• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter BMQ

ChopperHead

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are basic training courses that run during the winter Im sure there is but you never know and are they the same as the summer courses? If this has already been talked about then just post a link for me. ok Thanx

Kyle.

A quick search with "BMQ in Winter" results 3 or 4 threads with same title as yous.

I know the Reg Force runs BMQ year round.

Now if anyone's got info about winter dates, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

tahnx the other threads pretty much gave me what i wanted to know I just didnt want to go thru hundreds of posts so i didnt bother to search but aparently I didnt have to so next time Ill try first.

( Mods You can lock this thread now)

Kyle.

I was just wondering what basic training is like during the winter.  Like will we still do outdoor PT in the mornings or will it be indoor.

Well i am going in January bmq i hope, but all i know is that you will do pt a lots of pt and it will be outside, its the army. Basically you will do the same things as if it was summer so if you are applying 031 infantry or anything else you better be in good shape and not scared of the -40c and the snow ;D

Cheers :salute: :cdn:

It will be all the same as the summer. Like Wolfe says... it's the army.

When you're running outside though... after about 5 minutes you won't even notice the cold. Don't worry too much about it!

SeanPaul_031 said:
Do they make you shovel snow on base?
Of course not, that's why we issue snowshoes.  Actually, a small army of oompaloompahs are on constant standby, and you will wake every morning to freshly shovelled walks, and the smell of maple nut crunch coffee and Belgian Waffles....

Kat

Ah!    That sweet smell of Belgian Waffles and Maple Syrup, first thing in the morning!

I'm going back to Borden in January. I'm pretty sure that you will still do pt and ruck marches whether it's -40 or +1 degrees outside.

I think the winter course should be very interesting. It's hard enough doing ruck marches when the outside temp is +30 or more with the humidex, but to pack all that stuff and wear winter clothing should be a bigger challenge. If we still do 11 minute kilometres in the snow then I have a feeling my old legs are going to be even shapelier than they already are! And oh the PAIN!!!!!!

Good thing the MIR has a seemingly unlimited supply of Motrin.

Hum well i prefer to run in the winter in -40c then to run in +30 and the humidex at least in winter maybe its cold but like infamous_p said:
after 5 min you won't even notice the cold and you will get some cold fresh air wile you run and its not the case in summer.....winter bmq should be interesting. :eek:

Cheers :salute: :cdn: :salute:

PS: O and i don't mind shovel some snow....its fun  ;D

listen to your instructors. They will tell you how to dress to avoid injury. They will keep an eye on you to prevent cold injuries. Everything else is up to you. You're a Canadian. You were born to the cold. It will suck at times. If it were easy, anybody could do it, and it wouldn't be worth doing.

Do not feed the oompahloompahs! They bite, and can be rabid.

i'm a reservist and just finished my application process, and i'm not sure if I would get accpeted into the next winter bmq..but definitely looking forward to it...i have camped many times in freezing cold weather and know what its like...so it should be a good experience..definitely looking forward to it...

paracowboy said:
listen to your instructors. They will tell you how to dress to avoid injury. They will keep an eye on you to prevent cold injuries. Everything else is up to you. You're a Canadian. You were born to the cold. It will suck at times. If it were easy, anybody could do it, and it wouldn't be worth doing.

Do not feed the oompahloompahs! They bite, and can be rabid.

I will barely have enough time to feed myself. Let those little mugs get their own damn food!  :threat:

I'm guessing that BMQ in the fall/winter would probably be easier than summer BMQ. I hate the heat when running. As for shovelling, it's one of my favorite things to do :)

paracowboy said:
You're a Canadian. You were born to the cold. 

You take that back!  I was born in Vancouver...I know not of this cold!  ;D

Cold was -11 last winter when my car wouldn't start without being given some gas because something in the fuel lines froze.  :-[

Heh *chuckles*

Try living here where the wind comes in off the bay. There were many times where we would welcome -11, as opposed to the typical -25 or -30 not including that cursed windchill.

Back