• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter BMQ

The main reason I started a new thread was to get updated comments on winter BMQ. When I searched "Winter BMQ" I found a lot of information that was postd in 2005, 2006 etc. Even if training hasnt changed a lot, would be nice to get some stories and tips from persons who have experienced the winter side of BMQ in the past year or two.

bgray said:
  I found a lot of information that was postd in 2005, 2006 etc.

Winter is winter........... ::)

Same shit, different year. Move on.

Theres not too many secrets to it, farnham is cold as f#ck in january-february and listen to your DS they will provide you with a kit list and during the later weeks of BMQ or BMOQ you'll have lectures on training in cold weather. The only useful tip i can give you as change your socks as much as possible and shirt and underwear and if you get a weekend off before going out into the field grab some handwarmers from the mall they tend to help when wearing the goretex gloves.

Just finished bmq the only other thing to add to this is don't over dress if you sweat lots, activities like FOB security at 3 am will be unpleasant.

Hand warmers are great to have during FOB security.  You don't get to move around much while patroling the Gate or Tower so you will get cold.

Cost-Co has them in Bulk Packs for cheap as well as lots of places online.

If you want to make life friends, pass a few around from time to time.  Helps with Morale when your section is freezing.

SentryMAn said:
Hand warmers are great to have during FOB security.  You don't get to move around much while patroling the Gate or Tower so you will get cold.

Cost-Co has them in Bulk Packs for cheap as well as lots of places online.

If you want to make life friends, pass a few around from time to time.  Helps with Morale when your section is freezing.

You may wish to look into that. When I went through, apparently somewhere within the school's standing orders was something with regards to "no hand warmers in Farnham". Of course, I only found that out when our Company Commander popped by one day, and asked me why I kept shaking my hands up and down like that.

gcclarke said:
You may wish to look into that. When I went through, apparently somewhere within the school's standing orders was something with regards to "no hand warmers in Farnham". Of course, I only found that out when our Company Commander popped by one day, and asked me why I kept shaking my hands up and down like that.

Losing hands to frostbite or breaking regulations...
:-\

I went through BMQ with a guy who was rejoining who lost a good chunk of thumb because of frost bite.  Not cool.  Also I'm sure that rule (like many) happened because someone at some point thought it was a good idea to eat them, or rip the package open and rub themselves with it, or added it to water to make coffee, or fell asleep with them somewhere and woke up with burns.  Reminds me of the other rule I kept seeing everywhere.  Do not iron or steam cloths while you wear them.

Indeed, I'm sure the vast majority of rules out there that don't seem to make sense were put into place because somewhere someone did something really stupid.

Hey Everyone,
I leave for BMQ Feb 1 at St.Jean. Any advice for additional gear not mentioned I might find myself regretting forgetting?
I know I'm going to get the obligatory response of only bring what's on the list but I've also read to invest in a pair of glove liners, liner socks and, reluctantly, hand warmers. Any advice and/or shitshooting in general would be appreciated, I'm excited 😘

OldSoulFreshMeat said:
Hey Everyone,
I leave for BMQ Feb 1 at St.Jean. Any advice for additional gear not mentioned I might find myself regretting forgetting?
I know I'm going to get the obligatory response of only bring what's on the list but I've also read to invest in a pair of glove liners, liner socks and, reluctantly, hand warmers. Any advice and/or shitshooting in general would be appreciated, I'm excited 😘

Can't tell you much more then what is already here, plus I am not in the armed forces. Having said that I work outside in -30 relativity often.

But I'll reiterate if allowed buy good thermals, best socks you can and cycle out your socks as often as possible. I wear helly hansen or carhartt jeans and thermals allow me to comfortable in -30. But do note, there is varying levels for them and the varying levels restrict movement in different ways.

Wish I had more to offer. Good luck in BMQ and make us proud mate.
Abdullah

Back