• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Women In the Infantry

daftandbarmy said:
Hey, if you want to be in the infantry, why be so nice and reasonable?  ;D

What's wrong with either of those things?  :D

RyaeC said:
What's wrong with either of those things?  :D

One could argue that these qualities clash with the demands of the prevailing culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzxb2sxbDU&feature=related

The Infantry will become what you make of it - effort in, reward out. But as others have said, you seriously have to realize that the Army (Infantry included) is NOT a regular job. People do not interact with each other in the same way, work is not assigned in the same way, and everyone is expected to pull their own weight.

One of the things I have seen in my experience is as follows. When you join the Army, your instructors job is to tear you down and rebuild you. You get yelled at, made to do $****y jobs, made to carry things, and singled out. This is not exclusive to women- everyone is treated like S***, and everyone feels like they are being singled out when they have to do fire picket from 0200 until 0400. If you act like you got the crappiest job because of your gender, people WILL view you as a whiner, or lazy, or other. If d*** jokes offend you, this might not be the right trade for you (again, I am going from my own personal experience, which is limited to my small square of Canada).

I do not change how I act if a female soldier is around, because I do not discriminate based on gender. I will act with you the same way I act around males, and if this offends you, either A) pretend it doesn't, or B) pick a different job. Guys fart, scratch their b***s, and make crude jokes- we don't do it because a female is around, we just do (especially in the Infantry world). As long as you accept that, you will have no problems. That being said, if someone is being outright sexist, that is an issue. The Army does not tolerate that s***, and more often than not, your fellow platoon-mates will sort the offender out. 

Good luck with your chosen career. Keep in mind that bigots are everywhere, and the Army is no exception.

HopefulA.B. said:
Daft: i guess people have to be prepared to kill...

In the Infantry?

Yes, of course, E.g.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAkUvPIk_c
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/mt-longdon.htm

Or you might want to read this... or maybe not:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41265/post-354806.html#msg354806

I know this thread is old but it was a good read. Anyone know if the OP made into the Infantry?? Would love to hear how she made out.

You can try sending a PM to her,  depending on her account settings she may get a email saying there is a PM for her on this website.

Conz,  I'm not sure how that article relates to women being in the Infantry(Canadian); as none of those women are Infantry, they are American MPs, Int, Pilot, etc.

-Skeletor- said:
Conz,  not sure how that article relates to women being in the Infantry(Canadian); as none of those women are Infantry, they are MPs, Int, Pilot, etc.

Skeletor, thanks for replying. I actually thought this was a different thread that shares a similar title. Whoops!

I'm a little late to the party but I'm curious as to why you'd make Steward your second choice, that's a night and day difference. For all that time talking up the infantry life, it would make more sense to have other combat arms trades selected.

Motard said:
I'm a little late to the party but I'm curious as to why you'd make Steward your second choice, that's a night and day difference. For all that time talking up the infantry life, it would make more sense to have other combat arms trades selected.

You're replying to a post from May 2012, and RyaeC hasn't been on this website since Oct 2012

-Skeletor- said:
You can try sending a PM to her,  depending on her account settings she may get a email saying there is a PM for her on this website.

Good plan. I'll give it a shot!
Thanks!

-Skeletor- said:
You're replying to a post from May 2012, and RyaeC hasn't been on this website since Oct 2012

Ha, I thought I was late because it started back in early May, didn't see the 2012 part. :facepalm:

Back