the places I've read so many times about... France, Italy.. etc.. The thing is I don't think I'll have a lot ofmoney, maybe enough to get me over there hehe.. Unless I pick up a part-time job soon and start saving like mad...

I'd definitely like to see Holland since that's where my grandparents are from...

Cheers

Backpacking through Europe and staying in hostels is always a cheap option.  Its the airfare that really hurts the money situation!  There are also some train packages where you get to visit a number of countries via trains.  They have different packages depending on what you want to see.
Ive only been to Austria, and I would definitly recommend it!  On that note, I spent about 10 days there (although I had musical commitments to see to) and didn't get to see everything I wanted to in Vienna. So....if you are going to go all crazy-like on seeing as much as possible, really try to plan out what you want to see beforehand!

Is there any way of making money while overseas? Any ways of feeding yourself should you run outta money hehe.

Cheers

I'd definitely like to see Holland since that's where my grandparents are from... 

Heh, mine too. In fact I lived in Holland for a couple of years for study, so I know the place well. If you decide to go there, let me know.
Holland is quite expensive, but can be manageable if you are smart about it.

If you want to see some nice parts of Europe, and do it in style, then head over to the Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, and other countries like that. Your money will go farther, a lot farther!

Getting work is tricky, but can be done if you are willing to work in restaurants, certain sales positions, or telemarketing sweat shops. If you got to the UK, you can get a 'Working Holiday Permit' and you can get a job very easily. I got a part time job fairly quickly at an internet cafe' when I was in London for a month.

If you are going in the summer months, University residences are often used as hostels. They are usually cheaper and have more privacy. Down side is they are often outside the central parts of the cities, which is where you want to be. Just means you take the bus to get there.

I'm currently in Florence, Italy right now on vacation.  It's awesome and I'm staying at a campsite which is super cheap and it's also one of the cleanest and nicest places I've stayed so far.  I'd definitely recommend Italy just watch out for the people who like to rip you off.  Count your change and watch your valuables!  There's also cheap internet cafes like the one I'm in right now for you internet junkies that need to log onto army.ca whenever you get the chance!

I have to agree that travelling is one of the best things one can do. Mind I'm biased with over 30 countries on five continents under my belt (most places more than once too) so far and I have no intentions of stopping anytime soon.

Re working in Europe, there is some sort of work/study abroad programs, I'd check out the Student traveller website and/or travel cuts for details.

Other cost savers for the student/under 30 set are International student/hostelling association memberships.

Cheap destinations I'd recommend are South East Asia. The airfare is highh, yes but once there you can live quite cheaply. Central America is another cheap destination. Belize and Costa Rica are the most expensive places and still cheap by Canadian standards.

Get yourself a money belt to wear under your shirt and always keep your passport on yourself. Hostels are havens for crime. Look into a Eurorail pass but keep in mind berths cost extra.Also it would be a good idea to ask familly to be prepared to wire you emergency money just in case. Above all out of the 36 countries I've been to, the sight of a Canadian flag on your pack tends to get you alot of positive comments and even good deals.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
the sight of a Canadian flag on your pack tends to get you alot of positive comments and even good deals.

Make that a small Canadian flag on your pack and mabee a lapel maple leaf pin or flag.
There is a running joke in Europe:
Q: How do you tell the difference between an American Tourist and a Canadian one?

A: The size of the Canadian flag on the pack!

Americans seem to think that because of their "in your face" patriatism all nations are the same.

Wrong!

Enjoy your trip

GF

I'm going to europe this summer I'm leaving in 15 days I'm so excited I cannot wait!!!!!!!!! :)

Sweden has hot chicks...

At least that's what I've been told.  ;)

Western Europe is great for backpacking not just because there is alot to see.  Its also relatively safe for the beginner and there is not as much of a culture shock as say going to South East Asia or the Middle East.  If you've never been travelling before then start with Western Europe then move on from there.  That way you'll get some experience under your belt before trying something like South East Asia.  My 2 cents.

Pieman, Central/Eastern Europe ain't as cheap as it used to be.  My family is from Hungary and we go back quite regularly to see relatives.  Since I first started going in 1995 I have watched real prices steadily increase there.  So don't be surprised to pay the same amount for drinks as you do in Western Europe/North America.  The best way to cut costs is buying food and drink (smokes as well) from groceries and shops, they are still much cheaper.  The one great thing about the Eastern European countries is the women.  I have never seen so many beautiful women in my life.  From the Baltics all the way down to the Balkans its like the land of the supermodels...definitely an upside.

If you want to make some extra cash try working at a Pub or a Bar.  They will sometimes pay foreigners under the table, even if you don't have a visa.  In the UK its quite common and I had some friends who did it in Spain as well.

RN PRN said:
Make that a small Canadian flag on your pack and mabee a lapel maple leaf pin or flag.
There is a running joke in Europe:
Q: How do you tell the difference between an American Tourist and a Canadian one?

A: The size of the Canadian flag on the pack!

Americans seem to think that because of their "in your face" patriatism all nations are the same.

Wrong!

Enjoy your trip

GF

Actually according to the Lonely Planet forums, it appears the way to tell real, as opposed to American's posing as, Canadian is the Timmies travel mug hooked onto the MEC backpack.

I guess we've taken so much ribbing about it over the years that we've stopped with the whole flag thing. I've still got mine up though, it just looks funny on the wheeled luggage my wife made me turn the backpack in for. :-[

Seriously the lapel pin is a good idea, and make great souveniers for people you meet on the way. I'can go through a few each trip.

Re Lonely Planet's website, the forums there are a wealth of info for any trip planning. Most of it's real time to as opposed to the books as people are actually posting tips and wanings from the actual place in question.

I had a whole trip planned for Thailand .. I wanted to go to Phuket to study the authentic muay thai.. Everything was going well until the air fare hit me. 2400 dollars.. Sometimes I wonder how people manage to afford these overseas trips when they don't make that much more than me.

(any tips ppl have for flying cheaply I am open to)

Steve checkout the Cathay Pacific All Asia Pass. it should run you about $1700-1800 return to Hong Kong from either Toronto or Vancouver.

The best part is once in Hong Kong you have 21 days unlimited travel to some 17 South East Asian cities including Bangkok. There are restrictions, and black out periods and you have to book all your legs in advance but that's fairly easy to do with ther site and a good travel agent.

We used it last year to hit six countries in Asia.

$1700 sure as hell beats $2400 that's for sure. I will definately be checking that out, especially that unlimited travel option, it sounds like great deal (may help save some money from Bangkok to Phuket too, the more the better). Still have to wait till I'm in the CF to do this (can't afford it on cmre salary) but it definately gives me something to look at for my first leave block.

Don't know if other cities in Thailand are included or not. Mind costs there are relatively cheap, bus, train, hotels etc.

BTW A must see is the real Bridge on The River Kwai, it's about 2 hours from BK and there's regular bus and train service (and yes the train does go over the bridge) and organizsed 1/2 day and all day tours there.

They join the Army.

Been in 74 countries, mostly after I left the Army and want to be in more. Problem is the more countries that you go to and like, the more they deserve a return trip, and you sort of run out of time.

A few hints that have helped me are , try the local foods and if you have some extra languages, it sure helps. French, English, Spanish and German get's you by, but more wouldn't hurt.

Before all the heck blew up in the Middle East. Beirut, was one of the greatest Cities I had ever seen, but like everything else that is not the case anymore.

Do you know anyone that works for Air Canada?  I work for them, and we basically can fly anywhere in the world for next to nothing.  We can bring up to four people with us on a trip, but it will cost you more than an employee. 
  For example if you were to fly from Halifax to London England it would only cost you 95.00. 
The only downside is, that you fly standby basically, and would be the last people on the plane and could be bumped off by paying customers and senior employees and even cargo has more priority! lol
  Cheers all
Steve :cdn:

Back